• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Virtual guitarist replacement?

Share/Bookmark

Virtual guitarist replacement?

Hello all,

Virtual guitarist 2 seems to be on it's last legs in snow leopard and I need to find something to replace it. I have looked around but have not really found anything that suits my needs. Real guitar seemed cool at first but a lot of these instruments don't sound very convincing or (forgive me) expensive. VG 2 was unique in a few ways in that it covered such broad ground, sounded huge and had the ability to really shape the sound.

I'm doing some trailer cues and I really like groove addicts sound so a great sounding guitar plug is a must. any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Virtual guitarist replacement?

I use VG2. It's great. Does it not work in SL? I am still in 10.5.8. I guess you just will have to stay out of SL to use it? I also recommend the MOR Guitars by Eastwest as a possible solution.

By the way, I really enjoyed the Reason Instructional DVD. Excellent material. I use Reason with DP so the DVD helped to get me going.

I went to your web page and was impressed by your TV work. Lots of trailors but don't think those sounds are from Reason...especially all the hits etc. What library and software are you using on those trailors? Are you recording in the new Reason Record as well?

Many thanks,
    JB

[/COLOR]

We've got a very big NAMM announcement coming up momentarily that should help. Putting the finishing touches on the preview video right now...stay tuned via Twitter (twitter.com/vir2instruments).

This feels like well tread territory, so there's plenty of offerings all around the net.

On the cheaper side, you have Lyrical Distortion's many libraries, some sound great, some not so much, but they're great for an extra lemon twist on a track that needs a little zing.

On the expensive side, you have Prominy's libraries which come in distorted and clean flavors, tons of flexibility, but the libraries are MASSIVE and require a lot of time and effort to really squeak out something fantastic--but no articulation goes unsampled--so it's very complete.

On the trailer-sound side, you have Ministry of Rock, Alex Pfeffer's DISTORTED, and Cinesample's Iron Guitars.

But I have issues with prerecorded distortion, never quite sounds right with the sample off notes and chords. MoR does have some non-distorted/amped mic positions, so that helps.

The Tonehammer and 9Volt loop libraries sound great distorted out of the box, but they're loop libraries, not multi-sample libraries, so there's no real flexibility and always the risk of something being recognized as a loop.

Impact Soundworks is coming out with a multisamples library that sounds like a good mid-level shred library that would go well with some amp modeling.

Don't remember when though, they have some good demos on their site.

But I wouldn't fear, if I were you, it's NAMM month and there are bound to be tons of announcements coming up about new samples.

An amp modeler is a must, in my opinion.
    - Dan

Don't forget about Strum Electric and Strum Acoustic as well...............playz
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

I am on Snow Leopard and managed to get VG2 to work in Logic. I didn't understand if you need help installing it (it's very tricky) but if you do, just ask and I'll get in touch.
    However, I've always been in search of something more flexible and - most importantly - recorded clean (to be able to process the sound via an amp sim). Let's hope the forthcoming libraries can cover new ground!
    Claudio Tassitano
    Samplemodeling.com webmaster
    --
    http://www.soundwavers.com

Hey buddy, thanks for your offer. VG 2 is installed fine. It's just not very stable in logic 9... at least from my experience, it has not been stable since logic 8. Now, i'm hesitant to even use it in a session. I typically run it stand alone and record it in audio hijack and then import it into record. Not ideal but there is a certain quality to the app I have yet to find elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by N-Joy View Post
    I am on Snow Leopard and managed to get VG2 to work in Logic. I didn't understand if you need help installing it (it's very tricky) but if you do, just ask and I'll get in touch.
    However, I've always been in search of something more flexible and - most importantly - recorded clean (to be able to process the sound via an amp sim). Let's hope the forthcoming libraries can cover new ground!

I'm sure it is well tread territory and I appreciate you letting me know about those products.

For me, it's the exact opposite. I think amp modeling is unconvincing. Vg2 has a great selections of tones dist/clean that sound great. And, being able to design riffs is where it's at. I can't stand MOR. It sounds thin and stuck in the 80's. Leads are the the one aspect of a guitar that can be faked convincingly and it was weird to me that they would make that such a big part of that plug in. I have yet to hear a riff based plug-in that can compete with any modern rock record like say Mastodon's Crack The Skye.

Loop wise, Sony has a library called "Metal, The Ultimate Construction Kit" and believe me when I say it's no joke. However, unlike VG2, they are static loops but man do they sound massive. Best of the bunch in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by dannthr View Post
    This feels like well tread territory, so there's plenty of offerings all around the net.

On the cheaper side, you have Lyrical Distortion's many libraries, some sound great, some not so much, but they're great for an extra lemon twist on a track that needs a little zing.

On the expensive side, you have Prominy's libraries which come in distorted and clean flavors, tons of flexibility, but the libraries are MASSIVE and require a lot of time and effort to really squeak out something fantastic--but no articulation goes unsampled--so it's very complete.

On the trailer-sound side, you have Ministry of Rock, Alex Pfeffer's DISTORTED, and Cinesample's Iron Guitars.

But I have issues with prerecorded distortion, never quite sounds right with the sample off notes and chords. MoR does have some non-distorted/amped mic positions, so that helps.

The Tonehammer and 9Volt loop libraries sound great distorted out of the box, but they're loop libraries, not multi-sample libraries, so there's no real flexibility and always the risk of something being recognized as a loop.

Impact Soundworks is coming out with a multisamples library that sounds like a good mid-level shred library that would go well with some amp modeling.

Don't remember when though, they have some good demos on their site.

But I wouldn't fear, if I were you, it's NAMM month and there are bound to be tons of announcements coming up about new samples.

An amp modeler is a must, in my opinion.

Thanks guy. Your right, a lot of those sounds are not from reason, they were loaded into reason or custom made. I don't see how anyone would actually just use the sounds out of the box exclusively. That being said, you would be surprised at what sounds were from reason.

As for the sounds... you would have to give me an example. Some are made in house. And yeah, I made the jump to record back in the Alpha stage for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesBond007 View Post
    I use VG2. It's great. Does it not work in SL? I am still in 10.5.8. I guess you just will have to stay out of SL to use it? I also recommend the MOR Guitars by Eastwest as a possible solution.

By the way, I really enjoyed the Reason Instructional DVD. Excellent material. I use Reason with DP so the DVD helped to get me going.

I went to your web page and was impressed by your TV work. Lots of trailors but don't think those sounds are from Reason...especially all the hits etc. What library and software are you using on those trailors? Are you recording in the new Reason Record as well?

Many thanks,
    JB

[/COLOR]

Guys, take a look at what is koming to HIT YOU !

From the halls of Valhalla comes an electric guitar library so powerful, it needs two subtitles.

SHREDDAGE: Electric Rhythm Guitar: Rock & Metal

Forged from the hammer of Ragnarok, Shreddage is a next-generation rhythm guitar library. It has been designed to provide the most realistic and flexible sound for rock and metal playing, giving the user the ability to recreate nearly any riff.

Unlike many other guitar libraries, Shreddage is extremely focused and took nearly two years to become fully realized. We recorded and re-recorded samples and articulations, analyzing multiple types of playing techniques, classic riffs, guitars, strings, DIs and mapping methods. The result is not only extremely deep and realistic, but intuitive and easy to play.

Features:

* The sound of a classic metal guitar run through a pristine, high-end Avalon DI at 24/96 and downsampled to 24/44.1 for the final release.
    * All multisamples, NO LOOPS
    * Tuning all the way down to Bb (the "B" stands for "brutal")
    * CLEAN recordings to amp however you want
    * Every crucial articulation for rock and metal rhythms: open sustains, powerchords, palm mutes, fast mutes, powerchord mutes, fast powerchord mutes, powerchord half-mutes, chord stops, pinch squeals, pick scrapes and slides
    * A staggering 8x round robin for just about all articulations, on every note - say goodbye to the machine gun effect
    * Dead-simple interface with quick mix controls (attack, decay, release, filters, EQ)
    * NO convoluted, complex scripted system that takes weeks to learn - just load up patches and play. No need for extensive MIDI CC control, modwheel, aftertouch or keyswitch manipulation

Shreddage will be released February 2010 at the truly metal price of $49 (Kontakt 2 format.) In the meantime, we'll be working on more demos as well as the product manual which contains full details about all the articulations and mapping.

Can't wait for this !!!

If you can't wait for all that, check out these beta demos!

http://www.impactsoundworks.com/audio/demos/Shredd age_-_Deep_Impact.mp3 (Guitar Rig 4 + Studio Devil amps - almost all other sounds are from other ISW libraries)
    http://www.impactsoundworks.com/audio/demos/Shredd age_-_Sketch_Montage.mp3 (various demo clips in various soft amps)
    http://www.impactsoundworks.com/audio/demos/Shredd age_-_Shred_it_to_the_Ground.mp3 (Guitar Rig 4 amps) ((apologies to Nickelback))

Go Back to forum