• Register
  • Help

Topic: Confused about the difference between CC#1 and CC#7 in GPO 4

Share/Bookmark

Confused about the difference between CC#1 and CC#7 in GPO 4

I'm struggling to understand the difference between the effect of CC#1 and CC#7, and the situations in which they should be used. I've just exported a midi file of a score created in Finale 2009. When I load it into Sonar I see that the strings' volume is controlled by a series of CC#1 controllers while the woodwinds have CC#7 controllers. My understanding was that ALL sustaining instruments used CC#1 for volume.

I've read what the manual has to say about this but I'm none the wiser. If anyone can shed some light on it for me I'd be extremely grateful.

Steve S.

Re: Confused about the difference between CC#1 and CC#7 in GPO 4

Quote Originally Posted by ssilverm View Post
    I'm struggling to understand the difference between the effect of CC#1 and CC#7, and the situations in which they should be used. I've just exported a midi file of a score created in Finale 2009. When I load it into Sonar I see that the strings' volume is controlled by a series of CC#1 controllers while the woodwinds have CC#7 controllers. My understanding was that ALL sustaining instruments used CC#1 for volume.

I've read what the manual has to say about this but I'm none the wiser. If anyone can shed some light on it for me I'd be extremely grateful.

Steve S.
    Hi, Steve...
    Please do not be confused by Finale's behavior when human playback is invoked. It has a mind of its own. That is NOT a criticism, but it does what it does how IT does it.
    Your general understanding of how CC1 works is correct for sustaining instruments.
    In Finale, have you checked in Human Playback Prefs "OPTIMIZE FOR GARRITAN"? Also note what is/isn't checked in HP PREFERENCES>DYNAMICS & VOLUME and play around...you can always reset it

HP often uses volume for balance--for ex, it boosts volume on any passage marked SOLO.

Use of CC1 not only increases volume but it also triggers filters so that the brass, for ex., become brassier in timbre as they get louder. CC7 is just "volume" without a timbre change, and HP often uses that to move lines in and out of prominence.

Also-when exporting MIDI, please run the "APPLY HUMAN PLAYBACK" plugin on the file before exporting, if you haven't done so already.

But in any case, outside of Finale's HP, your knowledge about CC1 is correct!

there are a lot of user-manipulable settings in HP; I'll be glad to shed any light I can. The creator of HP also hangs out here from time to time & would be the ultimate authority!!
    Jim W.
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Re: Confused about the difference between CC#1 and CC#7 in GPO 4

Many thanks, Jim. That helps immensely.

Steve S.

Go Back to forum