• Register
  • Help

Topic: Cubase/Play problems, any advice?

Share/Bookmark

Cubase/Play problems, any advice?

OK, I'm really trying to like Play. I love SD2. SOunds incredible, Even posted a thread just to say that. So I figured that I would finally pull my EWQLSO Platinum Plus off the shelf after looking at it for over a year and install it. I immediately loved the fact that it seemed to be a bit more playable, sounded great and I love the Master KS programs. So I spend hours and hours building a new Template for using Play as my default sample player. I saved my Template and then restarted Cubase 4.52. Loaded the Template which consists of 3 Play instances. Only the 3rd play instance loaded it's patches. The other two are just empty! WTF?

So then I bother to reload them one instrument at a time and then actially save them each as a multis in Play. I restart Cubase and open up the Template and it's the same damn thing. Only the third instance opens with instruments loaded. Being the eternal optimist, I decide to load the multi presets that I had saved last time thinking, "If this is what I have to do to load a template, I guess it's not the end of the world.". So I click the drop-down menu, choose "Load Preset" and then pick one of my presets like "Play Basic Strings" that I just built and saved. Well first of all, by double-clicking the saved entry, the window just disappears. Nothing is loading. Then I try it again and this time I single-click and hit enter. Same thing happens. Then I repeat a third time and single-click and single-click and single click and singl.........oh wait, I think it's starting to load!!! Whoopy F**k*ng Doo! What a PITA.

SO I repeat my now known method for loading Play multis. I get the whole project loaded. I then load my video and dialogue tracks. I immediately save the project in hopes that when saved as a project, not a Template, perhaps Play will load when re opened. I start to play around a bit, noodling ideas for about two minutes with a string patch. Poof! Cubase 4 disappears off the screen. Vanished into thin air. I check in the "Task Manager" processes tab. It shows Cubase as active but it's no where to be found.

So I reboot Windows, reopen Cubase, and load the saved "Project". This time when the project loads, all three instances of Play are empty.

Any ideas on any of these issues? I have been running Kontakt for Platinum XP, RA, Colossus, Choirs, and SD1 for years now with NO issues what-so-ever. I do LOVE SD2 and therefore want/need to use PLAY but wtf?! It's just not realistic to use it under these circumstances.

As mentioned earlier, I am running Cubase 4.52 under Windows XP32 SP3. I have four gigs of ram with a 3 gig switch enabled. Sound card in a MOTU 2408 MKIII.

Re: Cubase/Play problems, any advice?

Hi Eric,
    I am on Cubase and I use to have the same problem. It seems to be a ram problem though. The 3gb switch helped me to avoid it sometimes.

Nothing you can do except to get a 64 bits machine with plenty of ram.

My advice:
    Before closing the Cubase project, save every PLAY instance (save instrument option saves the full template). So in case PLAY samples don't load when you open your Cubase project, you can recall them manually. Just load .ewi and tha's all.

I hope this helps.

Best,

Tari
    Eduardo Tarilonte |Sample Library Developer
    SampleLibraries |MyWeb

Thanks Tari. I have been heading towards the 64 bit thing for a while anyway. I guess this is just another push in that direction. I will say that I hadnt suffered any problems with Play as I was auditioning sounds but once I had a Template and my ram usage was about 2.1GB, that's when all this started happening. Guess I'll go back to my K3 Template and get back to work. Thanks again.

Don't forget that you don't need to have a 64 bit machine to utilize way more RAM than that in Play in Cubase. Other things to consider are the 3 GB switch. While it's been a fix for many, it certainly has not been for everyone, and in some instances caused additional problems. Another factor is your platform. Under similar conditions I have found multiple instances etc. (as you described) of Play to be a bit more stable on a Mac than on a 32 bit PC. An exception might be that Play still isn't official released for Snow Leopard and a few glitches can still occur if one moves forward from Leopard. Finally, it wasn't until version 5.1.1, that Cubase and WordBuilder/Symphonic Choirs would work together (works fine in version 4 of Cubase). So my point is, a 64 bit system doesn't necessarily mean there won't be any more problems, and one doesn't need 64 bit to use more than 4 GB RAM in Play in Cubase........playz
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

Playz,

Could you please explain how I can utilize more ram in my current setup. As I said, I'm running Cubase 4.52 in Windows XP 32 SP3 with 4 gigs of ram installed and the 3 gig switch activated. I do indeed have two more slots for ram and I could install two more chips for a total of 8 gigs which I plan to do. I just didnt think it would make a difference for my current setup. Thanks,

E

Hi Eric,
    There have been a lot of posts on the subject of RAM usage beyond the amount allowed/used by the system at the forum, so you may wish to investigate further there for information that applies to your system. I am on a Mac, and was referring to a 32 bit Mac system in my post above, but should have made that clearer. I'm not entirely sure how Play uses RAM with your setup, but here's some info from the EW FAQ section that I bookmarked re. the use of extra RAM (>4 GB) on a 32 bit Mac.

"If you are using PLAY as a plugin inside a sequencer host on Mac, then you are already accessing RAM outside the host.

While using any plugin in a 32 bit host on Mac, we are still limited to the host's addressable space of 3-4 Gb. However with PLAY we use a 64 bit daemon that loads samples outside of the host's address space. This daemon loads the prime buffer (the portion of the sample that's loaded into ram, not the portions that are streamed directly from the hard drive) of each instrument loaded. However, there are still parts of the instrument that are being loaded in the host's 32 bit address space, such as effect settings, articulations being used, and so on. This 64 bit daemon process is always running in the background when you instantiate PLAY, so there is no need for the user to do anything other than load instruments as normal."

EW also explained that "However with PLAY we use a 64 bit daemon that loads samples outside of the host's address space" meant that if I am using a 32 bit o/s that normally can access only ca 4 GB RAM, Play can access way more than RAM than that due to the way it works....so the more RAM the better. Doug Rogers has discussed this in detail on their forum, but I can't seem to find the thread I'm recalling. Hope that helps get you started, but I do suggest that you post a question re your PC and Play at their forum..................playz
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

Go Back to forum