• Register
  • Help

Topic: Kettle Drums?

Share/Bookmark

Kettle Drums?

Not yet a GPO User and about to be. But, looking at the instrument list, I don't see any kettle drums?

Does GPO4 have it?

Re: Kettle Drums?

Sorry. Ignore that. Saw it: Timpani

And I think they're very good Tympani. Each note has two different samples, left hand hit and right hand hit. They're placed two octaves apart and you're to play them alternately, the way a Tympanist would. You can get very good results.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    They're placed two octaves apart and you're to play them alternately, the way a Tympanist would. You can get very good results.

Randy
    Explain please. Rolls also with two hands?
    See this score and give me some instructions how to interpret this.

http://g.sheetmusicplus.com/Look-Ins...e/96459_01.jpg

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Explain please. Rolls also with two hands?
    See this score and give me some instructions how to interpret this.

http://g.sheetmusicplus.com/Look-Ins...e/96459_01.jpg

Raymond
    The GPO Tympani are part of the set up in "Basic Orchestra Percussion." The manual shows where the notes are located, but they're quickly found playing on a keyboard.

Each note has two different samples. The two different sets of samples, left hand and right hand hits, are two octaves apart. Using the index finger, one can play Tympani parts in a way emulating a Tympanist, the fingers being the mallets.

Raymond, I think you know that I work exclusively in Sonar. I start my work by playing my keyboard, and then edit in the Piano Roll View, sometimes using other Sonar tools such as the Velocity filter.

How a notation user utilizes these two corresponding pairs of Tympani notes is something I don't know. It has to be in the area of hiding a track, giving zero velocity values to notes you don't want triggered --I don't know. Beyond me!

Looking at the score example you posted, I would play and/or insert those notes, always alternating between the two different octaves of Tympani notes. It really makes a difference using left and right hand strikes, helping to avoid the "machine gun effect," since repeated notes aren't triggering the same samples over and over.

At the places where fast rolls are indicated in the score, I would do what I've described a few times here at the Garritan Forums, playing the roll live, and then shortening the MIDI clip with Sonar's Length tool, to get an even faster roll.

There's currently discussion and info about Tympani rolls in the Tips and Techniques Forum here:

TYMPANI TUTORIALS

Forum member Steve Johnson has put together a very thorough tutorial on his method for using the GPO Tympani, and included on that thread is a re-post of my own method using Sonar.

Here's an MP3 example of a Tympani roll played live by me and then tweaked in Sonar, using the steps outlined on the above thread:

A GPO TYMPANI ROLL

Randy

I remember watching a film of one of the Hoffnung concerts, where the timps were, in fact, giant bowls of milk. They looked for all the world just like skins, until the orchestra arrived at the end of the piece, timpanist took a huge swing at the Dominant, and fell in. Sadly I can't find a clip anywhere.

But I think we need samples...with a variety of full-fat, pasturised, goat, yak, etc
    David

Go Back to forum