• Register
  • Help

Topic: Vibrato instruments

Share/Bookmark

Vibrato instruments

I have my MIDI controller set up to control Vibrato Intensity (cc 131) and Speed (cc 17), but it only seems to work for the Solo instruments--not including the oboe. I can understand the flute not having adjustable vibrato because the solo sample is full of it already (which I wish I could adjust anyhow), but it seems very odd that the oboe does not have adjustable vibrato, especially considering each sample has none at all (or a small hint of it in certain registers).

I think my woodwind quintet realization needs oboe vibrato to sound correct. Otherwise the oboe sounds very immature and jarring. Any tips?

Re: Vibrato instruments

Hi, snazzypadgett

I used our Forum search engine to find this post from GPO developer Tom Hopkins. He lists all the instruments which have controllable vibrato via After Touch (or CC131) and CC17. As you've discovered, none of the solo oboes have this feature. Tom says on the thread I'm posting that the oboes don't have playable vibrato because the samples already have vibrato recorded with the note samples.

GPO Instruments with Controllable Vibrato

Randy B.

Thanks for the info, rbowser...but now I am faced with another problem.

It's hard to believe, but when I open Finale 2010 and play a piece I've written, the oboe sings beautifully with excellent vibrato. NONE of the GPO patches do this! None of them have any significant vibrato! So I looked up the source of the sample being used in finale and...it's "GM 69: Oboe" !!!

Does this mean that there is another set of instruments that came with Finale? I swear--this oboe sounds great! Not any worse than the GPO oboes! How do I use this one? It has vibrato...which I need!

Quote Originally Posted by snazzypadgett View Post

It's hard to believe, but when I open Finale 2010 and play a piece I've written, the oboe sings beautifully with excellent vibrato. NONE of the GPO patches do this! None of them have any significant vibrato! So I looked up the source of the sample being used in finale and...it's "GM 69: Oboe" !!!

Does this mean that there is another set of instruments that came with Finale? I swear--this oboe sounds great! Not any worse than the GPO oboes! How do I use this one? It has vibrato...which I need!
    Hello again - I would hazard to guess that the oboe you're hearing with that test is from your sound card's built in bank of GM (General MIDI) instruments.

Now you need to hear from a Finale user (I'm not one) who can explain if it's possible for you to set things up so this GM instrument is used for your oboe instead of the one in GPO. I'm sure you can pick and choose. In a sequencer, you always have a choice of sound source for each instrument.

Randy B.

Hi snazzypadgett:

I believe the one you're hearing is the one you get if you choose "SmartMusic SoftSynth" in the Instrument Setup Wizard and then choose WoodWinds/Oboe.

Don't know how much control you have over the vibrato for that instrument though.

-- Harvey

Yes, it seems that it was the oboe from my soundcard's MIDI...with a little reverb, the difference in realism between the GM oboe and no-vibrato is very obvious. I will stick with Garritan But I am pretty disappointed in the lack of vibrato in the oboe--it really isn't there...anyway. Thanks for helping me out!

Have you tried all of the oboes in GPO? Some of them vary in the amount of vibrato from almost none to pretty heavy. I believe Modern Oboe 3 has the most vibrato.

Jim

I only have four oboes (3 polyphony and 1 solo) and one englishh horn. Is this because I am using the package bundled with finale 2010?

I only have four oboes (3 polyphony and 1 solo) and one englishh horn. Is this because I am using the package bundled with finale 2010?
    Hello snazzypadgett,

The Garritan Instruments for Finale 2010 does indeed have 4 oboes. The GPO4 has 7 oboes plus an Oboe d'Amore and 5 English Horns.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Go Back to forum