• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: EMAIL VIRUS ALERT

Share/Bookmark

EMAIL VIRUS ALERT

Just thought I would let everyone know that there is a email virus going around and it \"seems\" to have originated from someone on this forum (or at least someone who lurks this forum).

Kip at Bardstown audio has gotten it and so have I. Both emails were addressed to us and even call us by name in the message.

Unfortunately Kip opened his and it has sent out several emails since. If you get one delete it immediately! Please don\'t be mad at Kip! He did NOT know this was a virus.

We are trying to find out who this is coming from and are working to get this taken care of. Right now we do know that it is coming from the Netherlands.

Donnie

Re: EMAIL VIRUS ALERT

I got the virus sent (and deleted it promptly) from Bardstown as well - the sixth or so in the last 2 weeks!

What I found weird is that the attached file and subject seemingly even had to do with sampling - \"Rhytmn and Strumming Sequences\". I guess it grabbed a random file from the HD and took the filename.
    What I find weird as well though is that Bardstown has my email adress - I\'ve never emailed them.

These new email viruses can look through your email address book and start spamming anyone in there without your knowledge. They even are able to write short messages including the victims name to make it look like an authentic message.

Donnie, is is very likely that whoever sent you the virus did it without knowing about it, so tracking them down may be a waste of time. The fact that you both got the mail from the same person just means that the person had you both in his address book when the virus infected his machine.

[This message has been edited by Jamieh (edited 08-29-2001).]

Jamieh,

Actually yes, you are quite correct. I just assumed because of the \"personal\" nature of the emails that it was coming from here but its not. You are also correct that these new viruses can go through your old email and put things that people might think wasn\'t bad in there either.

Bottom line though is do NOT open these emails!!!

Donnie

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by donnie:
    Just thought I would let everyone know that there is a email virus going around and it \"seems\" to have originated from someone on this forum (or at least someone who lurks this forum).

Kip at Bardstown audio has gotten it and so have I. Both emails were addressed to us and even call us by name in the message.

Unfortunately Kip opened his and it has sent out several emails since. If you get one delete it immediately! Please don\'t be mad at Kip! He did NOT know this was a virus.

We are trying to find out who this is coming from and are working to get this taken care of. Right now we do know that it is coming from the Netherlands.

Donnie
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would like to assure everybody that coming onto my web site at www.bardstownaudio.com is perfectly safe and is NOT infected with any sort of virus. Our web site is with an internet server, and is not in anyway connected with my personal internet computer.

I have sent this posting from a different computer that I have temporarily set up for internet during this situation, which is not at all infected.

At the time of this posting, there is now a new hard drive on my internet computer, which I use exclusively for internet only. The infected hard drive has been discarded, and I am installing a new operating system and internet on a brand new hard drive.

Fortunately, I have five Macintosh and PC computers in the studio, which I use for various audio applications. Therefore this TEMPORARY AND ISOLATED virus situation, which WAS ONLY on my personal internet computer, has been completely eliminated.

Thanks,

Kip
    Bardstown Audio www.bardstownaudio.com

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Marc Floessel:
    I got the virus sent (and deleted it promptly) from Bardstown as well - the sixth or so in the last 2 weeks!

What I found weird is that the attached file and subject seemingly even had to do with sampling - \"Rhytmn and Strumming Sequences\". I guess it grabbed a random file from the HD and took the filename.
    What I find weird as well though is that Bardstown has my email adress - I\'ve never emailed them.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Marc,

I have never had your email address on my system. The only email addresses I have are from people who have sent me emails.

I am sorry for all of the trouble this is causing, even though I am not responsible for any of this.

Kip
    Bardstown Audio

i got this virus .
    thanx for alert us.
    for me was in right time
    really really thanx!!!!.

You are being hit by the \"Sircam Email Worm\"

What is Sircam?

NAME: Sircam
    ALIAS: I-Worm.Sircam, W32.Sircam, W32/SircCam

INFORMATION ON THE SIRCAM WORM

Sircam is a mass mailing e-mail worm with the ability of spreading through Windows Network shares. The worm\'s body is 137216
    bytes long but when it comes as an e-mail attachment, it\'s larger in size due to a document that is attached to its body.

Sircam sends e-mails with variable user names and subject fields, and attaches user documents with double extensions (such as
    .doc. .pif or .xls .lnk) to them. When a Sircam-infected e-mail attachment is opened it shows the document it picked up from the
    sender machine\'s.

The worm uses Windows Address Book to collect e-mail addresses (\'*.wab files). The worm also tries to look for e-mail addresses
    in \\Temporary Internet Files\\ folder (\'sho*\', \'get*\', \'hot*\', \'*.html\').

The worm collects a list of files with certain extensions (\'.DOC\', \'.XLS\', \'.ZIP\') into fake DLL files named \'sc*.dll\'. The worm
    then sends itself out with one of the document files it found in a users\'s \'My Documents\' folder.

Make sure your virus/worm checkers are set up to scan your incoming email for this worm, and it also wouldn\'t hurt to contact your ISP and make sure they are aware of the virus since they should be able to filter it before it gets to your inbox.

[This message has been edited by Munsie (edited 08-30-2001).]

My internet computer is NOW TOTALLY VIRUS FREE!!! I reinstalled a new system hard drive and reinstalled the operating system and my internet connection on my totally dedicated internet computer. I have also installed and downloaded all of the latest Norton Anti Virus software, which is now constantly running at all times and will be constantly updated for protection against new viruses. I have also installed Norton FireWall Protection, which is also constantly running from now on.

I have also completely tested all of my internet and Email systems. I am 100% assured that my internet and Email are completely virus free. Therefore, it is completely 100% safe to open any email from Bardstown Audio, which is sent after 11:00 P.M., United States Eastern Standard Time (11:00 P.M. New York City Time), on August 29, 2001.

Thank you,

Kip
    Bardstown Audio www.bardstownaudio.com

[This message has been edited by Bardstown Audio (edited 08-30-2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Munsie:
    You are being hit by the \"Sircam Email Worm\"

What is Sircam?

NAME: Sircam
    ALIAS: I-Worm.Sircam, W32.Sircam, W32/SircCam

INFORMATION ON THE SIRCAM WORM

Sircam is a mass mailing e-mail worm with the ability of spreading through Windows Network shares. The worm\'s body is 137216
    bytes long but when it comes as an e-mail attachment, it\'s larger in size due to a document that is attached to its body.

Sircam sends e-mails with variable user names and subject fields, and attaches user documents with double extensions (such as
    .doc. .pif or .xls .lnk) to them. When a Sircam-infected e-mail attachment is opened it shows the document it picked up from the
    sender machine\'s.

The worm uses Windows Address Book to collect e-mail addresses (\'*.wab files). The worm also tries to look for e-mail addresses
    in \\Temporary Internet Files\\ folder (\'sho*\', \'get*\', \'hot*\', \'*.html\').

The worm collects a list of files with certain extensions (\'.DOC\', \'.XLS\', \'.ZIP\') into fake DLL files named \'sc*.dll\'. The worm
    then sends itself out with one of the document files it found in a users\'s \'My Documents\' folder.

Make sure your virus/worm checkers are set up to scan your incoming email for this worm, and it also wouldn\'t hurt to contact your ISP and make sure they are aware of the virus since they should be able to filter it before it gets to your inbox.

[This message has been edited by Munsie (edited 08-30-2001).]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the detailed information.

Go Back to forum