• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: What you think about GPO 4 solo violins?

Share/Bookmark

What you think about GPO 4 solo violins?

What you think about GPO 4 solo violins? i think some areas GPO is very nice product based dimension le but i dont be sure about solo violins. i need more what i currently have in some areas solo violin is one of these. All other areas i know well based what i heared. and i dont mean pizzicatto tones but "regular ones"...

Re: What you think about GPO 4 solo violins?

I think they are exactly the same as GPO2/3 solo violins

Seriously I believe better solo strings are part of GOS2. I'm looking forward to the release of this product as I know many are.

Steve Winkler

Yes but i need some other stuff what comes with gpo. My current orchestral library lacks to my taste good harpsicord,and some others. I use Miroslav Philharmonik. Second choice is offtopic.

Solo string vibrato control is planned for a GPO4 patch, but there's no word on when that's coming.

Quote Originally Posted by JUPEKU View Post
    Yes but i need some other stuff what comes with gpo. My current orchestral library lacks to my taste good harpsicord,and some others. I use Miroslav Philharmonik. Second choice is offtopic.
    The GPO harpsichord is one of the best sounding instruments I have ever heard and I've been around a long time.

The instrument is key-switched and three different sounds are available.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

"it depends!"

It depends on (a) what it is you are recording, (b) your chops, and (c) what other stuff will be accompanying the solo strings.

I have, and use the old Solo Strad and Gofriller violin and cello for my "finished" mock-ups, but they require a ton of effort to play, they do not work well in a notation tool.

Most of the time, if I just want to hear what something might sound like, or if I need to demonstrate some timing or other intricacies to a player I use GPO (since V1) and it works out just fine.

I could probably write a book picking nits with all of the GPO and JABB instruments if I really wanted to, and if I could justify the purchase of one of the mega libraries. But, I don't believe that was ever the intention of GPO or JABB... they are tools that are extremely easy to use (unless you want access to a couple hundred articulations), and they sound great - with the obvious caveat that they do not cover all possible articulations.

The one possible downside - and I think of it as more of an unintended consequence - is that the more you use GPO the better you get at arranging, and the more likely you will want more control over vibrato, or more articulations or whatever. So be it, you are getting better at your art and you'll need better tools.

Even without the price tag I can't think of a better first sample library because it'll meet more than 80% of your needs for a long time.

Go for it!
    Bill Thompson
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF

I think the best instruments in GPO are the harps and I'll second the comment on the harpsichord, too. They are equal or better to anything I have found elseware. I have better libraries for most of the other instruments. (I like the string basses and brass in JABB better, for example). But the GPO instruments aren't bad and most will do in a pinch. The only ones that I haven't been able to use at all are the French Horns, the pianos and nearly all the organs. [NOTE: I am still using version 1 (patched for K2) not the ARIA version. I expect you will see some improvements in the latest version.]

Rearding the strings: Although I have better libraries, I use the GPO solo strings sometimes when I need to build small sections or when I need a long sustain. The GPO strings are looped, which means that you can hold a note as long as you need to. Many other libraries contained non-looped samples for their solo strings (and advetise this as a plus). In practice, I find that sooner or later I need to hold a note longer than one of these samples and then I have to re-assign the part to a GPO instrument.

Another reason to use GPO strings over those in another library is that they lack ambiance and detail, so they mix well if you want an indistinct pad. (I usually don't use instruments in that way, but GPO has been helpful on those occassions where I have needed to do this.)

Allegro Data Solutions

Now seems i need more than one library if harpsicords are not good in product what i think i mean Complete Classical Collection 2nd Edition Peter Siedlaczek. One big problem with GPO4 is if i use mac mini i need faster harddrive if specs are true in Garritans page. I know i can buy faster external drive but makes less sence about mac mini idea etc. I talk this here becouse there is many GPO users.

Quote Originally Posted by JUPEKU View Post
    Now seems i need more than one library if harpsicords are not good in product what i think i mean Complete Classical Collection 2nd Edition Peter Siedlaczek. One big problem with GPO4 is if i use mac mini i need faster harddrive if specs are true in Garritans page. I know i can buy faster external drive but makes less sence about mac mini idea etc. I talk this here becouse there is many GPO users.
    Your post is practically unreadable. You are stringing your sentences together without interruption. Use some punctuation, especially periods.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Try again even i poor writer:
    I mean i maybe need 2 libraries more if GPO solo strings are not good. Becouse Complete Classical Collection 2nd Edition Peter Siedlaczek harpsicords are maybe also poor.(I dont like Miroslav Philharmonik harpsicords much)
    And i thinking if GPO4 really needs 7200 rpm harddrive.
    ps. i add sounds to Miroslav Philharmonik and few other sources.

Go Back to forum