• Register
  • Help

Topic: Auld Lang Syne

Share/Bookmark

Auld Lang Syne

Just thought this would be a good piece for today and tomorrow. Happy New Year everyone.

Auld Lang Syne
    (2008) arrangement
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Re: Auld Lang Syne

Happy New Year to you Rich!

I missed this last year, so glad to hear it now ... yes, very appropriate for a new decade.

The harp underpinning really gives this often long-in-the-tooth piece a fresh, un-traditional vibe. My favorite part is the cor (or is it an oboe in his lowest range? ... couldn't quite tell! ) and bassoon duet around 1:35; very nice.

Thanks for sharing and looking forward to more of your great music in 2010 .

Regards,

Frank

I always thought it would be fun to do a chorus or so of the classic Guy Lombardo version, trying to match that sweet, exaggerated vibrato in the sax section ... a very unique sound. Maybe with the Aria JABB? RIP Carmen Lombardo!

Re: Auld Lang Syne

Thanks for the comments Frank. I wanted to just post it for listening pleasure but comments are always welcome.

Yes, the melody is on English Horn. There was a lot of work to get the Englinsh horn to sound and feel right. The bassoon counterpoint was a little tricky to get at first but I think it turned out fine.

The harp gives it a bit of the Celtic feel I was going for in as much as this piece originated in Scotland and the words are by Robert Burns (or at least attributed to him).

Thanks again for the listen and Happy New Year to you as well!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Go Back to forum