• Register
  • Help

Topic: Mozart's second movement of the first concerto for french horn and orchestra

Mozart's second movement of the first concerto for horn and orchestra KV-412

Hello people,

For my first piece made with GPO, I have chosen a piece from Mozart.
    It's the second movement of the first concerto for french horn and orchestra KV-412.

I have started it yesterday.

Here is the beginning of this concerto:

Let me know if it is realistic and if it is valuable to continue it to the end.

There is no spoon.

Re: Mozart's second movement of the first concerto for french horn and orchestra

Hi, that's fast!

It's a bit dry to my taste (I would add more reverb). The balance between the instruments is good, although the strings during the horn passages could be somewhat louder, and during the other sections a bit softer. I would also like to hear a bit more bass (either a higher volume for cello, bass and bassoon, or EQ it a bit), and a lower tempo.

The only problem that I hear, is that there is a bit of the machine gun effect, which is hard to avoid when notes repeat so quickly. I can think of several strategies to make them render more fluidly, but I would like to see what others have to comment!!

1. Randomize attack velocity, volume, duration and position all a little bit for each note
    2. Set the controls VAR1 and VAR2 to small values (they are controllers, so you can just set them to e.g. 10 or so during the repetitions).
    3. Make the gap between two repeated notes longer or shorter, and change the attack velocity on the second note, and listen what happens. I like a slightly larger gap and a slow attack on the 2nd note, but this strategy also depends on the tempo.
    4a. It sounds like there are multiple lines for each instrument (two flutes, two bassoons, ...). Choose different players/instruments for them, and then
    4b. Switch lines between identical instruments. So, when flute 1 has to play A A A, and flute 2 E E E, you could make them play A E A, and E A E. The chords will be the same, but there won't be a repetition of the same sample.
    5. Also, move the expression/volume controller (the mod wheel) a bit during each bar, e.g. to give each first beat a bit more attack, a stronger accent, and then let it slowly drop. Since this piece is rather rhythmical, it could work.

But it sounds promising. Fiddle around, and trust your ears...

Anyone got other tips?

Go Back to forum