• Register
  • Help

Topic: "Solo duplicate"

Share/Bookmark

"Solo duplicate"

In the GPO4 strings some of the solo instruments are marked "duplicate". What does this imply? If it is truly a duplicate of the (non-duplicate) solo instrument, why would I pick it rather than multiple instances of the solo instrument? Sorry if this is a stupid question; I'm pretty new to GPO, and don't see any reference to this in the doc.

Pat

Re: "Solo duplicate"

Quote Originally Posted by pokeefe View Post
    In the GPO4 strings some of the solo instruments are marked "duplicate". What does this imply? If it is truly a duplicate of the (non-duplicate) solo instrument, why would I pick it rather than multiple instances of the solo instrument? Sorry if this is a stupid question; I'm pretty new to GPO, and don't see any reference to this in the doc.

Pat
    Hello, Pat

Your post made me curious, so I had to go take a look at my GPO, since I don't recall any instruments being designated as "duplicate."

And now that I've looked specifically at the solo string instruments, I still don't see any of them labeled as "duplicate"----?

So I really don't know what you're talking about.

In GPO, there's something to observe about the "player" instruments, but this is explained thoroughly in the manual--"Players" are not soloists, but simpler, less complex samples which are derived from the much larger (file-wise) soloists, so one doesn't want to use Players with the same number as the soloists those samples are derived from since phasing can result. If one is using soloist #1 of any instrument, in order to construct an ensemble of instruments of the same type in conjunction with it, the "player" instruments with different numbers are the ones to use.

Is that what you're talking about?--in which case the word "duplicate" is your own terminology?---because I've never seen that specific word in the menus of any of GPO's several incarnations. But perhaps you were referring to the Players.

"... why would I pick it rather than multiple instances of the solo instrument..."

What do you mean by "multiple instances"---?

Randy B.

Oops. I usually have no reason to access the list of Garritan instruments directly - only through the Sibelius Mixer. It looks like this "duplicate" is a Sibelius artifact. The instrument select pull-down menus look pretty much the same except that Sibelius combines the Solo strings and Section strings into one list ... and a number of the solos strings appear twice and are marked "duplicate". I guess I'd better ask the Sibelius folks what this is about.

By "multiple instances" I meant assigning the same instrument to multiple channels. This doesn't sound like a good idea to me, but neither does picking a duplicate.

Sorry to waste your time on this.

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by pokeefe View Post
    Oops. I usually have no reason to access the list of Garritan instruments directly - only through the Sibelius Mixer. It looks like this "duplicate" is a Sibelius artifact. The instrument select pull-down menus look pretty much the same except that Sibelius combines the Solo strings and Section strings into one list ... and a number of the solos strings appear twice and are marked "duplicate". I guess I'd better ask the Sibelius folks what this is about.

By "multiple instances" I meant assigning the same instrument to multiple channels. This doesn't sound like a good idea to me, but neither does picking a duplicate.

Sorry to waste your time on this.

Pat
    Hello again, Pat - waste my time? Banish the thought. One of the main purposes of these Forums is to have a place where you can ask questions.

OK - So you're talking about Sibelius. Hmmm. I wonder if this "duplicate" comes up because you have the "Sound Essentials" plus GPO--The SE set has GPO instruments, and if you are using the full GPO in Sibelius, it seems possible that the program than needs to label the dupes. Just a theory, but seems logical.

If you have the same instrument duplicating the same musical line it doesn't work because of the phasing effect. But if you're assigning the same instrument to multiple channels, each with different lines being played, it could work OK.

Randy

Hello Randy

Your guess that the duplication is with "Sound Essentials" is very logical, but I suspect logic doesn't apply. For instance I have both "Violin 1 Gagli KS Solo" and "Violin 1 Gagli KS Solo duplicate", but "Violin 2 Strad KS Solo duplicate" without a non-duplicate. The term "bug" comes to mind. In any case, the Sibelius folks are looking into it.

Hmm. Through the Aria Player gui I don't see the violin maker mentioned at all but through the Sibelius Mixer I see "Strad", "Gagli", and "Guarn" (Solo Violin 1 is a Gagliano, 2 is a Strad, 3 is a Guarneri.) I assume you Aria has this info and is passing it to Sibelius. Either that or they have some awfully good analysis (or ears). :-)

Pat

Good to hear the Sib people are looking into it, Pat.

"...Through the Aria Player gui I don't see the violin maker mentioned at all but through the Sibelius Mixer I see "Strad", "Gagli", and "Guarn"..."

That's right, in the GPO manual the violin makers are listed, but the names are simplified in the instrument list in Aria because of lack of space.

Randy

Go Back to forum