• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: New Giga User AO or sperate collections ?

Share/Bookmark

New Giga User AO or sperate collections ?

I am new to Gigsstudio. I have the software,
    (still waiting on the soundcard). I want to make beautiful classical music. I have been lurking for a while here and was going to get AO as my starter set, but lately I have not seen it recommended very much.

I am curious, if you were just starting out and had only ~$1000 to spend would you choose AO or some other combination ?

Thanks in advance,
    Dan

Re: New Giga User AO or sperate collections ?

For strings, AO is not your best bet. For 1000 bucks wait till Gigastrings comes out (www.gigastrings.com for demos). It is a 16 CD set entirely made up of strings. It will sell for $1399.00, but if you pre-order now, you can get it for $999.00.
    There are decent brass and good woodwinds on AO however.
    Unfortunately, if you want good orchestral sounds you have to buy the seperate libraries for acheiving the best results.
    1. Gigastrings.
    2. Quantum Leap Brass or Dan Dean Solo Brass
    3. Dan Dean Woodwinds, AO woodwinds, or Miroslav woodwinds
    4. Ultimate Orchestral Percussion
    5. Malmsjo Acoustic Grand Piano
    It\'s a whooooole lot of dough, but these are the best libraries available at the moment for orchestral stuff.
    AO is a good all-in-one orchestral package but after a while you will not be satisfied with the strings.
    Just my 2 cents. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortuantely, your advice would push me into the stratosphere in terms of cost. I was only planning to spend ~$1000 initally.

I may have to go with AO plus Malmsjo Piano for now and get the Gigastrings later once my Gigsstudio skills (and orchestration skills) mature.

Any other ideas ?

Dan

[This message has been edited by far_star (edited 08-30-2001).]

Hi, Dan. I\'m also a new Giga owner and am working on building my library. If I were you and I had $1000 now, what I would do is get the Gigastrings with that and then hold out for seeing what the demos and reactions are for the Orch samples that Donnie is working on. (See the thread \"Great all round orch. lib for great price,\" last post 8-23).

Personally I\'m a little irritated at the Gigastrings supposed \"post release price\" of $1400 - way out of my league for any library, so the only way I\'ll be able to afford it is if it\'s delayed until I get my Christmas bonus (but I\'d hate to wish that on those who are already waiting for their copies ;-) Anyway, you are in a much better position right now to \"have it all,\" if you time your purchases correctly.

Brad

if you want good orchestral sounds you have to buy the seperate libraries for acheiving the best results.
    1. Gigastrings.

I found that Ulitmate Strings, a very nice set, blends well with AO Strings.

Look into Ulitmate Strings. I think they sound wonderful and the price is right.

My 2 cents

------------------
    Francis Belardino
    Sound Designer
    Audio Visions, LTD.
    Wilmington, DE.
    www.audiovisionsonline.com

I would go with AO Complete Giga Format.

Build on it after YOU find weakness.

At the very least, you can compose for the full orchestra the second you have AO. If you buy Gigastrings...all you have is strings. (The best strings on the market, but still)

Go AO and add to it. I find it hard to believe that AO would be a waste...even after you replace the brass with QLB (for example)

Thanks all.

------------------
    Francis Belardino
    Sound Designer
    Audio Visions, LTD.
    Wilmington, DE.

But if Donnie is going to have a better full orchestra library in two months or so at a third of the AO price, then Dan could have a full orchestra library AND Gigastrings and only have to pay a couple hundred more for it all. Of course, it remains to be seen if Donnie\'s library is indeed going to kick AO\'s butt, but I think it\'s worth waiting a bit to find out.

Brad

I heard the demo of this new to be full orchestra collection... I feel that the AO demo is much more advanced.

Don\'t get me wrong. DSSoundware are top notch. I own UOP and I loved it from day one.

I just purchased AO complete giga. It really has alot to offer now that it has been revamped for Giga.

Again, all this is just my thoughts. No need to flame

PS. Whatever Donnie puts his hands on...I\'ll buy anyway and add to my collection.

You guys can hear a quick demo of the Prosonus stuff here...
    http://www.dssoundware.com/Prosonus.mp3

As I said before this older material but I trully believe it will be much better than AO when we\'re finished.

Donnie

keep up the great, Donnie.

PS. Thanks again for the Rev Snare.

------------------
    Francis Belardino
    Sound Designer
    Audio Visions, LTD.
    Wilmington, DE.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast