• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Stylus RMX question

Share/Bookmark

Stylus RMX question

I have a converted REX file bass groove from Styllin Baselines that has two grooves; one in E and the other in A. I need to make one in B to complete a three chord trick sequence. Question is, whats the best way to achieve this?

The only way I can think to do this is to load three instances of RMX into my sequencer in three seperate tracks and load each of the parts into each instance of SRMX (I can make a B by using the A and increasing the pitch by 2 cents in SRMX.). I can then drag and drop the midi patterns where I need them to play. Is there a better way?

I also note that no matter what the key is that a groove plays, when I look at the midi file pattern, the first note in the sequence is always C. Is that correct?

Re: Stylus RMX question

There are a couple of ways to achieve this, but as you are using them in a sequencer, it is easier than a "live" context.
    Have 3 tracks in the sequencer by all means and raise the pitch by 2 semitones on one of them. So you load the "E" and 2 instances of the "A", raising one of the "A"'s by 2 semitones (not cents as you put).

Option 2 is to have only the "E" & "A" parts loaded. Go to the edit page of the "A" and right click - midi learn the pitch control slider. In your sequencer you can enter or record the slider movement, moving the pitch up by 2 semitones and back down 2 again when you want it to play as "A". I do this all the time.

As an aside, one of the things I've noticed in the "tuned" or "pitched" riffs in RMX is that some of them are minor chords, some major, although they will only say "A" or "E". Perhaps they leave out part of the triad in the chord/riff so they can be either. It's worth testing alonside, say a piano chord to make sure you have the correct major/minor notes.

Another option is to have only one of the grooves, say the "E" loaded. Again, midi learn the pitch slider but this time use in Groove mode. The only thing that needs to be in your sequencer then are the midi cc's to move the pitch to any chord you want.

It is correct that each note in your groove pattern is C. This is partly a throwback to Recycle exports in midi with no disrespect to Spectrasonics.
    Think of these if you like as note lengths and not pitch - after all you are displaying the "groove".
    Each note in the groove is sampled to a key on your keyboard so if you were in groove mode, you could listen to each of the notes that make up the loop by playing from "C" upwards. You should have a go at this in slice mode because it is one of the vital parts of RMX. You can create your own grooves by moving these notes about in your sequencer midi loop. The power of this goes up by a factor of "n squared" when you apply this to edit groups and there are some great videos about this on the net.

Hope that helps
    Last edited by NeilB; 01-17-2010 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Mistake
    Neil B
    Pentium 4 PC Windows XP Home 32 bit 3.6 Ghz, Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian, Kontakt 3, GPO 3, EWQLSC, Scope Pulsar II, Cubase 4.5

Hi Neal, just up the road from me - I'm on the Leics/Northampton border

Thanks for your reply, that all makes sense.

How I have done it is to load a single instance of SRMX into my sequencer (Sonar) with three midi tracks associated with a virtual instrument - in this case SRMX.
    Then using three channels of SRMX, I have raised the A by two semitones (Thanks for correcting me - I now understand what a cent is in music terms after googling it to check)in one of the channels and then simply drag and dropped the midi patterns in each of the three midi tracks, including the adjusted A (which is now B) and it all works great.

I did watch the RMX videos a few times but a long time ago; I even d/l'd them all.

Later today I will go take a look at them again and seek out the Group Edits information. Thanks again for a great reply

My pleasure - wish I'd had time to do more but I'm up to my neck in sermons etc!!!!!!!
    Glad to help - I've lost count of the number of people who've helped me over the years

If I get chance, but I doubt it at the moment, I'll throw a couple of midi files with examples onto my website & let you know when I've done so.

Neil B
    www.tonaleffects.co.uk

By the way - if it's a while since you watched the Spectrasonics videos, you should also watch these:
    http://www.pluginguru.com/power-reviews/rmx18

Neil
    Last edited by NeilB; 01-16-2010 at 05:55 AM. Reason: Additional info
    Neil B
    Pentium 4 PC Windows XP Home 32 bit 3.6 Ghz, Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian, Kontakt 3, GPO 3, EWQLSC, Scope Pulsar II, Cubase 4.5

I was just thinking back to the possible problem of whether the chords are major or minor & thought I'd elaborate on it a little.

In your bassline in the sequencer, the notes are the groove, not the pitch as stated. But if you found you had a minor chord and wanted a major:
    1: find the relevant note in Slice Menu mode - the 3rd. Move that into its own edit group. Now edit the edit group by moving the pitch of that one note up 1 semitone. Hey presto.

Taking it farther:
    The beauty of the stylin basslines and such like is that they give you a groove.
    1. Go into the midi file in Sonar and take a couple of notes out - keep the groove, change the riff.
    2. Assign all 16 notes in the groove to their own edit groups. Now edit the pitch of each of them to create your own bassline while retaining the groove.

The power of these expansions is not that you use Nine Volts riffs, but that you use them as a base for creating your own.

Got your own riff now, with a solid groove? Next comes Time Designer.......

You're on your own with your own imagination now.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by NeilB; 01-17-2010 at 09:05 AM. Reason: mistake
    Neil B

wow!
    reading your helpfuland insightful words made me join this forum, just to say thank you!
    i love stylus rmx, and know how to use it quite well, but obviously not that well! you just got my creative juices flowing with the above tips!
    also i was thinking if you have sonar 8.5, if you make an audio groove clip out of your bass, then you can put in key markers to tell it when to chnage: at 2.00 mins or so in this audiosnap vid.

Sorry Seeking, I'm a Cubase man, so Sonar is lost on me.
    I'm still thinking of putting up a midi file or 2 on my website but I'm not that sure when I'll get time to do it. I'll have a look at your clip later.

Thanks for the thanks - just quickly sharing a few ideas really.

Last October I wiped out big time on my mountain bike and smashed a load of ribs up, so I decided to go through every video on RMX & the manual and work through it all. I'm no expert by any means - it's just that a lot of it is still fresh in my mind. I'm doing Omni & Trilian now although the bike is calling again.

I'd recommend spending time with the manual, videos and the tips on this site, but I wouldn't recommend finding the time to do it by smashing yourself up
    Neil B

Hey Neal, some great creative ideas , thanks. Of course, I didn't watch any videos because I was too busy recording my new groove but I have set aside today to do so.

Best of luck with your sermons; I have been to the main church in SOT (St Peters) a few times for family events like Christenings and baptisms as my wifes family come from the Potteries.

Seeking, I am a sonar 8.5 user and I am intrugued at your suggestion and will look into it.

Thanks for your help

Okay, so I tried pitch shifting in Sonar 8.5 and it doesn't work with RMX because Stylus RMX doesn't have midi patterns. Unless someone knows different?

Confused!
    You say in your intial post that you drag and drop the midi patterns into your sequencer (Sonar) and also that you've looked at the midi loops and they all start with "C".
    Tell me what you've done & I'll see if I can help.

BTW - your wife is SO lucky to have left Stoke - our escape committee is still working on new ideas
    Neil B

Go Back to forum