• Register
  • Help

Topic: About Garritan Community Christmas Album

Share/Bookmark

About Garritan Community Christmas Album

Hello. I have just heard the new Christmas album that has been released. I know the songs included were composed by fellow composers in the Garritan community, that were subsequently submitted. I'd like to know in what place it is correct to do that, i.e. what do I need to do in order to have an own composition appearing in the Christmas Album of 2010.

I will really appreciate your response. Thank you.

P.D.: I would also like to know what are the requirements I must fulfill, i.e., does the piece have to be an arrangement, only an orchestration, or an original piece, newly written. Thanks.

Re: About Garritan Community Christmas Album

Hello Wolf2272,

I see this is your first post so welcome to our forums.

Our Christmas CD is masterminded by our incredible DP Dan who will start a thread for new submissions.

During the threads for our present Christmas CD I summarised the requirements for consideration for the Garritan Community Christmas CD which are as follows:

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk View Post

Just for clarity and out of interest, I have just spent some time looking through past years' threads to summarise the conditions for being involved with the Garritan Christmas CD. This is what I have found so far:

Dan, I hope you don't mind me summarising these.

(1) The song must be clearly related to Christmas; a Christmas carol, song or theme.
    (2) The song must be in the Public Domain or an original work meeting the above criteria.
    (3) The recording to use Garritan libraries only. Live vocals and live instrumental tracks with Garritan libraries have been accepted on previous Christmas CDs.
    (4) Only one song per person to be offered/submitted.
    (5) The track duration to be of no more than 4 minutes maximum.
    (6) The song offered to be listed when the new list is opened. Once offered and listed, it's generally accepted that this song is 'taken' and is not duplicated.
    (7) The final recording to be handed in by the set deadlines.

I think that's it, at least it's what I managed to find. If there are any omissions or errors please let me know and I'll edit it straight away.
    I would also suggest that you read the full threads for our present Christmas CD so you have a better idea of how it goes. you can see the full thread in the following link:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=63584
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Quote Originally Posted by wolf2272 View Post
    ...I know the songs included were composed by fellow composers in the Garritan community...
    Hi, Wolf - I want to also welcome you to the Garritan Forum.

Glad you found the Christmas CD, the 6th edition!

The emphasis on this annual collection is on Garritan users producing Christmas music strictly through the use of Garritan instruments. I was going to say that only original arrangements are used, but that's not completely true. Most of the songs on the 6 albums are original arrangements, but using existing arrangements is also acceptable.

You're still right that a few of the songs are also original compositions, but those pieces are in the minority. Since it's a Christmas holiday album, the main hope is that it will be full of music listeners already know, so the music can give off that warm glow of familiarity which goes hand-in-hand with the mood of the season.

So, the CDs are mostly original arrangements of traditional Christmas songs, realized through the use of Garritan instruments. Only a few are composed. Since you used the word "composed," I wanted to make sure you understood that original compositions really aren't the main thing being asked for.

Randy B.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    You're still right that a few of the songs are also original compositions, but those pieces are in the minority. Since it's a Christmas holiday album, the main hope is that it will be full of music listeners already know, so the music can give off that warm glow of familiarity which goes hand-in-hand with the mood of the season.

So, the CDs are mostly original arrangements of traditional Christmas songs, realized through the use of Garritan instruments. Only a few are composed. Since you used the word "composed," I wanted to make sure you understood that original compositions really aren't the main thing being asked for.

Randy B.
    Hello Randy,

Thanks for pointing that out .. I missed that.

Another point I would like to add to my list is that submitting a song is no guarantee that it will make it to the finished CD; there is no automatic acceptance.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk View Post
    submitting a song is no guarantee that it will make it to the finished CD; there is no automatic acceptance.
    Good point to make clear, Michael. We always start out with quite a long list, enough songs to fill 3 CDs. But then Real Life takes over, and people end up finding they don't have time to finish what they'd hoped to. So the list always gets narrowed down in that way.

When the smoke clears, there are still too many submissions to fit on one disc. So decisions are made about what group of songs would make the best album, and in what order etc.

Wolf, be on the look out for Dan's Christmas CD thread. People will immediately start grabbing carols to work on - Sign up as soon as you can, so you give yourself plenty of time and give yourself the best chance to get on next year's CD. It's great that you're interested in contributing!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    ...so the music can give off that warm glow of familiarity which goes hand-in-hand with the mood of the season.
    That may be the best put line I've read all day.

Thanks, Randy!

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Since it's a Christmas holiday album, the main hope is that it will be full of music listeners already know, so the music can give off that warm glow of familiarity which goes hand-in-hand with the mood of the season.

Randy B.

Most elegantly stated, I whole-heartedly agree!
    Dan

Go Back to forum