• Register
  • Help

Topic: Christmas Tune

Christmas Tune

Hi all,

This is a traditional French Christmas carol and it is my first complete project using MIDI and software instruments (it's all GPO in this recording). I have definitely learned a lot working with this piece, but any comments/critiques--whether musical or technical in nature--will be greatly appreciated. And of course, I hope you enjoy the listen!

Merry Christmas!

Link: http://www.box.net/shared/k435237mya

Re: Christmas Tune

I regret having to say that I am not familiar with this carol. What is its title?

Regarding your arrangement, I am impressed by the level of skill evidenced by this recording. Considering how good this sounds, imagine how fine your renders will be once you have completed several projects. I find that with every piece I sequence I learn something new.

My only suggestion is that you always aim for naturalism in your performance. Remember, you are performing for us through the use of this technology. Sing with these samples as if you are singing with your own voice.

Fine work, Julie.

Very nice, Jule,

Similar to Sean, I cannot place the tune, but I especially like your feeling for contrast, and the ebb and flow of this arrangement is fantastic.

I hesitate to criticize the rendering too much because I don't like to point out things that I don't know how to fix. I'm curious, what software are you using for the sequencing? Sometimes the note transitions seem to "stumble" a little bit, and I think there might be a way to make the playing, especially in the strings, more legato.

All in all, you have an ear for arranging and this is a great first effort. I certainly look forward to hearing more!

Some nice work, Jule.
    Overall this piece works.
    I woulld say that you should have a more flowing bass, smooth and like a "walking bass."
    Try to soften the ends of phrases in sustained notes. The abrupt changes can be aided by lowering volume and making the notes shorter(staccato.)

Go Back to forum