• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: KRK monitors - to DPDAN

Share/Bookmark

KRK monitors - to DPDAN

Hi Dan,

last week I was looking for the KRK Rokit 8 G2 to buy. The internet store I usually enter for purchasing stuff had them in stock. But due to some unexpected circumstances I wasn't being able to make the buy, so I tried it again today. Now they aren't in stock anymore and removed from their list[why that Internet store? Because they had some discount and they deliver them free at home - I dont have a car!!!]

I was directed to the KRK VXT 8 monitors, costing almost twice as much.
    Comparing the two versions, - reading the spec's - I can't decide which one to buy (I found another shop, where they have those RoKit 8 still in stock.)

Are those Rokits suitable and don't I need the VXT 8? It is in fact a rather small room I am working in and far from any definition of a studio.

Raymond

Re: KRK monitors - to DPDAN

The VXT series is considered pro level.
    The Rokits are not in the same category.
    The Rokits are still good.

You most likely don't need 8".
    You could get the VXT 6 if you think you want to get more pro level monitors.

Also, I have heard the Rokit 6 and think they sound better than the Rokit 8.
    Maybe that's just personal preference.
    I tend to think most 6" monitors sound better than the 8"versions.
    They tend to have cleaner midrange with less inter modulation distortion.

Typically, speakers with bigger woofers produce significantly better, deeper, fatter low end response. Remember I said "typically". I have never heard a monitor speaker with a six inch or smaller "woofer", that had anywhere near enough low end energy to faithfully produce what is actually going on in a mix, without the addition of a separate subwoofer, which also means another crossover point.

Smaller speaker and microphone components of equal design and build quality are almost always more detailed and accurate sounding. Many engineers prefer large diaphragm microphones because of their "WARM" sound. Large diaphragm microphones do generally produce a hyped or exaggerated low end tone, which is usually a welcomed quality especially when recording vocals in a studio. Smaller capsule microphones are significantly better at recording symphonies, and full range instruments like piano and pipe organ. This does not mean that smaller capsule mics are not as capable of picking up extreme low end, in fact, there really is no direct rule or law that says bigger is better.

Quote Originally Posted by P.T. View Post
    I tend to think most 6" monitors sound better than the 8"versions.
    They tend to have cleaner midrange with less inter modulation distortion.
    Just because I am content recommending Rokit 8 G2 speakers because they produce decent frequency response, does not mean that someone, somewhere makes a two way monitor with a six inch woofer that may have even better response.

An interesting observation is the sound of dual 15 inch subwoofers in the commercial concert touring systems as opposed to dual 18 inch subs. While the 18 inch variety will produce more energy (AIR) they simply can not as accurately reproduce the sound of those frequencies with as much accuracy, simply because of the mass of the speaker cones,...hence the inter-modulation distortion PT is referring to. Not the kind of distortion like the sound of an analog tape machine with the VU meters pegged to the max.

In the past, I have recommended the Rokit 8 G2 because it does a decent job of all frequencies, in other words, the mid range (most important) is decent, and the high end is also not exaggerated or false sounding. These Rokit 8 G2 speakers DO NOT need a subwoofer. Subwoofers are for speakers that can't produce even the human range of hearing.

I would never recommend a pair of studio monitors with anything smaller than 8 inches PERIOD

Let me conclude...

A twelve inch speaker can move back and forth 30 times per second (30 CPS, cycles per second) without any strain, just as easily as a two inch speaker. The size of the living space where these monitor speakers will be used, and the listener, will dictate whether or not the expected volume and fidelity is sufficient. A two-way monitor speaker system with an eight inch woofer should be very adequate for mixing music in small environments like home studios (bedroom).

Dan

Thumbs up Re: KRK monitors - to DPDAN

I'm using KRK Rokit 8's and I do have the 10s as well. I rarely use the sub unless listening to some favorites "Like Sinatra". So far, I am very pleased and I am told my mix sound significantly better.
    Styxx

KRK's are well made. But they are mainly suited to rock/pop music monitoring. And don't use a sub unless it's completely necessary. In most small rooms it's not.

All of you, thank you for the good advice. Today I got the Rokit 8 G2 (the one with the rounded edges). Installed them already. Tested them. And now it comes to know: what do I hear.... and how to manage the sound in order to make "excellent" renderings [ but nobody can beat Dan Kury ].

Raymond - looking at those yellow eyes staring at me.......

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
    KRK's are well made. But they are mainly suited to rock/pop music monitoring. And don't use a sub unless it's completely necessary. In most small rooms it's not.
    Why do you say the KRK's are more suited to pop/rock music and are you referring particularly to the 'Rokits' or the 'VSTs' or just KRKs in general?

The reason I ask is that I thought one of the main things about quality studio monitors is that they have a flat response. My understanding is that these speakers (flat response) should give an ubiased sounding of our tracks, neither adding to nor taking away from the signal.

If my understanding is correct then a true flat response studio monitor should not influence the music towards rock, pop, classical, jazz or whatever rather than just give a true account as possible of the source.

I can understand the run-of-the-mill stereo speakers available in the high street shops being biased one way or another, but professional studio monitors .. ? Surely they should be 'neutral'.

Thanks.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk View Post
    If my understanding is correct then a true flat response studio monitor should not influence the music towards rock, pop, classical, jazz or whatever rather than just give a true account as possible of the source.
    .... that is correct. Certainly some microphones are designed for certain instruments because they clip on, or mount a certain way, it does not mean that a specifically designed mic could not be used for something besides it's intended purpose.

To say that these KRK Rokit 8 G2 monitors are designed for pop/rock is an unusually inaccurate comment.

Raymond, I am glad you got a pair. Just trust that what you hear while mixing with them, is an accurate representation for the rest of the world. Certainly, good monitors will not force someone to use proper legato and rubato while they make their music, but they will provide you with enough accuracy to recognize when something sounds too brittle, shrill or boomy etc.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk View Post
    Why do you say the KRK's are more suited to pop/rock music and are you referring particularly to the 'Rokits' or the 'VSTs' or just KRKs in general?

The reason I ask is that I thought one of the main things about quality studio monitors is that they have a flat response. My understanding is that these speakers (flat response) should give an ubiased sounding of our tracks, neither adding to nor taking away from the signal.

I can understand the run-of-the-mill stereo speakers available in the high street shops being biased one way or another, but professional studio monitors .. ? Surely they should be 'neutral'.

Thanks.
    Sadly no speakers ever achieve flat. There is always a roll-off down to the given lowest frequency, and the shape of that roll-off might seriously compromise quite a large frequency range. The crossover between the woofer and tweeter is another point where you're unlikely to get a flat response; there will usually be a slight dip between the two. And ported montitors (as opposed to sealed models) create their lowest frequencies by having a hole that resonates; and once you start it resonating it's hard to stop it, meaning that the bass end usually has a longer delay than the frequencies coming from your cones.

Added to that, it's just almost downright impossible to get a flat response, even from a single cone. I was recently on a course where we did a lot of measuring monitors' outputs in response to a sine sweep, and there were some incredibly quirky lines that were miles away from flat - often in some very expensive monitors. Some cheaper models actually came out considerably worse than hi-fi speakers.
    David

LOL. Who cares? My ears aren't that flat anyway.......

http://www.berghuis.co.nz/abiator/weird/ears.jpg

Raymond

Go Back to forum