• Register
  • Help

Topic: ARIA options panel

Share/Bookmark

ARIA options panel

Must be overlooked, but I can't find this.

Raymond

Re: ARIA options panel

What should it contain? Aria has plenty of options: which ones are you looking for specifically?
    Theo

Quote Originally Posted by FLWrd View Post
    What should it contain? Aria has plenty of options: which ones are you looking for specifically?
    The one where I can check/uncheck the default setting: reacting on CC#7/CC#10.

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    The one where I can check/uncheck the default setting: reacting on CC#7/CC#10.
    That does not seem to be available. I cannot find it, nor another way to disable/enable response to controllers, and the manual indeed suggests it, like you mentioned in another thread. Probably there is a way to do it by editting the sfz files, but that's slightly tricky and dangerous.

Do you need it for a specific purpose?
    Theo

Yes, I want it unchecked, both. In the early days of Kontakt Player 1 I could set it or not, depending on the info sent by the MIDI. It should have been available in KP2, but it wasn't. The only thing in KP2 was that it seemed to be defaulted unchecked.

Now with the ARIA player(in SONAR) I have to give the MIDI tracks the panning AND volume the value they will get when directed to AUDIO tracks.
    Besides that, the program should behave like the manual says (and vice versa).

Somehow this written entry escaped the attention of the programmers.

Thank you for the reply, after all I didn't overlook anything.

Raymond

Or we both did...
    Theo

Quote Originally Posted by FLWrd View Post
    Or we both did...
    It is Friday evening, so who knows?!

Raymond

After reviewing the entire manual for GPO4, other than references to volume and pan "options" control on page 157, there is no other reference to "ARIA player options panel". I contacted Support, and after several exchanges, I was told that options panel does not exist, and that the manual is incorrect. I find it difficult to believe that GPO4 would have the ability to input volume and pan data from a sequencer, then turn it off by default, and not allow it to be turned on! This seems to me to be a serious flaw in GPO4. I was told to use cc#1 for individual note volume control and cc#7 for global volume. This doesn't seem to work that way, rather the reverse.

My sequencer generates for each instrument(channel/track) the pitch, duration and velocity(=volume) of each note. For pizzicato and percussion, GPO4 does seem to be able to recognize the volume value from the sequencer, but not from the legato sounds. My only solution is to add a separate cc#7 instruction in my sequencer output to GPO4 if I need to adjust the note volume. Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Lowe View Post
    After reviewing the entire manual for GPO4, other than references to volume and pan "options" control on page 157, there is no other reference to "ARIA player options panel". I contacted Support, and after several exchanges, I was told that options panel does not exist, and that the manual is incorrect. I find it difficult to believe that GPO4 would have the ability to input volume and pan data from a sequencer, then turn it off by default, and not allow it to be turned on! This seems to me to be a serious flaw in GPO4. I was told to use cc#1 for individual note volume control and cc#7 for global volume. This doesn't seem to work that way, rather the reverse.

My sequencer generates for each instrument(channel/track) the pitch, duration and velocity(=volume) of each note. For pizzicato and percussion, GPO4 does seem to be able to recognize the volume value from the sequencer, but not from the legato sounds. My only solution is to add a separate cc#7 instruction in my sequencer output to GPO4 if I need to adjust the note volume. Hope this helps!
    KP2 had a feature to enable response to volume and pan controllers through the Instrument Options panel. ARIA did away with that, and the ARIA player will respond to CC7 and CC10 data in MIDI tracks automatically. IMHO KP2's extra step of having to enable CC7/CC10 response was unnecessary, and I'm sure led to some confusion when people forgot that they had to activate that instrument option.

From what you said, I gather that you're using a keyboard to create your music directly in a sequencer. If this is the case, you should be able to use your keyboard's mod wheel to record CC1 data in your sequencer's MIDI tracks. I use a notation program myself, so I don't know how you'd do it, but I think this is something you would set up in your sequencer. Please bear in mind that CC1 controls volume only for the sustain instruments, and key velocity controls the note attack speed. Lower velocity values produce a softer attack, and higher values produce a sharper and more accented one. The non-sustain instruments (short bow and pizzicato strings, percussion, and piano) use key velocity exclusively to control volume, and will not respond to CC1.

Regarding CC7, there are two ways you can go about it. The first is to set the volume slider for each instrument in ARIA's mixer panel. Without any CC7 data in your MIDI tracks, the sliders stay where they are, so in that sense CC7 is "global". However, you can make channel volume changes with CC7, which in effect automates the volume sliders in ARIA. With that said, you should always treat CC1 (for the sustain instruments) and key velocity (for the non-sustain instruments) as your primary volume controllers, and use CC7 only as a supplemental controller for adjusting dynamic levels and instrument balances. This is because GPO programs timbral changes with CC1 and key velocity, so the instrument sounds change as they get louder and softer. If you only use CC7 to control volume changes, you'll lose that subtle but rather decently realistic element of GPO's instrument programming. By the way, CC7 data has to be added manually into MIDI tracks. I use Sonar, and I can do this either by drawing in CC7 data using the piano roll view, or I can focus a track and use "insert controllers" under the edit menu.

Hope that helps.

Steve

Go Back to forum