• Register
  • Help

Topic: Anyone know how to ....

Share/Bookmark

Anyone know how to ....

... create the "flourish" (I'm not sure of the terminology) in the following song sample? It occurs about 8-seconds into this link ..... where the song is transitioning from the bridge to verse and the strings do a run up the scale.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-M_HhVXEsI

Thanks - bpoco

NOTE: I also posted this in "Tips and Techniques" but subsequently figured this was a better spot for my question.

Re: Anyone know how to ....

It sounds like a scale or chromatic run in the high strings (probably sixteenth notes). I would experiment with entering note patterns into your sequencer or notation program and finding a sound that is similar to what you hear. Make sure the notes are slurred (connected using the sustain pedal CCs) as this will give the smoother sound that I heard in the example. Know your starting and ending pitches than it is easier to get the right number of notes in between those two places.

It is harder to explain since I don't know if you are using notation software or a sequencer and whether you read music or just do it by ear and play it at a keyboard. Good luck and I hope I helped a little.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

It's definitely a string run/arpeggio, over some kind of chord, and it probably starts in eights (or quarters) and then accelerates as it goes upward. I think it takes a step down again too just before accelerating, but that's hard to hear. Don't forget the importance of the underlying chord change just before the end of the run.
    Theo

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    It sounds like a scale or chromatic run in the high strings (probably sixteenth notes). I would experiment with entering note patterns into your sequencer or notation program and finding a sound that is similar to what you hear. Make sure the notes are slurred (connected using the sustain pedal CCs) as this will give the smoother sound that I heard in the example. Know your starting and ending pitches than it is easier to get the right number of notes in between those two places.

It is harder to explain since I don't know if you are using notation software or a sequencer and whether you read music or just do it by ear and play it at a keyboard. Good luck and I hope I helped a little.
    RichR - thanks. I'm getting closer to the sound I'm looking for. I'm using 32nd notes running up the chord. But - it still sounds a bit synthy/staccato. I'm using a Piano Roll view in Sonar 3.0

Can you elaborate on the sustain pedal CCs you mention? You're talking about CC#64 right?

Currently, I'm just overlapping the notes a little with no CC #64. I think GPO (version 3 in my case) provides an automatic legato when that is done. Right?

But - if I were to use CC#64, when would I apply the pedal and when would I release it? I've tried applying it during the middle of ... say Note #1 .. and releasing it just after Note #2 starts ... but it seems like Note #1 "hangs around" for too long and I end up getting it to sound like two notes playing simultaneously.

Any ideas or suggestions would be welcomed.

BPOCO

and don't forget the harp gliss...

Currently, I'm just overlapping the notes a little with no CC #64. I think GPO (version 3 in my case) provides an automatic legato when that is done. Right?
    The best legato sound in GPO is with the use of CC#64. In Sonar's piano roll window you can set the CC64 (pedal) on by putting a line in the graph area at the bottom of the window all the way to the top (actually anything past 64 or halfway up the scale. During the last note of the slur put a CC64 set to 0 to turn off the pedal and stop the slurring.

I hope that wasn't to vague. Kind of hard to describe without a picture of the piano roll screen. I will try to make a picture and post it here in your topic if that would help. Let me know.

Oh and make sure you have the polyphony for that instrument set to 1 or you will get the overlapping sounds to play as if a chord was sounding.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    The best legato sound in GPO is with the use of CC#64. In Sonar's piano roll window you can set the CC64 (pedal) on by putting a line in the graph area at the bottom of the window all the way to the top (actually anything past 64 or halfway up the scale. During the last note of the slur put a CC64 set to 0 to turn off the pedal and stop the slurring.

Oh and make sure you have the polyphony for that instrument set to 1 or you will get the overlapping sounds to play as if a chord was sounding.
    RichR - thanks again!! You've taught me something about MIDI legato that I didn't know .... into the toolkit it goes.

I didn't mention that I'm not implementing this arpeggio with individual instruments, per se. Instead, I'm using the "lush strings" instrument collection. By definition, the polyphony for these must be large since it's attempting to recreate a group of instruments. When I apply the legato tip you gave me, I get the chord sound you mention. If I reduce polyphony, I get lush-less strings .

When I isolate the different string groups (violins, cellos, etc), they do seem to have an auto-legato. I'm guessing this feature is inherent to "string groups".

Perhaps the synthy sound I'm hearing has more to do with my decision to use the "lush strings" approach, as opposed to building up the strings instrument by instrument. I will post my attempt-to-date in the next couple of days for feedback (but I first need to get that harp gliss in there).

Thanks again for your time - BPOCO

Perhaps the synthy sound I'm hearing has more to do with my decision to use the "lush strings" approach, as opposed to building up the strings instrument by instrument. I will post my attempt-to-date in the next couple of days for feedback (but I first need to get that harp gliss in there).
    You can also turn down the velocity on the attacks of the notes and that will smooth out the full string sections. I find it best to blend solo instruments with the section instruments. That way the individual instruments can help smooth out phrases or add stereo depth you can otherwise achieve with one sampled group. It is easy to get one string line done and then duplicate the tracks. I usually move the tracks a few ticks ahead so that the players aren't playing exactly together (sounds more realistic to me).

Rich

Go Back to forum