Share/Bookmark

Great NAMM discount on LASS!

Check out www.audiobro.com!

Andrew has a special NAMM offer: LASS 1.1 for only $999

Oh, this is SO tempting with the euro/dollar exchange rate

Enjoy NAMM Andrew!

Re: Great NAMM discount on LASS!

Thanks Peter,

Just so people understand, this NAMM promotional sale is extended to everyone... not just those attending NAMM.

Cheers,

Andrew K

After reading all the glowing reviews and checking out the demos I purchased LASS.
    In my opinion there are some issues that you should be aware of if you are
    thinking about buying it. There are some serious tuning issues that I find unacceptable.
    I was hoping that the latest update would address this but many are still there.
    You are only getting three bowed articulations: sustains, staccato and spiccato.
    The amount you can change the length of the staccato patch with the mod wheel is
    very small. Certainly cannot go from marcato to staccato.
    I don't really care for the sound of the violin samples. ( cellos sound pretty good)
    Unfortunately Andrew has declined my request to transfer my license
    to someone else or I would give you a good deal
    on it.
    For what it's worth I have owned every major string library since Garritan Orchestral Strings,
    I do 6 or 7 live string session a year. I am no novice to this.
    Check out the competition before you pull the trigger.

I think everyone has a different reaction to LASS depending on what their intended use is. I've had a great experience with it, most especially with the spicc and stacc patches and the A.R.T. script. I also like that the sections can be broken down into smaller numbers of players, so if you're working on something that's quiet and intimate, but builds, you can easily go from a V1 sustain patch with just 2 players, to 8 players, to a full section, etc. But certainly, different strokes for different folks. A lot of people hated Symphobia when it came out too, and a lot of people loved it.

I too like hearing the negatives about certain libraries, but I think it's a great idea, if you're posting the things about it you don't like, to also post about it the things that you DO like. Information like that really does help people when they're looking to make a big purchase. And that's what we're all here for: information!

Kerry

I was somewhat dumbstruck in the last, long LASS thread here that so few people found the (imo also unacceptable) tuning of LASS not a problem. From the little I've played around with it at a studio, it's sounded like the most badly tuned orchestral library I've ever heard, even worse than the symphobia woodwinds which are all over the place. I also feel that there is absolutely no upside to badly tuned instruments, they don't in anyway sound more real, they just sound bad until you mask them with other instruments or reverb or whatever.

The good things are of course the divisi stuff that no-one has done before and the overall recording quality, which is high. I might pick this up if there's a -50% sale sometime in the far future so I can mix it up with other libraries, but wouldn't use it as my only string thing.

My respect to LASS makers for their hard work tho, I've done some orchestral sampling myself and it's very demanding work where you need almost inhuman amounts of attention to detail. I wish them all the best for their new projects and hope that they keep a digital tuner with them at all times while recording.

EDIT= I also think it's great that LASS is a kontakt -based instrument and hope this doesn't change in the future. I'm totally fed up with every sample library maker starting their own format and sampler. Kontakt is very flexible and it's great if you can have all your sample libraries in one sampler (also makes doubling instruments easier).

Quote Originally Posted by user002 View Post
    My respect to LASS makers for their hard work tho, I've done some orchestral sampling myself and it's very demanding work where you need almost inhuman amounts of attention to detail. I wish them all the best for their new projects and hope that they keep a digital tuner with them at all times while recording.
    Hi User002,

Thanks for the kind wishes.

With regards to tuning, if you digitally tune the strings, it sounds very synthy and sucks the "life" out of the samples. I know this because we tried this very early on in development and it didn't sound good. Then when you combined it with other "digitally tuned" layers, it sounded even more lifeless and synthy. All these "tuning" things and "human imperfections" are the real "juices" of a live performance... and what makes it so real sounding, but a lot of this has been addressed without digital tuning in the 1.1 update.

Best,

Andrew K

Quote Originally Posted by scf3 View Post
    Unfortunately Andrew has declined my request to transfer my license to someone else or I would give you a good deal
    on it.
    But there's nothing strange in that, since the user license of LASS states that the license is not transferrable. You can't install LASS without confirming that you've read the license.

I don't mean to sound like some smart-, I don't read these usually (either?), but I happened to read it this time so I remember it was actually there. I thought for a while before pressing OK actually...
    Film Composer - www.juhanalehtiniemi.com
    My latest project: Our first indie pop -single, produced in Ableton Live, available also on iTunes and Amazon
    Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz

Yes I know about the EULA but I was hoping that a business with an unsatisfied customer might try and compromise. Wish I could deliver music like that. Here it is... don't like it, too bad. Some developers ( like Spectrasonics ) have the option to transfer the license.

I downloaded and installed the update a couple days ago. Haven't had a chance to dig in real deep yet, but in everything I tested out, I felt that the tuning issues that had bothered me before were completely gone. LASS sounded great before and it's even more incredible now.

I did a string session the other day with 4 players. I left the virtual strings muted while they played, but while one of the violinists were in the control room, I played him a bit of my virtual string track. He looked surprised when I told him these weren't the live tracks.

And just a bit nervous.

Quote Originally Posted by Thonex View Post
    Hi User002,

With regards to tuning, if you digitally tune the strings, it sounds very synthy and sucks the "life" out of the samples.
    Have the string players play in tune when you sample them. Then you don't have to digitally tune.
    Want to use the divisi for a more intimate sound? Good luck, because the only way the "out of tune makes it more realistic" theory works is if the majority of the instruments are in tune. You will have to cover the bad notes with another divisi section.

Go Back to forum