• Register
  • Help

Topic: Another attempt

Share/Bookmark

Another attempt

http://soundcloud.com/willpadgett/hidden-passage

"Hidden Passage"

Here's another piece where I got the legato feature to work. Now my major gripe is the horn. I love the warm sound, but I need it to get dirty too! I guess I'll look for another library for that.

Re: Another attempt

Hi, Snazzy - I enjoyed hearing your new piece. There several unpredictable and especially rich transitions throughout.

The horn-I can't remember off hand if you're using GPO4, or the previous Kontakt Player version--I think the latter. In the new GPO4, there are brass instruments from SAM Brass, and you wouldn't need to find brassier "dirty" instruments. Those alone are worth the upgrade if you don't have GPO4.

But there's still a lot more you can do with the original GPO horn. Here's the main trick:

--You need to use the Horn "overlay f ag" instrument LAYERED with the horn itself. There are actually several overlay horns which all do the same thing, slightly different tones.

--In a sequencer, after you have your horn line composed, you copy it and paste it into a new MIDI track which is triggering the overlay horn. ERASE all cc1 volume data. You don't want it playing as loud as the horn non-stop. It's for bringing in at those moments where you need the brass ringing sound, the loud vibrating sound you want. Play this instrument, swooping up your mod wheel to add cc1 sparingly throughout the piece. I guarantee it will make your horn 100% more exciting.

If you don't use a keyboard, draw the data in.

If you're using notation--well--there has to be a way to do the above, or something like it.

Randy

Thanks Randy! Glad to hear from you, and that you like the piece!

The overlay idea makes perfect sense to me, though I'd never heard of it. I am still confused by the version I am using, all I am sure of is that it is not the full GPO4, as it only contains about 4 of each woodwind and brass instrument (3 polyphonics, 1 solo). I may need to upgrade to get these 'overlays' you are talking about. I would love to make the horn brassier with a simple overlay concept. I'll look into it.

Another quick question--is there a way to make a clarinet do a fairly distant 'swoop' up to the note? Similar to the Rhapsody in Blue concept. I have three clarinet notes in this piece in the beginning that I am trying to put this effect on. The simple pitch bend does not work correctly, as the increments of pitch bending are too noticeable (though it is very subtle, it isn't a real portamento). The portamento tool I have is basically useless since I cannot turn auto-legato on as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by snazzypadgett View Post
    I am still confused by the version I am using, all I am sure of is that it is not the full GPO4, as it only contains about 4 of each woodwind and brass instrument (3 polyphonics, 1 solo). I may need to upgrade to get these 'overlays' you are talking about.
    In your previous thread you mentioned that you are using Finale 2010. The Garritan instruments bundled with this is the 'Garritan Instruments for Finale 2010' and this title shows in the 'Document Setup wizard'. If you do go ahead and upgrade to GPO4 then this will show in Finale's 'Document Setup wizard' as 'Garritan Personal Orchestra 4'. You would still have the Finale set too as installing the full GPO4 does not remove the Finale set; you would have both.

You can also identify the version you are using by going to your Garritan folder at: C:\Program Files\Garritan. In this folder you should see: 'Instruments for Finale'. If you install the full GPO4 then you would also have 'Personal Orchestra 4' in the 'Garritan' folder.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Hi, Michael - Thanks for helping Snazzy out with version identification.

Snazzy, the GPO set you're using is limited and doesn't have the horn overlay sounds I was talking about. I thought maybe you had the full GPO4.

Highly recommend that you upgrade. You'll get those overlays for horn, trumpet and trombone, plus some very big, brassy instruments from SAM brass, and a very long list of other instruments you don't currently have.

Randy

Go Back to forum