• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: last important question before making the GS plunge !

Share/Bookmark

last important question before making the GS plunge !

Okay, I made my mind and I’m \"one-music-retailer away\" from joining the GS users band !
    But I have a last important question (have been waiting 2 days for Nemesys answer to that, am still waiting….), and let me introduce it in 2 points :
    1) GS 96 fits my budget far better (the whole Giga setup will make me nearly broke for some weeks at best).
    2) GS 96 seems to fully meet my polyphony needs, since, to be quite frank, I’m not musically able to manage more than a few instruments and voicings at once… And about FX section, I’ll have a multiple outputs card, and two good external FX processors on my 03D, so the NFX extras are not necessary.
    -------
    SO GS 96 SEEMS to be the right answer for me, BUT for one thing MAYBE….
    and here‘s why I GREATLY need advice :
    I saw that GS96 has a 2 « multi-level » capacity, vs 4 for GS 160.
    I believe (from what I understood) it’s the number of layers available in a program, am I right ? So I’d really appreciate people to tell me if the « only 2 » of GS 96 is a severe limitation in real life, when wanting to play sophisticated instruments (such as the Scarbee’s basses, or Seyers bass, or Gigapiano, or whatever…) or NOT.
    Besides, I own many Akai samples (like Quantum Guitars, for instance), which sometimes use 3, 4 or 5 layers to velocity-switch betweeen sounds…. Is it easy to convert them in order to use the « dimensions » rather than these « layers », in order to play them as they were intended (I mean not via velocity anymore, but at least via keystrokes or controller action? ?
    Thanks for helping me find my sleep again ! !
    Gilles

Re: last important question before making the GS plunge !

Hey Giles

I think by 2 Vs 4 \'multi levels\' you\'re probably referring to the fact that G96 can respond on two midi ports (32 channels) as opposed to the 160\'s 4 midi ports (64 channels).

Each channel would normally represent an instrument, and from what you say, you\'re immediate needs probably won\'t take you past 16 channels, let alone up to 64.

I\'m pretty sure the 160 layering is identical to the 96.

GigaSampler and GigaStudio instruments can have up to 32 Dimensions pr. key.

Example from Scarbee J-Slap/Fingered
    (Studio bass):
    Pr.key: 4 velocities and 8 dimensions controlled by key-triggers (4 x 8 = 32)

or

(Jam bass)pr.key: 4 velocities, release-trigger, 4 dimensions controlled by mod-wheel. (4 x 2 x 4 = 32)

It could also be 8 velocities and 4 dimensions, etc.

hope it helps

Scarbee

------------------
    Visit www.scarbee.com and check out the demoes from The Scarbee Bass Libraries

SO, just to make it CLEAR once and for all (excuse my « sillyness », but as a « will-be-a-user », I know GS just from the outside -by the forum’s feedback and the specs I read on Nemesys’ site-) :
    ----
    It’s really sure that in no way the choice of GS96 will prevent me from using « big » programs like Scarbee’s or Seyers’ basses ? The ONLY difference is in the number of available midi channels, in the FX section and in the polyphony, right ? ?
    Well, 96 voices, NFX1 and 32 midi channels will make make me perfectly glad as long as I can play any kind of program with that ! (I do prefer less voices at my disposal, and have some money left to start my sound bank very soon so I can feed the 96 ones!)

If you search the net (or call soundchaser and speak to Paul) you\'ll find that using \'creative\' upgrades, you can get the 160 for less than $300. If you\'re forking out for a whole new system I\'d say don\'t skimp on the \'jewel\'. Even if 96 is enough right now, you never know what you might need down the road. Other places are Jacksmusic, audiomidi etc.; they all have different prices for different \'parts\' that can be upgraded.

What do you mean by creative upgrades? I\'m still on my research phase before I plunk down the cash for GS/samples...So I am looking for the best deal if possible, do you by chance mean LE -> GS160?

Thanks,

It’s really sure that in no way the choice of GS96 will prevent me from using « big » programs like Scarbee’s or Seyers’ basses?

No problem - you can even use GigaSampler if you want. But get some RAM (512 is cool)! I just bought 512 MB for about $100.00. Last year it was $1000.00...

Scarbee

\"so I can feed the 96 ones!)\"

Go with GS 160 if possible. Keep in mind alot of samples use more than 1 voice at a time. I have several patches (guitar for instance) that use 4 voice per note. So, if you play a 4 note chord, there goes 16 voices already. I routinely use over 96 voices at a time, just by using a few guitar patches, bass, and drums. I have learned a long time ago, it\'s better to grow INTO something then grow OUT of it.

I should also add (while we\'re on the subject of keeping the price down) that Time & Space in the UK (timespace.com - I think) has prices on libraries that blow away anything else I\'ve seen here in the states (and I mean really blow away - and we don\'t have to pay that crazy VAT - AND their shipping costs seem miniscule compared to some others).

I haven\'t used them yet so I can\'t vouch for them but they\'re often referred to in SoS articles so they\'re probably kosher. But watch out! Sterling is going up against the dollar so these prices are creeping up (I\'m trying to hold out as long as I can before I take the plunge - I\'d hate to blow my budget then see a spate of new and improved libraries hit the market - also, I can\'t bloody decide, there are so many fantastic libraries out there).

Oh, yes, Augusttech (I\'m not sure if it\'s really got two \'t\'s in it) is where I got 512MB RAM for $40 (they do stick it to you in the shipping costs though).

By \'creative upgrades\' I mean trawling the web for endless hours, noting down all of the prices of Lite, 64, 96, and 160, then working out which way is the least expensive. To make your life easier (maybe) I did this then found that Sounchaser managed to beat the price of any combination I came up with (but you could also try Bay View Audio and the places I mentioned earlier).

I\'d also say that remember that those \'voices\' get eaten up pretty quickly. Even if you paid full price it would probably be worth toning down the spec on your computer (but be careful where) to get the 160.

I found RAM (specific to my motherboard though) for $40 for 512MB. An IBM 40GB (fast) drive for less than $110. I\'m just pointing out that if you research until your eyes are out of a Tom and Jerry cartoon you can find some great deals (a 1.2GH Athlon is less than $100) so there\'s no need to miss a good spec.

Go Back to forum