• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Sonivox Broadway BigBand now dongle-free!!!

Share/Bookmark

Sonivox Broadway BigBand now dongle-free!!!

How cool is this!!! The company updated their big band product for Kontakt Player 4 and at the same time dongle got removed. So I assume it uses Native Instrument challenge-response now. This is probably the best news ever. Well, maybe there are some dongle-lovers too, but I would never buy a product with a dongle and I'm quite happy this product became available dongle-free, since I really like the sound of this library.

Now it's just about collecting the huge amount of money... although I added the product to the cart for fun and it calculated some $250 discount! Maybe it's some NAMM-offer, no idea... but one day!

Yay!
    Film Composer - www.juhanalehtiniemi.com
    My latest project: Our first indie pop -single, produced in Ableton Live, available also on iTunes and Amazon
    Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz

Re: Sonivox Broadway BigBand now dongle-free!!!

Where did you see that ? I have the BBB and I want this update ! Right now !!
    Mathieu Laprise
    www.studiosonomax.com

prepare yourself for a hefty 300$ crossgrade fee.
    Its a shame that they dare to charge that much for what is basically a giant fix for their initial mistake to built the original version for the dreaded Halion platform.
    Something like 99$ to cover for the shipping and disk cost would have been much more acceptable IMO.

It's on their website.

But they did also reprogram the patches for Kontakt and there's no need for the awkward cabling system anymore. I'm sure it was a lot of work.
    My latest project: Our first indie pop -single, produced in Ableton Live, available also on iTunes and Amazon
    Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Scheffler View Post
    prepare yourself for a hefty 300$ crossgrade fee.
    Its a shame that they dare to charge that much for what is basically a giant fix for their initial mistake to built the original version for the dreaded Halion platform.
    Something like 99$ to cover for the shipping and disk cost would have been much more acceptable IMO.
    Yes, you're right ...
    Mathieu Laprise
    www.studiosonomax.com

I had a chance to get an extensive demo of this library at namm, it was my first time hearing it and I was impressed.

I liked the Kontakt format, so that was a great thing.

I was surprised at the small details in programming, especially on the drums where the mod wheel changes the looseness/tightness of some of the drum samples.

good library.
    SoundsAndGear.com - music production news, reviews, sounds, software, tutorials, and videos.

Maschine Tutorials - exclusive videos, tips and instructions for Native Instruments Maschine.

The dongle and Halion player were big problems with this library. But, in spite of the fact that the demos sound terrific, it is still WAY over priced for what you are getting and (as I have pointed out in previous posts) the choice of instruments is very limited for anyone seriously composing for Broadway in this day and age. Though I don't feel that JABB & GPO are quite in the same league, in terms of sample quality, together they make a better choice for a pit orchestra (strings, double reeds, etc. -- Still no banjo, though.)

Also, I have had issues with the Kontakt 4 player. It seems to be a resource hog (in Win XP with 2GB RAM) and does not uninstall gracefully. That makes this a big expense for me, over and above the cost of the library.

I wish that people who actually wrote or orchestrated for Broadway had created a sample library -- or that they were at least consulted when they were in the planning stages. I think the end result would be a lot more usefull.

Allegro Data Solutions

Yes, it is really expensive... some competition would indeed be good and might bring the price down. I wish Audiobro (the creator of LASS) would produce a library like this with the same LASS-functionality and -attitude. I would probably be awesome.
    Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz

OT: A dongle, used in EW Play, Digidesign and others, is truly the only way to put forward a rock solid anti-piracy protection. Piracy hurts – trust me on this. The dongle should be applauded for blocking the scum of the earth from stealing from developers and you - the legitimate user!
    Bela D Media | www.BelaDMedia.com

I know this will be a big subject and will maybe start a long discussion, but...

I believe you on this, but on the other hand, for the people that don't steal but actually pay for quality software instruments, I think it's really annoying. The way I see it, it's this fight between you (developers) and the ones who use illegal software. And for the outsiders (legal users and actually the only ones who pay money to the developers), it seems just very like some extra luggage. It's a USB-stick that does nothing, but you have to have it plugged in every time you use a software. It just seems so pointless. Not even illegal users don't have to use it, since they have a cracked version. At the end it's only the legal users and at that point it doesn't serve its purpose anymore.

It seems that all the copy protections are eventually cracked - even the hardware-ones. And what a copy protection eventually does is cause costs to the developer, performance loss for software and trouble for the legal user. And when the cracked version is out, it causes absolutely no worries at all for the illegal user.

May it be necessary to prevent significant economical losses, I still congratulate the companies who still dare to publish product without dongles. I personally wouldn't buy a product with a dongle, no matter how good the product might be. That's why I salute Sonivox - they had a dongle on an awesome and expensive product and they still took it away.

But having said this, I understand it's easy for me to say this not being a developer and not losing money because of piracy. So... I believe you.
    Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast