• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: My 64 bit experrience (so far)

Share/Bookmark

My 64 bit experrience (so far)

I bought a new computer to replace my aging DAW. Quad Core, 8 gigs of ram, 3 SATA hard drives running Vista 64 bit. I use Cubase as my host and an Echo Layla 3G.

So far I can tell you the experience has been pretty darn good. Omnisphere used to bring my old machine to its knees. My CPU barely budges now and I load up monster patches in no time. Cubase seems to be running great as well as my VSL stuff and Komplete 6.

I have a ton of 32 bit apps like the Korg Digital collection, EWQL Stormdrum, Gold Pro XP, Sonicsynth 2, etc, etc. I was amazed that they all installed and seem to run fine under VST bridge. I thought I would have to buy JBridge to run the 32 bit apps?

So far the only issues I have are with Kore and Wizooverb. NI just released a 64 bit driver for Kore but I don't think It's working quite right yet. I have the Kore 1 controller and it seems you need to install a separate piece of software for the controller and then install the Kore 2 software. I may have to call up NI to help me out because ocassionally I get an error message and Kore locks up.

The Wizooverb issue makes me sad. I installed the software and can't license it as Wizoo no longer exists. I saw that M-Audio is supposed to be handling some legacy products including Darbuka and Wizooverb but can't find it on there site... I have Reverance with Cubase but it would be great to have all of my old VST's so that when I load up an old song all of the instruments and effects are ready and I don't have to spend time finding a Wizooverb substitution in Reverance. When a company goes out of business, like Wizoo, they should provide us with ways to install the software and license it IMO.

So, with the exception of one or two hiccups and a few extra synths to install (Albino, CronoX) I am doing way better than I thought. Kudos to Echo, Spectrasonics, VSL, NI and Steinberg for making the transformation so painless. It is such a relief to break the ram barrier.

Just thought I'd share this in case any one else was on the fence moving towards 64 bit.

Happy Holidays to all of the great people at Northern Sounds!

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Re: My 64 bit experrience (so far)

Very nice to know Darren and thanks for sharing. This is the direction I need to go also but I'm just not quite ready yet. Hoping to make the leap this next year for sure. Is this Cubase 5 then? I'm still on 4. Isnt 5 the first version for 64 bit OS? THanks again.

Cubase 5 and Studio 5 are 64-bit versions.

Glad to hear it's working alright. I'm also running Vista 64 with 4 gb ram (though thinking of getting 4 more) and I've only had a few problems with Cubase itself (hopefully fixed in the new update), no plugins or anything.
    /the Babies

Quote Originally Posted by EricWatkins View Post
    Very nice to know Darren and thanks for sharing. This is the direction I need to go also but I'm just not quite ready yet. Hoping to make the leap this next year for sure. Is this Cubase 5 then? I'm still on 4. Isnt 5 the first version for 64 bit OS? THanks again.
    Eric,

I am using Cubase 5. Again, the biggest suprise was the 32 bit apps. I have an old VST called FM Heaven that I use occasionally. I copied the .dll into the VST folder and it loaded up. I thought, "OK I can see the interface of FM Heaven but the thing won't really play", but it did. Seems to suck more CPU than Omnisphere now. Maybe that's the tradeoff of a 64 bit host bridging 32 bit apps?

Another confusing issue is my Korg Digital Legacy edition. Both the M1 and Wavesataion .dlls are in the VST folder but Cubase only sees the M1. The Wavestation is not available. Works fine in standalone mode... Even after rescanning the VST folder it won't show up. Cheeky devil, may have to threaten him with Alchemy or Titan...

Of course I haven't composed anything yet with a butt load of tracks. Perhaps the new machine is just toying with me waiting for a deadline...

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

I'm gonna buy Cubase 5 in January and officially move to the 64bit platform. Most of the VST's etc. I own already have a 64bit support so all I need is Cubase 5 and then I'm set.

I'm thinking of upgrading my Vista64 to Win7 next year too when the first service pack is out.
    Pasi Pitkänen
    Website | Facebook

Thanks Darren for sharing your experience!
    Did you have to do anything special when moving to 64bit? Or just usual install?
    Is 8GB memory enough?
    I was thinking of moving to 64bit platform too, and wondering if 8GB will be enough. The thing is, it's very hard to get a 4GB memory stick, not to mention that it's very pricey.

Cubase's bit bridge may be more or less efficient than jBridge, even though they both do the same thing. If some 32bit VSTs are giving you a hard time, you might at least give the demo of jBridge a spin (assuming there still is one) to see if it is easier on your CPU.
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

I've found Reaper x64 to be the most stable 64 bit app. so far.

I've migrated to 64 bit with Vienna Instruments, but now I cannot use Altiverb.

Hey Darren,

Here is a link that explains how to authorize Wizooverb. Hope it helps.

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=...0caac40e5dde94

Cheers,

Marco

Go Back to forum