• Register
  • Help

Topic: Tonehammer Announces Epic Guitars (Teaser)

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up Tonehammer Announces Epic Guitars (Teaser)

In just 4 days, Tonehammer is unleashing a full f'ing bucket-load of metal on you. We present our Epic Guitars.

We spent over six months developing this library with one of the best heavy session guitar players in the Scandinavia, Danne Forsblom. Danne used his custom 6, 7 and 8 string guitars through a variety of different amps and custom FX pedals. All riffs were recorded between 4 to 16 times over (Yes, friggin 16 times!) with ultra-tight precision, resulting in a truly massive wall-of-guitar sound. The quad-stacked dual-layer mixing technique is controlled by modwheel adjustment on your keyboard controller.

The library contains nearly 2000 riffs/phrases/licks, which are divided into 7 core tempos from 80, 90, 100, 110, 120, 130 and 140 BPM. All the loops/riffs were meticulously edited, so they stay in sync and adapt to host tempo, so you can literally use the loops in any tempo you desire. The style of the library is a mixture of nu metal, death metal and thrash, with a touch of hard rock/funk on top. Every patch also includes special key-switching to allow for up to +/- 3 semitones of on-the-fly root pitch adjustment. There are host-tempo synching, time-stretching, vowel filter wah-wah and dfd-ready versions of every instrument patch, for maximum flexibility.

We also wanted to ensure longevity and variety in the content, so it contains a large selection of more traditional rhythm riffs, as well as more aggressive, experimental and industrial grooves. With our Epic Guitars, users can literally create an endless variety of new songs out of the content in a matter of minutes. The wavs are also directly accessible, to allow limitless creative potential.

Beware, this entire library is pure metal. There are pretty much no clean tones to be found. However, every loop was recorded bone-dry, without any reverb or other spatial effects added anywhere. This library is designed especially for Kontakt 3 and later, but includes sets of Kontakt 2-compatible patches and exs24 patches as well.

We're releasing it on Monday, Dec. 14th, at a special intro price of $79 (note: the price goes up to $99 on December 26th).

Check out our new HD teaser video, featuring a variety of choice cuts from our Epic Guitars:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LCqbf6UNZY

Learn more about Tonehammer's Epic Guitars here:
    http://www.tonehammer.com/?p=2610

And check out our demos:
    http://www.tonehammer.com/demos/tone..._1_dressed.mp3

http://www.tonehammer.com/demos/tone..._2_dressed.mp3

Re: Tonehammer Announces Epic Guitars (Teaser)

Sweet!

Dude!!!!!!

Such an effort, and for what ?? Loops ?? I got really excited by the name of the topic but the fact it is all loops made me...

What we really need and what the market does not have is really detailed and precise Metal Guitar 7 string library with articulations, not some loops.

Articulations like - sustain ( of course ), staccatto, fast staccato, vibrato, non vibrato, wide vibrato ( all 3 mod wheel controlable for example ) ( and muted controled with cc number whatever ) real legato, real slides, harmonis natural artificial pinched and so on...

Double Ditto. Great company. Wrong approach. Totally.

--JC

Quote Originally Posted by Flajolet View Post
    Such an effort, and for what ?? Loops ?? I got really excited by the name of the topic but the fact it is all loops made me...

What we really need and what the market does not have is really detailed and precise Metal Guitar 7 string library with articulations, not some loops.

Articulations like - sustain ( of course ), staccatto, fast staccato, vibrato, non vibrato, wide vibrato ( all 3 mod wheel controlable for example ) ( and muted controled with cc number whatever ) real legato, real slides, harmonis natural artificial pinched and so on...

A quick note on why this library is exclusively loop-based:

We believe playability and quality. The electric guitar is one of those instruments that can't be simplified down to a collection of core articulations and velocity/round robin stacks spread out over a keyboard. Chord-based guitar playing simply isn't something that can be multi-sampled convincingly without an enormous number of samples and profoundly complex scripting and programming. The technology to do it right and make it sound totally real simply isn't readily available at this time. And if we can't satisfy our own ears, we can't call it Tonehammer.

There's a time and place for individual mutli-samples. If you know us, you know we're all about that. This library is all about live performance, power, tone and precision. When the time and technology is there to allow us to do it the way we like to do things, then we'll explore multi-sampled guitar.

We believe in soul. Excellent expert guitar playing of this type, calibre is hard to come by and can't readily be programmed from loose samples with an end-result this tight and powerful, even when using the best single-note libraries currently available. The only better way to get playing like this is to record it yourself and pour your guts into it. Just like our forgotten voices libraries, this is also about the soul and energy that Danne puts into his playing, not just the 1's and 0's. The passion that carries through into the samples simply can't be faked.

Lastly, like the rest of our "Epic" instrument line, this library is primarily designed for game, film and scoring composers who need immediate access to the best sound they can get right out of the box. This library is a very precise tool for a very specific kind of job, built for those who live under the eternal spectre of tight deadlines. There are lots of different ways to use it, but it's especially powerful and effective for the purpose it was designed for. It's certainly not the right library for everyone in need of guitar samples, but for those who need this sound, depth and functionality, it's the best tool for the job.

cheers!

I understand and appreciate your POV, Mike. But for guys like me, this is as much a religious war as anything else. To me, 'construction set', 'loop library', 'music under deadline' and so on are just euphemisms for 'pleasant sounding sonic wallpaper'. I've had this argument with Bela and other devs and from what I gather, I am in a very small minority so I'm sure you'll make many sales with it. Sounds great. But if I could change your mind about the whole -concept- of 'construction sets'? I would.

Regards,

---JC

Suntower, I understand your philosophical point of view, but part of what we do is tool building in a true classical sense.

If we made tools for painters, whether we made fine fabric, or paints, or canvas, or brushes - different artists would need different tools. There is no right tool. Only the right tool for you.

Just like in art, photography, film making, or good old fashioned construction or any other trade, craftsmen and artisans have different needs and wants in the tools they use every day.

If you need a screwdriver and I sell hammers, you can't really proclaim that I make poor quality screwdrivers. But I can probably point you in the direction of a good screwdriver maker, if that's what you need. Check out Orange Tree Samples.

I would also add this - there aren't a lot of really good guitar multi-sample libraries out there for good reason. It's simply one of the most complicated instruments in the world to sample - by any measure. To top it off, there are an endless number of very different ways to try and go about it, every one of which invariably would offend somebody's sensibilities or taste. But in the end, you've got to start somewhere and you've got to offend some sensibilities to build anything worth a damn.

Come on guys. A non-loop guitar library that sounds like these loops isn't realistic, especially not with this price. If you're not satisfied with what Tonehammer offers here then learn to play guitar or find someone to do it for you. Simple as that.
    /the Babies

Quote Originally Posted by Flajolet View Post

Isn't there enough great multi sampled guitar libraries out there?
    Just off the top of my head:
    Orange tree Strawberry
    http://www.orangetreesamples.com/str...lectric-guitar
    Lyrical distortion
    http://www.lyricaldistortion.com/sto...59579464333d7d
    Sample oddity Thrash metal guitar
    http://www.sampleoddity.com/2009/11/...itar-released/
    Prominy LPC and SC
    http://www.prominy.com/products.htm
    RealLPC - should be out soon.
    http://www.musiclab.com/products/reallpc_info.htm
    Pettin house Direct guitar
    You'll have to google that one. NS deletes the link.

Then there's of course Precisionsounds Monzter guitars and Cinesamples Iron guitar as well, but they might not have enough articulations.

Go Back to forum