• Register
  • Help

Topic: Simulate sordino strings?

Question Distorted Hollywood drum sound? Simulate sordino strings?

Does anyone have any ideas on how to simulate orchestral sordino strings if I only have the regular sustain sound? Is it just EQ? If so, which frequencies should I boost/cut? Is it different for each section (violin, viola, cello, bass)? How convincing is it?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by theguy126; 01-22-2010 at 04:11 AM. Reason: Make title more informative

Question EQ/distorted drums?

Another question I have is how to create the "distorted" drum sounds that are typical of Hollywood films. It can be found at the 0:20 mark of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeJ5hTQCKKg

Thanks in advance.

Re: Simulate sordino strings?

The easiest thing to do is to just try it yourself. But the first thing that comes to mind is lowering the high mid frequenzies. It could be hard to get a realistic sound but it's worth a try.

That drum sound isn't really distorted but rather "telephonized". There's a filter on it. Use a filter or EQ to remove cut the top and bottom and tweak till you have a similar sound. But of course you need to find samples that'll sound good filtered.
    /the Babies

Re: Simulate sordino strings?

I believe that Storm Drum patch is an older drum machine run through some analog processing. You could probably find the same type of sounds by looking for a hip hop drum machine sample library.

Go Back to forum