• Register
  • Help

Topic: Keyswitching

Share/Bookmark

Keyswitching

Hi folks. Bought JABB a long time ago for a project that I never did. Now I have just purchsed a Receptor 2 that I will be using strictly for live gigging. The question is: does JABB support keyswitching to invoke various articulations for live use in cases where you are not using any sequencer?

Thanks ............. Rob

Re: Keyswitching

Quote Originally Posted by goldberg96
    does JABB support keyswitching to invoke various articulations for live use in cases where you are not using any sequencer?

Thanks ............. Rob
    YES! the keyswitches are below the playable notes.

I have a friend who just bought a Receptor 1 in mint condition.
    He thinks I am the midi guru,, far from it.... he brought it to me so I could help him install a few Native Instruments libraries. Mainly his GPO4 that he bought recently and Komplete Classic which is the B4, a Rhodes and an old Prophet something and some other stuff. Since there is no DVD/CD drive in the Receptor, how does one go about installing these libraries from discs?
    I sure could use some advice with that for him.,, thanks!
    Dan

Hi Rob and Dan,

I use JABB quite a bit, but to my knowledge, the keyswitches are more for switching brass mutes on and off (I.E., cup-muted trumpet to an open trumpet, or, a trombone in a bucket to a cup-muted trombone, etc.)

If Rob is talking strictly articulations ... like a trumpet kiss, doit, or a fall-off, I believe those are cc 15 and I wouldn't know how that could be mapped to a keyswitch.

Is that what you mean Rob?

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Frank D
    If Rob is talking strictly articulations ... like a trumpet kiss, doit, or a fall-off, I believe those are cc 15 and I wouldn't know how that could be mapped to a keyswitch. Frank
    You are absolutely correct Frank, these articulations you have mentioned are NOT controlled by keyswitches. My boo boo.

Dan

Well that's a drag. I guess I can try assigning that controller to a knob or switch on my controller board (Triton Studio 76) and try doing it that way. I will have to wait until I install the product. At this point I am still determining whether I am going to keep the Receptor or not. It's a big change for someone used to using self contained workstation keyboards his whole life. So far it seems to be getting really complicated and I'm beginning to wonder if the purchase was a mistake.

As to the question about installing products on Receptor, there's no short answer, it depends on the product. There are products that can be put in using a process called Direct Install. There are products that require you to download a Receptor 'helper' file and put it on Receptor before starting the install. And then there are 'Unsupported' plugins which are installed yet a third way.

What you need is the Receptor Remote Control software which you can get from Muse's website. You put that on your PC (or MAC) and then connect the two devices together either with a crossover cable for direct connect or by connecting Receptor to your home or studio network using standard DHCP networking protocol which is configured from Receptor's front panel. I use a dedicated Windows laptop for maintenance to Receptor so I just set the Receptor to 'Crossover' and use a crossover cable to directly connect to the laptop which then uses wireless to connect to the outside network. Once you have remote access to the Receptor, you will have remote access to the Receptor hard drive, the mixer functions, setup options, and other things from your computer. Then when installing something you will be using your computer's CD/DVD drive for mounting install media.

All of these install methods and network connection options can be read about by downloading the manual and the update addendum on the Muse website.

With NI products you also need the NI Service Center installed on your receptor.

A good source of info on how to install various products and determining which products are directly supported and which are unsupported is PLUGORAMA.COM. It's Muse's support website. There's also KVRAUDIO.COM which lists many unsupported plugins and tells you which are reported to work and which are not. I highly recommend that for each product you wish to install you look the product up on PLUGORAMA.COM and see what it says about Receptor suporting it and how to install it.

Hope that helps ............. Rob

Go Back to forum