• Register
  • Help

Topic: Crackling, Popping noises with Garritan Samples

Share/Bookmark

Crackling, Popping noises with Garritan Samples

Hi,

This is my current set up.
    1. HP Desktop Computer Quad Core, 8 Gigabytes, Nvidia Video Card 9600GT, 64-Bit Windows Vista Operating System, Dual Screen Monitors

2. M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R and E-MU 1212M PCI Audio Interface

3. SONAR 7.02 Producer Edition and Finale 2009

Problem:
    During recording and playback with Sonar 7.02 PE, Garritan Samples often click and pop. The other libraries such as East West's Play Engine or VSL is working perfectly fine, but it sounds as if the Garritan Samples from both the Aria Engine and also the Kontakt 2 engine often clicks. I tried increasing the Buffer Size to 512 and it still clicks.

The odd thing is that all the woodwinds, bass drum, and harps has a tendency to click and pop a lot.

I tried different audio streams such as EMU ASIO, M-AUDIO ASIO 2.0, ASIO4ALL, and WDM. Re-installed SONAR, GPO04, and the Kontakt 2 version and problem still not solved. I opened up the ARIA player standalone and it sounds pristine and clear. I assume there could be problems with the host SONAR.

Does this mean I have to upgrade to Sonar 8.5 or this could be other issues?

PS: The Shanghai Ballet wants a clean MIDI mock-up for rehearsals immediately and there is a big time constraint. There are possibilities of using some parts of GPO during the performance.

Your reply would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Crackling, Popping noises with Garritan Samples

I am also on 7.02PE and I have experienced small cracks and pops while plating MIDI occasionally. When I bounce to audio there are no issues, and I think it's my firewire controller (a Ricoh) causing most of the trouble.

As a workaround for the time being, are the crackles and pops present in the bounced audio or if you freeze the VSTs? Perhaps you can use audio tracks of the MIDI and rapidly unfreeze/refreeze when you need to make changes. Aria likes Fast Bounce enabled and Kontakt does not, if memory serves.

For more directed support, an email to support@garritan.com would probably be the best route.

Best,
    Reegs

Quote Originally Posted by Reegs View Post
    I am also on 7.02PE and I have experienced small cracks and pops while plating MIDI occasionally. When I bounce to audio there are no issues, and I think it's my firewire controller (a Ricoh) causing most of the trouble.

As a workaround for the time being, are the crackles and pops present in the bounced audio or if you freeze the VSTs? Perhaps you can use audio tracks of the MIDI and rapidly unfreeze/refreeze when you need to make changes. Aria likes Fast Bounce enabled and Kontakt does not, if memory serves.

For more directed support, an email to support@garritan.com would probably be the best route.

Best,
    Reegs
    Thanks for your reply.

There are definitely crackles and popping noises when I bounced the audio. The frequency of these impurities are similar to playback and recording. When I enable Fast bounce, crackling noises are still heard. It sounds as if whenever the Modern Oboe or Flute KS play a long legato, the sample of the key of C or E for example often clip or as if it sounds interrupted. Whenever the sample of the bass drum plays, there's always a very clear clicking sound in the end.

I forgot to add that I have a M-Audio Axiom 61 MIDI controller keyboard.

I tried everything from disabling many background programs before running SONAR to defrag the hard drive. I also disabled Wireless adapters.

The perplexing thing is that the frequency of the noises varies on projects. In one project the clicking sounds occurs much less and others very often. Totally confused.

Best Regards,

David

I've noticed that with the Kontakt version of GPO that I get pops with Muli-processor enabled in the Audio options. Also, the 1212M is not the lowest latency card with the 64-bit drivers. Try raising the buffer size higher.

Jim

With Kontakt you should have Multiprocessor enabled in Sonar and disabled in Kontakt. If you have it enabled in both applications, they will just trip over each other, when they try to schedule the CPU cores.

If you activate "OFFLINE (BOUNCE) MODE" in Kontakt's Engine tab before you bounce, you can - in my experience - bounce as fast as you like.

Nickie,

That's how I had it set on my computer but Kontakt still kept on popping. I had to disable it in both. It's been fine since.

Jim

I was reading some of the Finale manual today and it suggests that popping noises can come from too many simultaneous note-on commands. The suggested work around for Finale was to stagger the note-on commands by minute amounts so they didn't try to happen simultaneously. According to their manual, they have a function that provides that in their playback if one chooses to turn it on.

Perhaps, you could nudge some of the note-ons in Sonar to do a similar effect. After all, no human group has exact simultaneous note-ons when they play.

Just a thought.

Go Back to forum