• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Garritan Steinway - Last Snow Before Spring

Share/Bookmark

Garritan Steinway - Last Snow Before Spring

Here's a little lyrical cue I put together for a TV show demo. The Garritan Official Steinway is the centerpiece, and I had a lot of fun playing with the settings to get the vibe *just* right. I added some strings and just a hint of synth from Kjaerhus Audio's "Spectra".

http://www.titanlinemusic.com/2009/1...before-spring/

Enjoy.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Re: Garritan Steinway - Last Snow Before Spring

Absolutely beautiful - love the slight piano dischords.

Merry Xmas to all Garritan forum members

xxx

Perfect for such a scene, nicely balanced. Piano sound is not completely natural, but the character is indeed just right between soft and hard. Nice basses in the strings, too. I guess the scene has to transmit a slight tristesse, melancholy perhaps?
    Theo

Thanks for the feedback. It's definitely not a "natural" sound in the sense that it's not what you'd hear if sitting in an auditorium listening to someone play with the level of dynamic that I used for the part. Aside from juicing the overall level I amp'd up the mechanical noise and sympathetic resonance more than any cue I've produced with the Steinway and EQ'd some of the hammer thump out. I really like all of those "little things" that make a piano sound like a piano, and know they needed to be there for the kind of "intimacy" (for lack of a better word) that I considered necessary for the part. I don't think there's another VI out there that will let you hold a pedal-sustained chord overlay and hear the complexities play out like the real thing. The Garritan Steinway does it in spades. The thing I really love about it is that you have the flexibility to create a multi-mic'd sound for as much realism or "preparation" as the cue requires.

The notes on the cue itself is as follows:
    Floating sense of light snowfall; a contemplative moment is indulged before the spring thaw brings fighting season again.
    So if you heard a sense of somberness in the string part, then I suppose I got it right. This is the second of three cues to demo for a TV show about the war in Afghanistan. A friend of mine who is a producer for the show is also a veteran and knows what it's like to be in-theater, if you know what I mean. There's no guarantee that my music will be used so right now I'm just indulging my own ideas about what I'd like to hear in the music - and see whether that resonates with the other producers of the show. This weekend I'm working on a high-energy orchestral cue entitled "Road to Kandahar".

I wish you success. I've certainly heard worse music in big-budget TV shows. I'm curious about the high energy cue to, so perhaps I'll check out your website from time to time, if only for the lovely tag cloud!
    Theo

Quote Originally Posted by FLWrd View Post
    I wish you success. I've certainly heard worse music in big-budget TV shows. I'm curious about the high energy cue to, so perhaps I'll check out your website from time to time, if only for the lovely tag cloud!
    LOL! Thanks for the back-handed compliment. I certainly agree with your sentiment. There's nothing worse than checking out a show that you *want* to be excited about - only to be let down by the music, the writing, etc., etc.
    Landing a gig on TV isn't my only goal, but this is a really great project that I hope gains some legs.

And yeah - Wordpress is the bomb, for many reasons not the least of which are the many great plugins that are available (WP-Cumulus is one of my personal faves).

Great writing Houston. It really brings home the theory that,
    "Less is More." A delicate piano sound and some great string
    work make this a luscious undertaking.

Hope your entree makes a hit.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Hello Houston Haynes!;
    Nice! I checked out all on your Online Reel too!! Skillful and versatile, well tempered judgment, shaped by much experience, I'd say.
    Thanks for sharing your stuff, always a surprise for me, the depth of the membership roster of the LR!!!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Hey - thanks so much. I've spent some time tweaking the player settings and whatnot, and still waiting on an update from the plugin's designer to be able to re-arrange the order. Once that's in place that I'll start rotating some new stuff in and shuffling things around a bit.

This is well constructed, intimate, and evokes an eerily sad emotion (from me anyway). I love the tension in the melodic line of the piano and the darkness of the subtle string accompaniment. Thanks for letting us hear this and I wish you well in the production of the TV show.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast