• Register
  • Help

Topic: Auto-Legato and Sustain problems

Share/Bookmark

Auto-Legato and Sustain problems

I do not have a sustain pedal (I'm getting one soon) for my midi controller, but I have read the manual and see that cc 102 should turn 'auto-legato' on and off. It does not work at all for me when I assign it to a knob on my midi controller. Any ideas why? I'm using the Finale 2010 package version--does it not include it?

Also, I have cc 64 set to a knob on my controller (sustain), and though it does sustain the notes, the connectivity between notes is not there. It just reattacks with every consecutive note. Why isn't the legato feature working?

Thanks everyone What a fantastic forum!

Re: Auto-Legato and Sustain problems

UPDATE: I just bought a sustain pedal, plugged it in, and it's working just like the knob--it holds the note, but the legato is questionable.

Am I crazy or does it still sound detached when I hold the pedal and play a solo instrument? The only thing that connects it somewhat is if I use high velocity, which gives quick attacks. But I want LEGATO.

I'm using the "normal" version of GPO, but isn't the legato controller for the notation programs cc68? I can't find it with the forum search engine (that seems to ignore numbers), but google agrees.
    Theo

Just tried 68, and it's not working for me either. Thanks though.

EDIT: Wait! I checked using 68 again, and it actually does make a difference, I was just expecting something more pronounced. There is still a little void between notes, but it is smaller. I think I have now activated 'legato mode.'

However, auto-legato is still not on. Any idea what the Finale version CC# would be for that? Man, I'd like to get a list of the finale cc's, but all of the others have worked so far. I tried 106 for auto-legato, no avail

EDIT 2: Ohhh, I need to set my PEDAL to 68...because 64 is sustain, and 68 is legato. So I have to turn a knob to use legato. It SHOULD be where my pedal controls that, right? And auto-legato would clear the whole mess up, but I can't find it at all...

Snazzy-- I posted a reply earlier today to your thread in general discussion where you posted a piece of yours. I think what I'm seeing now in this Forum about your struggles with legato has at least been partially cleared up?

But I'm still writing because I want to let you know that the "old fashioned" legato in GPO works and sounds better than this "auto legato." Use your notation sustain/legato, cc68 and it will sound better than auto legato which, as you describe, doesn't seem to smooth out the attacks as well.

One problem, as I see it, with GPO4 is that the solo instruments which should be monophonic, and always were in previous versions, are now polyphonic. The only way to get them properly monophonic is by turning auto legato on--and then the problem comes in with the legato not being as smooth.

I'm sorry to say this is the main reason I still use Kontakt for my GPO projects. I tried editing the SFZ files, but it is laborious, hazardous, and it irritates me that we should have to re-do editing which shouldn't have been done to the new version in the first place.

Randy B.

Snaz, et. al.,

Auto Legato works ONLY if notes overlap. If you are using a notation program such as Finale, the notes do NOT automatically overlap. Do NOT use auto-legato with Finale for anything!!!

If you are using Finale, Snaz, you need to have a Human Playback style ON.

Assuming you have the full GPO 4, you must always use the NOTATION set of instruments--I assume you are not using these instruments.

It is a bit unclear from your post whether you are using the full GPO4 or the "Instruments for Finale" set--I assume the former, since the the latter does not include auto-legato.

Are you using speedy/simple entry, or hyperscribe? I assume speedy/simple for purposes of this post.

Legato in Finale is achieved by:
    1. Using NOTATION instruments in Full GPO or "Instruments for Finale"
    2. Having Human Playback ON
    3. Writing slurs over the desired notes

There is no need to create MIDI messages--that is the whole point of Human Playback in Finale.

Feel free to ask if you have any more questions!
    Snor
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

My question has finally been answered--thank you snorlax.

My question was: Since I am using the Finale version of Garritan (which IS a limited version, not GPO 4--"Instruments for Finale"), how do I turn auto legato on. But you have answered it for me--there is none! And that's okay, I simply overlap note values and twist a knob set to cc68 to accommodate for legato. Ideally i'd like to get my pedal set to work like this but...no such luck.

Anyway, my problems have been solved. For now!

Oh and FYI: My process is as follows:

-Write music onto manuscript
    -Punch it into Finale as if it were to be performed
    -Realize it with Garritan/my sequencer (Logic)
    The last step is the new one! I'm loving it.

Quote Originally Posted by snazzypadgett View Post
    My question has finally been answered--thank you snorlax.

My question was: Since I am using the Finale version of Garritan (which IS a limited version, not GPO 4--"Instruments for Finale"), how do I turn auto legato on. But you have answered it for me--there is none! And that's okay, I simply overlap note values and twist a knob set to cc68 to accommodate for legato. Ideally i'd like to get my pedal set to work like this but...no such luck.

Anyway, my problems have been solved. For now!

Oh and FYI: My process is as follows:

-Write music onto manuscript
    -Punch it into Finale as if it were to be performed
    -Realize it with Garritan/my sequencer (Logic)
    The last step is the new one! I'm loving it.
    Hi, Snazzy

If you're continuing to "twist a knob set to cc68" for legato, just be sure that before the first note of a legato passage, cc68 is set to full Zero value. Then, During the first note, cc68 goes to Full on, a value of 127. After the last note, then set again to zero.

You need to do that because the legato feature truncates the attack of an instrument. You want the first note's full attack, then all the rest of the notes in that passage you want with their attack note-on-value to be softened. If you have cc68 on before the passage starts, you'll get a truncated start and it won't sound as realistic.

But now that you're using Logic, I would recommend you work your legato in that program. In the MIDI editor you can get precise placement of the on and off values.

Randy

Go Back to forum