• Register
  • Help

Topic: Shabitt

Share/Bookmark

Shabitt

Well, this is the first completed movement of a new piano suite. As movements are completed, they will be added here. The order of completion will not be the order in the suite. The mp3 is GPO Steinway. The piece is quite short, about a minute and a half, I think.

Shabitt

Richard

Re: Shabitt

Interesting. I won't say it's the prettiest piece of music I've ever heard, but it seems to drive itself forward, not unlike Baroque pieces, and I like that. It sounds a bit demonic, frantic, as a ritual dance. And since it's part of a suite, that shouldn't come as a surprise. It also sounds as if it requires an accomplished player. It makes me curious about the other parts.

By the way, does the title "Shabitt" have a meaning?
    Theo

Quote Originally Posted by FLWrd View Post
    Interesting. I won't say it's the prettiest piece of music I've ever heard, but it seems to drive itself forward, not unlike Baroque pieces, and I like that. It sounds a bit demonic, frantic, as a ritual dance. And since it's part of a suite, that shouldn't come as a surprise. It also sounds as if it requires an accomplished player. It makes me curious about the other parts.

By the way, does the title "Shabitt" have a meaning?
    Agreed, not pretty music, not intended to be. Driving, yes, so intended. A bit demonic, also intended. Frantic, as a ritual dance, the main purpose of it! Requires an accomplished player? Probably so because of it's unrelenting intensity. I am also curious about the other parts, as they are still in their infancy, and difficult to work out.

The name has absolutely no meaning except to make it obvious that you won't be listening to a Bach fugue or something conventional. It is a figment of my imagination. After reading your comments, I looked it up on the net, and found about 2500 listings, totally unrelated!

Thank you for your very perceptive comments. You have seen right through me, which is pleasing because it tells me I have achieved my purpose.

Richard

Hi Richard,
    Definitely a driving piece. The abrupt stop prior to volume shift helps to relieve the ear. A good use of piano language.
    The theme(s) are hard to hear on a one time basis. Perhaps an occasional reference to previous themes could aid the ear in following the piece.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by garymosse View Post
    Hi Richard,
    Definitely a driving piece. The abrupt stop prior to volume shift helps to relieve the ear. A good use of piano language.
    The theme(s) are hard to hear on a one time basis. Perhaps an occasional reference to previous themes could aid the ear in following the piece.

Gary
    Definitely a driving piece! It certainly is more energetic than I am. I have done more work on it, altered the balance for better clarity, made a few changes, and added a significant amount of new material. I like it better, but I will not make the new version available for a few days while I mull over it and see if I still like it.

Richard

Go Back to forum