• Register
  • Help

Topic: Velocity control

Share/Bookmark

Velocity control

I just upgrade my grand 2 to grand 3 with this product there are more options for controlling the velocity, and I must say it makes the world of difference , I understand that the pc world has an app for this but I use a mac so I'm stuck with the basic controls of my steinway, Is there a possible upgrade in the future to add this option

Re: Velocity control

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    I just upgrade my grand 2 to grand 3 with this product there are more options for controlling the velocity, and I must say it makes the world of difference , I understand that the pc world has an app for this but I use a mac so I'm stuck with the basic controls of my steinway, Is there a possible upgrade in the future to add this option

IF you are referring to the Steinberg product "The Grand2/3" you are on the wrong forum. This is for Garritan Steinway products only.

I know this, because I own the Grand 2 myself but don't use it anymore.

Raymond

Yes i am referring to the Garritan Steinway I only mentioned the grand as an example , I feel the garritan product is a great product , I own the pro version but it lacks in the control of the velocity curves, the other company that has absolute control would be pianoteq , but can not be compared since its not a sampled piano, therefor the mention of the grand 3

Agreed. Graphic control allowing us to pull around the velocity curve and tailor it to different controllers would be extremely helpful. The controllers themselves are often lacking in this kind of adjustment (my weighted keyboard just lets me pick "response 1", "response 2", or "response 3", and as far as I can tell they are all linear, just shifted one way or the other.

-glenn

the Steinway's velocity curve is a proportional "curve"
    not just velocities raised or lowered.
    Dan

understood but we need more control , I dont want to compare but here it is with the grand 3 there are many velocity forms including the one offered by Garritan and EW, maybe introduce more options . for example the curve thats useful for me with the grand 3 is shaped like "S" at 45 degrees. or like a f hole in a violin

Again I'm not comparing products this is a velocity issue

I'm agree with Ranger

I use
    d the program : "MIDI Velocity Curve Changer" with my digital piano Yamha CLP 240 and the Garritan Steinway (via MidiYoke)

But there is a big problem : the
    sympathetic resonance doesn't work with "MIDI Velocity Curve Changer" (whereas the sympathetic resonance works very well when I don't use it)

Now I prefer to not use this program
    So
    I'd want an improve of the velocity control in Garritan Steinway

Thanks for the request. I'd definitely like to add expanded velocity curve control to future versions. There's too much already planned for the next v1.05 update, so it won't be soon however. If possible I'd suggest trying to find a third party utility that may be able to do velocity remapping. Offhand I'm not aware of a mac utility to do this, but in principle a prospective utility would be as easy to make for mac as for Windows - so I don't expect any fundamental obstacle to finding one (it's probably just a matter of whether some programmer has happened to create one). Hopefully someone may have a suggestion for you. If you are using the Steinway as a plugin within a sequencer, there are often midi tools as part of the sequencer which you can use for velocity adjustment. Stand-alone would definitely need a third party tool for the near to mid term future.

Thumbs up Re: Velocity control

thanks for the listen and response

Go Back to forum