• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Dan Dean Bass

Share/Bookmark

Dan Dean Bass

Dan Dean\'s Bass Library is fantastic. I haven\'t used all of them yet, but those that I have are totally realistic. Next time I buy more samples, Dean\'s stuff will be one of the first I consider. Thanks, Dean, and keep \'em coming, it\'s good to have developers out there you can depend on for consistent quality.

Re: Dan Dean Bass

I just wish he would have included up and down strokes for the picked guitars and 1st and 2nd finger strokes for the fingered basses. Otherwise the overall quality is very nice.

Has anyone successfully applied the Giga Bass update to these gigs. I downloaded the update but the instructions are a bit confusing. They state: load the GS editor, load the particular instrument that you plan on updating and then to select \"load articulation file\" which is supposed to be under the drop down menu under file. I don\'t see it however. From there the instructions tell you to navigate to the place on your computer that you have stored the Giga Bass Updates. Perhaps I\'m missing something.

Are you going under the File menu in the Editor program? Make sure you\'re not in the main GigaStudio program but the Editor.

Looking around to know which sounds will make my GS library for its best, I read all the good things you say from Dan Dean Bass cd!
    Just a question : from the demo I listened to, it seems to me that this library is sonically very good, (mainly thanks to a lot of mikes/amps combinations) BUT lacks a real set of articulations/nuances which would allow these basses to truly come alive (as opposed to the Scarbee\'s bass, whose \"more-than-realistic\" demoes quite impressed me).
    is it a wrong feeling ?
    I mean, maybe it\' due to the demo ?
    As a user, do you think that true \"bassistic\" expression is really achievable with D.D.Basses, whatever the style (solo, slap, walking, lines...) ?
    Thanks for your opinions !

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sirbellog:
    it seems to me that this library is sonically very good, BUT lacks a real set of articulations/nuances
    is it a wrong feeling ?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, Your quite right. While the sound of
    each bass is great, there\'s no variations.
    You get a bass in 5 versions (fingered,pluck and slap etc.), but there\'s no velocity variation, no up/down strokes , no slides and fretnoise.

Kind regards
    Bjk

Well, thanks for this first answer !
    Other people\'s ones will be welcome.
    This first one seems to confirm my listener\'s feeling, but this is rather strange (\'may be a bit naive remark, but I\'m very new to GS\' world) :
    what made me look towards GS in the first place, IS the hope to get new ways to achieve realism in instruments\' emulation...(I fully realized that when I discovered the akai version of Quantum Guitars with all its articulations, and the tremendous difference it makes)
    that\'s the very reason why I\'m willing to quit hardware samplers !
    And so a very well-recorded but \"static\" Gig bass would probably make me as unhappy as I\'ve been in the past with \"traditionnal\" sampled ones (which yet did not sound so bad)....
    So it would be indeed quite disapointing for me to \"fall upon\" limited (and hence frustrating) libraries.
    Besides, Dan Dean seems to be a very praised designer, and there is very positive users\' feedback about his sounds.
    So am I missing something ?

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sirbellog:

So it would be indeed quite disapointing for me to \"fall upon\" limited (and hence frustrating) libraries.
    Besides, Dan Dean seems to be a very praised designer, and there is very positive users\' feedback about his sounds.
    So am I missing something ?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. <g>

I use this library often. There is nothing limited about it, the basses are all perfectly recorded and have tone for days...right down to the Guild \"rubber band bass.\" Or listen to the upper register of the Alembics--dead on. Across the board, Fender, Hohner, Hofner--all dead-on. This library is a tone-fest.

These are functional basses, they sit firmly in mixes with very smooth note-to-note performance...and they do it without eating all your RAM, leaving you room to load up big drumsets, pianos, etc., along with them.

This isn\'t to take anything from more detailed libraries at all, everything has its purpose.

But if you\'ve been producing pop music with actual players for very long, you know that one of the biggest challenges is evening-out the bass part so that you have a consistent bottom-end foundation. Dan\'s basses will get you there with no fiddling around. In that respect, they are some of the very best on the market. They have serious butt. They know their role, and they fill it perfectly.

Dan\'s solo strings are exactly the same programming technique--you don\'t see many people arguing with their playability or sound. A sample library doesn\'t necessarily need to be 16-layers deep to accomplish a task...

There are great single-velocity libraries, and awful multi-velocity libraries. Only those funny-looking holes in the side of your head can tell you if something works. This bass library definitely works, and is quite a bargain for the price. I have programmed things with this library, then tried to substitute more \"esoteric\" samples, only to go right back to my original choice, because Dan\'s basses have such TONE.

Your choice of Bass library depends on your needs and the music you want to make. Right now it seems that the bass player gets more \"room\" than he has had for many years. the \"eighties are back\". After 10 years of lo-fi we probably will se a new period of more or less advanced bass playing - at least that is what I hear on the radio these days. If you want to play advanced soul-disco-funk stuff you need a lot of articulation to make those cool bass lines.

And RAM is getting cheaper everyday...

Scarbee

Im getting both!

Go Back to forum