• Register
  • Help

Topic: K4 Player - Memory Hog?

K4 Player - Memory Hog?

Some time ago, I received an e-mail message from NI, after submitting a rather negative response to a survey about why I had not upgraded. It assured me that Kontakt 4 would address many of the problems, quirks and shortcoming of previous versions. It promised that the new player would make a better host for my Garritan and other sample libraries (than K2 full version, I assume, because that's what I am using.)

I have to say that I was more impressed by the few demo sample libraries than any of the changes to Kontakt itself. But I encountered a nasty surprise when I tried to burn a test CD using some of them in a couple of my tracks. The new sounds were absent from the mix, though the MIDI files played back fine in Sonar. Life being too short to mess with this, I stopped using the K4 player, with the idea that I might fool around with it at a later date.

In the last couple of weeks, Sonar began acting strangely, reporting I had run out of memory (not RAM, as I understand it, but "addressable memory space") and even crashing occassionally, which I have never seen. I couldn't figure out the cause. I am running 32-bit Win XP Pro on my DAW. I am using Sonar 6, K2, GPO, JABB, etc. which is more than I need to do the kinds of things I do. I am composing for a small pit orchestra for the musical theater. Not many instruments, ever -- even if I give every articulation its own track.

Well, you can probably guess where I'm going with this. Today I hit upon the idea of removing the K4 player -- and, as soon as I did, all the problems went away. (Just having the plug-in installed was causing the memory drain. I wasn't actually trying to use it in any of my projects.)

Allegro Data Solutions

Re: K4 Player - Memory Hog?

Hey, ejr,

I haven't noticed the memory issues, but I have a severe interface issue with K4. Namely, it cuts off the left side of my instrument panels. Do you have this problem?

The moment JABB ARIA is available, I intend to delete every instance of Kontakt 2, 3 and 4 from my system. I've suspected this problem existed, even though mine wasn't as severe as yours.
    Dean L. Surkin
    Steinway A104030
    Sonar X2 (professional), Finale 2011, JABB 3, GPO

No problem with instrument panels as far as I can tell, but virtually anything can happen in Windows with low memory or system resources.

Allegro Data Solutions

Go Back to forum