I dodged a bullet last week -- for no reason that I can determine, my GS3 machine decided that it wanted a brand new GS3 auth. Couldn't restore the old auth, etc...
Short-term workaround (to get my work done) was to use Kontakt.
AND luckily, there was a nice person at Tascam that emailed a new GS3 auth within 24 hours.
Looking forward, I know have to retire GS3 for good - and I am aware of some solutions for my 1.3 TB library of .gig files, including G-Player -- but none of the .gig playing substitutes can load a .gsp performance file.
In order to future-proof my work (restore an archived piece) - I MUST find a way to "look into" a .gsp file, and simply know what was inside. Notepad can look at the file, but it's quite a mess.
Does anyone have a better way to see into a .gsp and learn what files were in-use?
I do software development as a career to pay for my joy with music... and I developed some of my own tools for this purpose (none of which are sharable or packaged in a way that others could use). In the process I tried to get TASCAM and the GS devs to reveal the data structure behind the performance files. I had already reverse-engineered enough of it to prove to them I knew what I was doing (the main purpose was to create a tool that could open performances and renumber the instruments - something not possible in an efficient way in the provided tools).
Predictably they would have nothing to do with me - didn't even get a response - since I did not represent a marketing/revenue potential for them. Maybe I am being a little harsh...
In any case, I know you can figure out a great deal by industrious hacking but I don't hold out much hope for you finding any formal tools or support from TASCAM on the file format. Maybe the Garritan bunch will have a different approach.