• Register
  • Help

Topic: Omnisphere note stick question for Spectrum (plogue related)

Share/Bookmark

Omnisphere note stick question for Spectrum (plogue related)

Hello!

I recently sent a few emails to Spectrasonics re: an issue with Omnisphere. I work as an assistant for film composer John Ottman (superman returns, valkyrie, orphan, atc)

John is a big fan of Omnisphere, and uses it a lot in his films. In fact, there's a lot of Omnisphere in his film, Orphan, which came out last year.

Due to RAM issues, we run Omnisphere on a slave PC computer, which is part of a larger MIDI over LAN setup. The machines were all built by Vision DAW. He runs Digital Performer on a Mac pro. We run the instances of Omnisphere in Plogue Bidule on the slave machine. He is running the latest versions of Omnisphere, as well as plogue. He currently runs DP 7.02.

He is having a LOT of difficulties with Omnisphere notes "sticking". Basically, he gets many patches that consistently get stuck playing a note, beyond the assigned note length. This happens a lot with the Adagio String patches, for instance. So the patch plays on, and on, and on. If he sends a NOTE off signal from Digital Performer, a global kill switch command, then the instance of Omnisphere stops playing the stuck note. But obviously, this is far from ideal- we're trying to avoid it happening in the first place.

This question is kind of geared towards Spectrum- but if anyone else has advice or suggestions it would be much appreciated.

Just to be clear- we can kill the note, so solutions for killing MIDI notes aren't that helpful or needed. We're really trying to get a preventative solution for this issue to avoid it in the near future. There are a couple of projects coming up very soon that we want to use Omnisphere on, hopefully without the sticking issues!

Thanks, in advance, for your help and consideration.

Best wishes,

Jonathan

Re: Omnisphere note stick question for Spectrum (plogue related)

Best to work directly with support on these issues and give them a lot of detail so that they can reproduce the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by littleleadmen View Post
    Hello!

I recently sent a few emails to Spectrasonics re: an issue with Omnisphere. I work as an assistant for film composer John Ottman (superman returns, valkyrie, orphan, atc)

John is a big fan of Omnisphere, and uses it a lot in his films. In fact, there's a lot of Omnisphere in his film, Orphan, which came out last year.

Due to RAM issues, we run Omnisphere on a slave PC computer, which is part of a larger MIDI over LAN setup. The machines were all built by Vision DAW. He runs Digital Performer on a Mac pro. We run the instances of Omnisphere in Plogue Bidule on the slave machine. He is running the latest versions of Omnisphere, as well as plogue. He currently runs DP 7.02.

He is having a LOT of difficulties with Omnisphere notes "sticking". Basically, he gets many patches that consistently get stuck playing a note, beyond the assigned note length. This happens a lot with the Adagio String patches, for instance. So the patch plays on, and on, and on. If he sends a NOTE off signal from Digital Performer, a global kill switch command, then the instance of Omnisphere stops playing the stuck note. But obviously, this is far from ideal- we're trying to avoid it happening in the first place.

This question is kind of geared towards Spectrum- but if anyone else has advice or suggestions it would be much appreciated.

Just to be clear- we can kill the note, so solutions for killing MIDI notes aren't that helpful or needed. We're really trying to get a preventative solution for this issue to avoid it in the near future. There are a couple of projects coming up very soon that we want to use Omnisphere on, hopefully without the sticking issues!

Thanks, in advance, for your help and consideration.

Best wishes,

Jonathan
    Hi Jonathan,

If you're using Plogue mainly as a hosting platform and not so much as a midi/sound design tool, I would suggest having a look at Vienna Ensemble Pro instead.
    Unlike other VSL products, this program is a host that also allows any other virtual instrument, not just VSL's own and can either run on the master machine in addition to the sequencer, or on a slave machine.

As a slave it can receive midi via network (like midi overlan), and can even transfer audio over network as well, as long as it's a 1gb Lan network or more.
    Alternatively you can use an audiocard to run the host with.

I've spent a long time with plogue over the last year, and eventhough it was a useful solution at the time, I think VSL Pro has raised the bar in useabillity and stabillity. It also seems to receive more regular updates and quicker support.
    For anything that needs to go beyond regular hosting, Plogue is still a great solution, but as a straight plug-in host for me there is no equal.

It can also be set to automatically load and save setups with your session (though I'm unsure whether at this time it does this on slave machines as well).

If you want to demo it you'll need a VSL or Steinberg dongle on each machine it needs to run on, but if you're using VSL instruments you might have a few of those already.

Cheers,

Joris
    Joris de Man - Composer | Sound Designer - www.jorisdeman.com | Killzone 2 soundtrack now available on iTunes link

Spectrum- Part of the reason why I was posting here is that I've emailed Spectrasonics and called several times. (3 emails, 2 voice mail messages) Nobody has gotten back to me at all. I understand that you guys are very busy, but it is very hard to run a time sensitive business like film scoring when there's little to no timely tech support made available. I'm ok, but John Ottman is fairly stressed about this issue.

Joris- Thanks for your suggestion that we look into the VSL solution. That may prove to be a good one. I'm still curious and think that this is a Omnisphere issue, as none of the other VST instruments have show this flaw in Plogue for us.

I've taken basic signal flow steps to check this out along the way. MIDI signals are getting through, all of the hardware is functioning, etc.... It keeps bringing me back to Omnisphere specifically as the the only VST that "sticks".

Thanks for the suggestions- keep them coming if new readers can come up with them. it's all much appreciate!

Sorry to hear that you didn't get a reply from us yet. I'll look into why that happened, as our response time is usually one or two business days.

You'll get a call today for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by littleleadmen View Post
    Spectrum- Part of the reason why I was posting here is that I've emailed Spectrasonics and called several times. (3 emails, 2 voice mail messages) Nobody has gotten back to me at all. I understand that you guys are very busy, but it is very hard to run a time sensitive business like film scoring when there's little to no timely tech support made available. I'm ok, but John Ottman is fairly stressed about this issue.

Joris- Thanks for your suggestion that we look into the VSL solution. That may prove to be a good one. I'm still curious and think that this is a Omnisphere issue, as none of the other VST instruments have show this flaw in Plogue for us.

I've taken basic signal flow steps to check this out along the way. MIDI signals are getting through, all of the hardware is functioning, etc.... It keeps bringing me back to Omnisphere specifically as the the only VST that "sticks".

Thanks for the suggestions- keep them coming if new readers can come up with them. it's all much appreciate!
    Hey Jonathan, no problem.
    A 'buy this instead' solution is not always what one wants to hear, and if there are bugs they should be fixed.
    I've had note stick issues in Plogue as well, but this was due to using it as a standalone application via rewire; this was pretty unreliable and Kontakt had hanging note issues, which I eventually traced down to just using rewire.
    But this sounds like a different problem altogether...

Cheers,

Joe
    Joris de Man - Composer | Sound Designer - www.jorisdeman.com | Killzone 2 soundtrack now available on iTunes link

Go Back to forum