• Register
  • Help

Topic: samples with verb

Share/Bookmark

samples with verb

In a reply to a sound designer Thomas j. Wrote :Btw how do you guys like your fruit? Dry or juicy? I guess I\'d have to say dry, so I can add juice-extract afterwards. Of course we need to have that option when we buy bread too. Dry and mold or hot, fresh and soft? Again I\'d go with the dry one. I like to have the option of eating dry, stale bread.

Poor analogy! Sound in the real world is totally dry until it is affected by the environment. No matter what your method is you are adding \"Juice\" after the fact. Show me a trumpet that blows a reverbed sound out of it\'s bell and you may have a point. Play your dry trumpet sample in a hall and the effect is the same as when you play the real trumpet in the same hall (reverb wise).

Also, when playing a sound that was sampled with reverb, what happens when you stop playing? The reverb stops! That\'s less real than dry oranges any day! Don\'t tell me to adjust the release cause thats a totally different sound.

Hearing the same exact sample over and over is bad enough, let alone with the same exact reverb on it each time. A real hall or a good reverb unit will vary the quality of the reverb, thus giving the sound more life and character than the stagnant verbed samples.

Last point. If you intend on having your music played on TV or radio, be prepared for the reverb flood you will get because of the compression effect (yuck) wet city! If the \"wetness\" is un removable from your sounds, heads are gonna roll.

btw, dry fruit rocks!

Don\'t take this personally Thomas, I think you are right on with most all of your ideas and it\'s good to see that people are as hardcore as you!

Re: samples with verb

You have a point. How much that point holds in the real world has yet to be proven I guess. I think you shouldnt record a signal so wet that you cant add at least some verb to it afterwards, to smooth out the cut reverb problem.

the use of an additional reverb to cover up the note off\'s is a logical idea but it will smear the image of the original reverb and you usually end up with an inferior reverb with less detail. This is just a super tough problem and I hope we can come up with a solution.

Maybe a separate sample triggered by the note off\'s that has the natural reverb decay?

the use of an additional reverb to cover up the note off\'s is a logical idea but it will smear the image of the original reverb and you usually end up with an inferior reverb with less detail. This is just a super tough problem and I hope we can come up with a solution.

Maybe a separate sample triggered by the note off\'s that has the natural reverb decay?

Thank you Oliver. I only intended it to be a humurous addition You make some very good points, and ultimately my goal is to create samples that does not have a large hall trail. I\'m going to do some experimenting in the near future, perhaps using two different recording techniques. I suppose I could then upload examples of the different techniques and users on this forum could decide on which one they like best. If it\'s not the one I prefer, I probably won\'t bother selling the samples in the end

Again thank you for your insight,

Thomas

This may or may not be relevant but I find the Peter Ewers Synphonic Organ with it\'s six seconds of reverb on the release to be very successful. While brass doesn\'t need to be that wet, I believe having a short reverb tail triggered on note release will allow you to get and maintain a consistent ambience.

I find adding reverb to sounds that have ambience in the body of the sound but no reverb tail on release less than optimal. It sounds like crap because the note itself will be overly wet, but the release will be far less so and the quality won\'t match the original.

Steve

Go Back to forum