• Register
  • Help

Topic: Clarinet glissando

Share/Bookmark

Clarinet glissando

Hello everyone,

I'd like to know how I can do glissando with a solo clarinet like those in the awesome demo "Rhapsody in Blue"?

Cheers,

Fred.
    There is no spoon.

Re: Clarinet glissando

Quote Originally Posted by boulifb View Post
    Hello everyone,

I'd like to know how I can do glissando with a solo clarinet like those in the awesome demo "Rhapsody in Blue"?

Cheers,

Fred.
    Ah - That's a good question, Fred. Our DPDAN produced that recording, and he presented a video tutorial in the General Discussion Forum several months ago showing exactly how he did that.

It wasn't accomplished with the tools you have available just in Aria and the GPO library. Dan uses Digital Performer, and it has an audio pitch bend tool. He took the passages where he needed the gliss, and cleverly drew in the bends. Other audio recording programs have features like that - you would have to be a user of a DAW like DP.

Randy B.

Thanks for the information.

Would it be possible to have a link to the video?

Also, does it shows how to get the "wah wah" effect for the trumpet?

Cheers,

Fred.
    There is no spoon.

You could buy the Westgate Bb Clarinet, which has various special FX, which might give the effect you are after. You can get just the Bb Clarinet from Big Fish Audio, which is cheaper than buying Digital Performer and an easier way to produce the effect that I think you're after. There are several sampled phrases (run ups) in which you can hear each note articulated. All you have to do is press a key till you find one that sounds right. There are also glissando patches which you play by pressing down two notes on your MIDI keyboard and lifting one of them (which causes the sound to glide between the two very smoothly).

Generally, Westgate instruments are much more detailed and better suited to exposed solos than the GPO & JABB instruments -- but they also take a lot of work to get them to sound good and realsitc. I think that such a common and relatively simple effect like the glissando is fairly easy to do, however. I also find the trills quite useful occassionally.

Allegro Data Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by boulifb View Post
    Thanks for the information.

Would it be possible to have a link to the video?

Also, does it shows how to get the "wah wah" effect for the trumpet?

Cheers,

Fred.
    Hello again, Fred - Here's my chance to point out that the Forum has a good Search engine for finding threads and posts on particular topics. Up there right in the middle of the menu on these Forum pages is Search - don't use the regular Search, but rather use the "advanced search" you'll see on that pop-up.

Using the Search, I found the thread by Dpdan where he posted his video tutorial on how he used pitch bend in DP to do the slide effect. This should open to page three of the "Rhapsody In Blue" thread, and his first post on that page has a link to the tute:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...dy+blue&page=3

The Wah Wah effect is done with the Plunger Mute which is in JABB. It's available on one trumpet and one trombone and is controlled by CC16. More information is in JABB's manual.

rbowser

Go Back to forum