• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Topic: Question about LASS

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Question Question about LASS

    Hello there,

    I'm interested in LASS primarily because it (for once) offers divisi. Which are missing in every other competitor, if I'm not mistaken.

    The thing is, I'm wondering about how you go from one articulation to another in LASS. Are there keyswitches or things like that? How does it work?

    I'm a Vienna user and I just wouldn't be able to live without the matrix editor in Vienna Instruments now. I simply add any articulation I want to the matrix and I chose how to go to it. Shouldn't be any other way.

    To me patches and keyswitches are an abomination from the past, because you're limited to the articulations they included in that keyswitch patch.

    Since it's year 2010, I'm also pretty reluctant at having to use several midi tracks/patches for one instrument/section (one for track for pizzicato violas, another one for legato violas, etc. EWW!).

    How is going from an articulation to another handled in LASS? Can I use one track in my sequencer for one instrument and painlessly use all the articulations I want on it?

    Thank you!

    Nino

    PS: if that can help any designer of future sample libraries, I won't buy anything anymore that doesn't allow me to easily included all articulations I want in a program and assign them to whatever I feel like (CC, key, speed, etc.).
    News & Music here.

  2. #2

    Re: Question about LASS

    Quote Originally Posted by Nino Mojo View Post
    Hello there,

    I'm interested in LASS primarily because it (for once) offers divisi. Which are missing in every other competitor, if I'm not mistaken.

    The thing is, I'm wondering about how you go from one articulation to another in LASS. Are there keyswitches or things like that? How does it work?

    I'm a Vienna user and I just wouldn't be able to live without the matrix editor in Vienna Instruments now. I simply add any articulation I want to the matrix and I chose how to go to it. Shouldn't be any other way.

    To me patches and keyswitches are an abomination from the past, because you're limited to the articulations they included in that keyswitch patch.

    Since it's year 2010, I'm also pretty reluctant at having to use several midi tracks/patches for one instrument/section (one for track for pizzicato violas, another one for legato violas, etc. EWW!).

    How is going from an articulation to another handled in LASS? Can I use one track in my sequencer for one instrument and painlessly use all the articulations I want on it?

    Thank you!

    Nino

    PS: if that can help any designer of future sample libraries, I won't buy anything anymore that doesn't allow me to easily included all articulations I want in a program and assign them to whatever I feel like (CC, key, speed, etc.).
    All articulations are in separate patches. What you can do is set up Instrument Banks that contain whichever patches you want. Then Program Changes can be used to switch between the patches. That's probably the simplest way to execute what you want and avoid keyswitches. It also allows you ultimate flexibility on which articulations you want.

    If you want to, there are also ways to use keyswitches to trigger program changes, which essentially gives you a really simple way to build your own keyswitches. None of this is unique to LASS, any Kontakt library can be set up this way.

  3. #3

    Re: Question about LASS

    Quote Originally Posted by tfishbein82 View Post
    All articulations are in separate patches. What you can do is set up Instrument Banks that contain whichever patches you want. Then Program Changes can be used to switch between the patches. That's probably the simplest way to execute what you want and avoid keyswitches. It also allows you ultimate flexibility on which articulations you want.

    If you want to, there are also ways to use keyswitches to trigger program changes, which essentially gives you a really simple way to build your own keyswitches. None of this is unique to LASS, any Kontakt library can be set up this way.
    Thank you!
    News & Music here.

  4. #4

    Re: Question about LASS

    Quote Originally Posted by Nino Mojo View Post
    Hello there,...

    The thing is, I'm wondering about how you go from one articulation to another in LASS. Are there keyswitches or things like that? How does it work?

    I'm a Vienna user and I just wouldn't be able to live without the matrix editor in Vienna Instruments now. I simply add any articulation I want to the matrix and I chose how to go to it. Shouldn't be any other way.

    To me patches and keyswitches are an abomination from the past, because you're limited to the articulations they included in that keyswitch patch.

    Since it's year 2010, I'm also pretty reluctant at having to use several midi tracks/patches for one instrument/section (one for track for pizzicato violas, another one for legato violas, etc. EWW!).

    PS: if that can help any designer of future sample libraries, I won't buy anything anymore that doesn't allow me to easily included all articulations I want in a program and assign them to whatever I feel like (CC, key, speed, etc.).

    It is very important to note that if you are looking for library with which you will load just one patch for a single instrument LASS might not be the best choice ( YET ) and let me explain why :

    - there are no multis included with the library but you can alway make your custom multi with KONTAKT 3.5 or 4 simply by combining all the single articulations you might need BUT...

    - All long articulations use the mod wheel for dynamics ( which is cool for expresivness ) but ALL the short ariculatios as staccato and spicattos use the mod wheel for shortening the release trails of the note ( which is very cool for some purposes ) BUT shorts and long articulations can not exist in a same multi because the mod wheel will mess badly with all the dynamics of sustain notes ( when shortening the release trails of shorts ) and the oposite - A nice solution would be if they make all short articulations to use the mod wheel for dynamics - this wall no matter what patch you have loaded you know that your wheel controls velocity and nothing else - and they can assign another CC for shortening relese trails

    - Also a great limitation are the sustained patches for all the notation purposes because : there are no separate patches for legatos portamentos and glisandos they are united in a single patch which is NOT keyswitch controllable. The way you can switch from legato to portamento is by controling the dynamics. You have to assign something like a velocity limit which will separate these articulations : for example all connected notes you will play under CC1 = 64 will be played as legato and all above will be portamenos - What is important to have in mind that you can not have both legatos and portamentos on a same velocity !!! So you cant play in ff a legato line with portamentos - it has to be only one of them. I really hope that they will make this controlable simply by keyswitching and keeping the velocity.

    So... unless the short articulations become dynamics controlable by the mod wheel ( matching the sustained articulations ) and the legato portamento limitations are lifted I do not think you can use this library in it's full potential with notation software or with just one patch per instrument.

  5. #5

    Re: Question about LASS

    Hi Flajolet,

    I just wanted to correct a couple of things that you may not be aware of since the new update...

    Quote Originally Posted by Flajolet View Post
    - there are no multis included with the library but you can alway make your custom multi with KONTAKT 3.5 or 4 simply by combining all the single articulations you might need BUT...
    There actually are Mutlis induced with LASS... I think what you are talking about are Instrument Banks... which are as easy as drag-and-drop to create

    Quote Originally Posted by Flajolet View Post
    - All long articulations use the mod wheel for dynamics ( which is cool for expresivness ) but ALL the short ariculatios as staccato and spicattos use the mod wheel for shortening the release trails of the note ( which is very cool for some purposes ) BUT shorts and long articulations can not exist in a same multi because the mod wheel will mess badly with all the dynamics of sustain notes ( when shortening the release trails of shorts ) and the oposite -
    There is now a CC Re-Router section in the Delay and Humanization script that allows you to re-route CC1 (or CC7,1, 83 -- the most common LASS CCs) to any CC so that you can in fact combine these patches without conflicts.

    With regards to notation programs, I'm in contact with Jonathan Loving and will probably talk to him during NAMM... apparently he's the best at creating notation sound banks.

    All the best,

    Andrew K (LASS developer)

  6. #6

    Re: Question about LASS

    Quote Originally Posted by Thonex View Post
    Hi Flajolet,

    I just wanted to correct a couple of things that you may not be aware of since the new update...



    There actually are Mutlis induced with LASS... I think what you are talking about are Instrument Banks... which are as easy as drag-and-drop to create



    There is now a CC Re-Router section in the Delay and Humanization script that allows you to re-route CC1 (or CC7,1, 83 -- the most common LASS CCs) to any CC so that you can in fact combine these patches without conflicts.

    With regards to notation programs, I'm in contact with Jonathan Loving and will probably talk to him during NAMM... apparently he's the best at creating notation sound banks.

    All the best,

    Andrew K (LASS developer)
    These are some good news ! I have a question : does this re-routing on short articulations mean that they can be made to be dynamics controllable via mod wheel CC1 ? and match the sustained velocities ??

    Also...you say there are multis included - Do you mean the LPG files ( which I pointed in my previous post as problematic by limiting the legato/portamento ) or there are some new patches which are with key-switchable portamento ?


    May I make an offer ? :
    - Let the short articulations be mod wheel dynamics controllable
    - Let the sustained multi be organized in the following way : A default sustain patch on which EVERY connected note will be played as a legato ( no matter velocity ) + keyswitch for portamento ( no matter what velocity ) and second keyswitch for glissando ( also no matter the velocity ). And still keep up the speed control CCs

    I think that hust by these 2 things the library will be PERFECT for use in notation software and ALL articulations will be usable with a single patch per instrument

    Plase tell me what you think on this one.

  7. #7

    Re: Question about LASS

    FYI, Andrew is now at NAMM and may not be able to respond to you right away.
    Peter L. Alexander
    www.professionalorchestration.com
    www.alexanderpublishing.com
    Learn it right the first time.

  8. #8

    Re: Question about LASS

    Quote Originally Posted by peter269 View Post
    FYI, Andrew is now at NAMM and may not be able to respond to you right away.
    We are all well aware of that, but have patience.

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •