• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: GPO4/ARIA and number of instruments available

Share/Bookmark

GPO4/ARIA and number of instruments available

Hi Everyone,

I have started to use GPO4/ARIA with a notation program (Harmony Assistant) and I am pretty happy with what I can do.
    However, I have two basic questions/problems, and hope you can help me (I believe they have to do with GPO4/ARIA, and not the notation program):

1) When I move around notes in the notation program, sometimes a note get "stuck", and won't stop playing. I then have to go to ARIA and click the "stuck" note on the virtual keyboard to have it stop playing. Any idea why it's doing that?

2) I seem to remember (but I may be wrong) that earlier versions of ARIA (Kontakt, I believe) offered 8 sections, with 8 instruments each, for a total of 64 possible instruments. In ARIA, I only see the possibility to load 16 instruments, which is limited when you want to play with a full orchestra. Any possibility to have more? Is it my understanding of how ARIA works which should be improved?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Y

Re: GPO4/ARIA and number of instruments available

Hello, Ipsilon

I'm glad you're having a good time using GPO.

A long-time Forum member named Yudit started out using Harmony Assistant. If you use the advanced search tool at the top of the Forum pages, you could find her and possibly get some specific information about using HA. I do remember that she had a number of frustrations with the program and eventually changed to using a sequencer, Sonar I believe.

The only time I'll get the stuck note problem you describe is when I've clicked on a note which is currently coinciding with a sustain event, cc64. I just need to hit Play to get beyond the note. That may or may not relate to what's happening in HA.

What you're describing, a sample playback for GPO which has 8 sections and a total of 64 possible instruments sounds like the old GPO Studio which was designed for notation programs. That's long gone and not needed anymore.

You're right that you can load 16 instruments into Aria- and that was the same case in the Kontakt Player. But when you need more instruments, you just keep adding new instances of Aria, filling each up with the instruments you need.

Randy B.

Thank you Randy!

I am not sure I understand what "adding new instances of ARIA" means! Could you please explain? (I am not very familiar with the technicalities, so the more details you give, the better! )

Y

Quote Originally Posted by Ipsilon View Post
    Thank you Randy!

I am not sure I understand what "adding new instances of ARIA" means! Could you please explain? (I am not very familiar with the technicalities, so the more details you give, the better! )

Y
    Pardon me, I didn't mean to use unfamiliar jargon. "Instance" is a good basic one to learn though, because it's used frequently.

You have an Aria in your project - That's one instance of it. Once you've filled it up with instruments, you need another one. So you add another Instance of Aria, and start adding more instruments. Etc. Each instance has its own set of the 16 MIDI channels. So don't worry that you have one instrument on channel 1 in instance 1 of Aria, and a totally different instrument on channel 1 in instance 2 - Those are completely separate MIDI systems. The only limit to how many instances, or copies of Aria you can use is how much your computer can handle.

Randy B.

Thanks to both of you!!

Let me see if I got this straight.
    In Harmony Assistant, in the MIDI configuration panel, I see 12 possible MIDI outputs, like this:

(sorry, my version is in french!)

For each of those, I see 16 channels, like this:

Is this more or less what you have shown in Finale, Michael?

I still don't understand how to open more then one instance of ARIA though (sorry if I'm a bit slow...). Once I have 1 instance open, where's the button or link to open a second one??

Once again, many thanks for your help!

Y

P.S.: I just noticed that Michael's reply has disappeared...

Thanks to both of you!!

Is this more or less what you have shown in Finale, Michael?

Once again, many thanks for your help!

Y

P.S.: I just noticed that Michael's reply has disappeared...
    ROFL .. Sorry Ipsilon.

After posting my reply and screenshot of Finale I thought it might confuse rather than help so I deleted my post.

Anyway, here it is again.

My screenshot shows 4 instances of Aria. Although my screenshot is from within Finale 2010, it does show in a neat way how instances of Aria are linked to MIDI/Virtual channels.

Each instance of Aria can load 16 instruments. You can see that the first instance of Aria uses channels 1-16. The second instance of Aria adds a further 16 instruments and uses channels 17-32. The third instance of Aria adds a further 16 instruments and uses channels 33-48 and so on.

Therefore, the setup in my screenshot would enable 64 instruments altogether with room left to add another 64 instruments if I wanted.

I still don't understand how to open more then one instance of ARIA though (sorry if I'm a bit slow...). Once I have 1 instance open, where's the button or link to open a second one??
    I believe your first screenshot shows three instances of Aria, each instance will take 16 instruments giving you 48 instruments altogether. So ...

Sortie MIDI 1 = Instance 1 of Aria = 16 Instruments = Channels 1-16
    Sortie MIDI 2 = Instance 2 of Aria = 16 Instruments = Channels 17-32
    Sortie MIDI 3 = Instance 3 of Aria = 16 Instruments = Channels 33-48

Your second screenshot shows the 16 slots/channels available for each instance of Aria. You load one instrument or patch into each slot. When you have filled all 16 slots, open instance 2 which will then give you another empty 16 slots/channels to fill and so on.

To add more instances in Harmony Assistant, it seems that you need to add 'Sortie MIDI 4', 'Sortie MIDI 5' and so on. I'm not familiar with Harmony Assistant so I don't know how you would add those. I can't find any clues how to do this in your screenshots. If the manual gives no mention of how to add more you may have to try their user forums.

Hope this helps.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Thanks Michael!

My not-understanding the instance issue may be due to the fact that Finale and Harmony Assistant work in different ways.
    Am I right in saying that Finale 2010 has GPO4 incorporated into it? In order to see the ARIA PLAYER available in your VST instrument list, do you have to open the ARIA PLAYER as a standalone? Or it's there and available even if it's not open?

Harmony Assistant needs the standalone open, and direct each channel to it in order to reproduce the instrument sound (that's what I understood, anyway...). Once I have filled the 16 slots of the standalone, and hence used channels 1-16 of MIDI output #1 in HA, I don't understand how to go on, as MIDI output #2 is not associated with anything. It's like if I would need a second copy of the standalone open at the same time. I'm not sure that's feasible though, or don't know how to do it... In the work I am doing now, I only have 10 instruments, so MIDI output #1 is enough. I would not know how to add more instruments if I ever exceeded 16, though...

Then again, maybe I don't understand well the mechanics!

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Y

P.S.: @ Randy: it would seem Yudit does not exist anymore, as I get an "invalid user" with the search engine...

Hello again, Ipsilon - First, a round of applause for Michael - he's really been trying to help.

I've looked at the Myriad site (makers of Harmony Assistant) and discovered that it doesn't support VST hosting - which means that what we've been talking about, using multiple instances of Aria, is unfortunately not available.

Your screen shot gave the impression that multiple instances of Aria were showing up, since we see Aria listed three times, and you pointed out there are 12 such available slots.

But what those slots are actually doing is pointing to your computer's available soft synths (Aria/GPO being one). Through those controls you get connected to Aria and whatever else you have, but Harmony Assistant doesn't host any of those soft synths itself.

So you are correct - there is no way to have another instance of Aria in HA. "Hosting" means the ability of a program to have a soft synth actually open up inside of the program, rather than connecting to a stand-alone version of the soft synth. I use Sonar, and in my current project I have 15 soft synths in it, and among that list are multiple instances of Kontakt and Aria.

Finale, Sibelius, Overture and all the sequencer programs like Sonar, Cubase and Digital Performer have the ability to host soft synths. We're so accustomed to that, Michael and I were assuming HA could do the same. Sorry.

HA has a digital synth built in to to it, and that's intended as the primary sound source for the program.

Here's where you could go to interact with other Myriad/Harmony Assistant users:

Harmony Assistant User Forum

That looks like a good, active Forum. It would be good for you to get involved there. You'll probably find tips on getting the most out of HA and working with its limitations.

And pardon me about suggesting you contact Yudit. That's her real name--Her user name is Sunbird. I just now checked, and you can find her in the Search engine by that name. She lives in Israel, and is fairly active here. She may be able to give you some tips since she used to use HA.

Randy B.

Hello Randy,

Ipsilon, I too have Sonar and, as Randy mentioned, both Finale and Sonar do indeed support VST (Virtual Studio) so we are able to run GPO4 via a VST plugin in both Finale and Sonar.

As Randy has discovered, Harmony Assistant doesn't support VST so GPO4, or indeed any other VST plugin won't run directly within Harmony Assistant.

However, I have often heard of people getting around this by using a 'Virtual MIDI Cable'. This is software which is claimed to be able to connect MIDI programs. I use the term 'claimed' because I have never actually tried them. Here are some examples of free 'Virtual MIDI Cables'.

I really must stress that I have never used any of these nor do I know anyone in our forums who have so I can't vouch for them. The other thing to emphasise is that some research would need to be done to check suitability for the operating system you are using if you intend to try them.

Maple Virtual Midi Cable
    http://www.maplemidi.com/Maple_driver.html

Midi Yoke Virtual Midi Cable
    http://www.midiox.com/index.htm?http....com/myoke.htm

I would echo Randy's suggestion of asking around in the Harmony Assistant Forums. Someone there might suggest better solutions or have experience of using Virtual MIDI Cables. It's certainly worth asking around there.

Good luck.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Howdy, Michael

Using virtual MIDI cables like Maple is one of the topics I noticed on several threads at Harmony Assistant's Forum. Using them does seem to help HA users expand the program's abilities.

But I didn't mention them before because virtual cables don't solve the problem of HA not being to host soft synths. Virtual cables connect to outside soft synths, just as HA already does, but increases the number of MIDI ports available. In other words - Aria would still only be used as a stand alone, and there can only be one instance.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk View Post
    Hello Randy,

Ipsilon, I too have Sonar and, as Randy mentioned, both Finale and Sonar do indeed support VST (Virtual Studio) so we are able to run GPO4 via a VST plugin in both Finale and Sonar.

As Randy has discovered, Harmony Assistant doesn't support VST so GPO4, or indeed any other VST plugin won't run directly within Harmony Assistant.

However, I have often heard of people getting around this by using a 'Virtual MIDI Cable'. This is software which is claimed to be able to connect MIDI programs. I use the term 'claimed' because I have never actually tried them. Here are some examples of free 'Virtual MIDI Cables'.

I really must stress that I have never used any of these nor do I know anyone in our forums who have so I can't vouch for them. The other thing to emphasise is that some research would need to be done to check suitability for the operating system you are using if you intend to try them.

Maple Virtual Midi Cable
    http://www.maplemidi.com/Maple_driver.html

Midi Yoke Virtual Midi Cable
    http://www.midiox.com/index.htm?http....com/myoke.htm

I would echo Randy's suggestion of asking around in the Harmony Assistant Forums. Someone there might suggest better solutions or have experience of using Virtual MIDI Cables. It's certainly worth asking around there.

Good luck.

Go Back to forum