• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: OT: Did Hans Zimmer copy John Williams?

Share/Bookmark

OT: Did Hans Zimmer copy John Williams?

I might be frightfully mistaken but I saw the new Sherlock Holmes film today and noticed that the music at a dramatic point of the film sounded extremely similar to one of the tracks from Schindler's List. I told the people I went with about it and made them listen to each track and I asked them what they thought and they said it was 'exactly' the same track and he must have asked permission. I didn't see any reference to John Williams and it is clearly not exactly the same but very similar. Please see for yourselves.

Schindler's List Soundtrack-08 Auschwitz-Birkenau - John Williams - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GOy6t6TGAg

08 Not In Blood, But In Bond - Hans Zimmer - Sherlock Holmes Score - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRCTBUFx02M

What do you guys think? Is someone going to get sued? : )

Re: OT: Did Hans Zimmer copy John Williams?

Yeah, it very (very) similar. Don't know if they wanted this but, like you write, it's close to be the same.
    Mathieu Laprise
    www.studiosonomax.com

Is the melody similar? I quickly listened to both, not sure if I noticed any plagiarism in the melody, but the style doesn't belong to Williams or Zimmer, it's traditional, just more obscure to us. By I prefer Williams version and sound.

"the style doesn't belong to Williams or Zimmer, it's traditional,"

Agreed. They are not the same, but similiar. What can happen is this:

Composer #1 hires a musician to play an ethnic/uncommon instrument, and doesn't write a melody/theme, but instructs the musician to play a typical "traditional melody" in a specific key.

Composer #2 hires a musician to play an ethnic/uncommon instrument, and doesn't write a melody/theme, but instructs the musician to play a typical "traditional melody" in a specific key.

And out of coincidence, you wind up with two melodies that are very similiar.

Cheers.

More likely the track was temped with a piece of William's score and Zimmer had to try to emulate it. Very common and very frustrating.

TH
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." --Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Hayat View Post
    "the style doesn't belong to Williams or Zimmer, it's traditional,"

Agreed. They are not the same, but similiar. What can happen is this:

Composer #1 hires a musician to play an ethnic/uncommon instrument, and doesn't write a melody/theme, but instructs the musician to play a typical "traditional melody" in a specific key.

Composer #2 hires a musician to play an ethnic/uncommon instrument, and doesn't write a melody/theme, but instructs the musician to play a typical "traditional melody" in a specific key.

And out of coincidence, you wind up with two melodies that are very similiar.

Cheers.
    The other possibility, which I think is the most plausible, Williams, the skillful composer he is, probably wrote exactly what he wanted after hearing hours of improvisation of that style. This is the true artist.

Zimmer, must of just said to the ethnic musician, improvise something like that and I'll do something with that. This is the business Zimmer.

Williams actually used the octatonic scale for this cue. I highly doubt Zimmer would even know what it is and what European composer first used it....

Quote Originally Posted by davecos View Post
    I highly doubt Zimmer would even know what it is and what European composer first used it....
    Please.

-

Quote Originally Posted by guyB View Post
    Zimmer, must of just said to the ethnic musician, improvise something like that and I'll do something with that.
    Didn't think of that - very possible.

I must say sometimes there is even not form soundtrack music at all. End titles (music where credits come) in Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Crystal Skull.
    Actually i dont remember which Finnish tune (older) is almost/fully same. and this is not only thing what i know. And people what is spotted this is not here and i can ask if i can remember. Saddly i think i cannot made link for older tune or evem never. Makes me angry when similarity is so huge is must not be fortune.

(i dont know is correct word this fortune).
    ps. message looks this becouse i have problems which these tools what makes possible copy text. (i copied movie name) and tired copy some words what are similar meaning what fortune have. why? i dont know which is correct word in this place i used translator which have many choices.
    ps. and one finnish tv series used one Vangelis tune i think (form Heaven and Hell) and dont even menium in end titles some people is mentioned but not composer.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast