• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Spectrasonics ditching XP?

Share/Bookmark

Spectrasonics ditching XP?

EDIT: As Eric points out below, the issue is now a non-issue - Spectrasonics are NOT ditching XP (anytime soon anyway).

Hello everyone - Just signed up although I've been reading the board for a while. (thanks to all the helpful posters around here!)

I just read the Spectrasonics news release (from NAMM 2010) and at the end it says in the requirements for the new Omni and Trilian 1.2 updates (due in Feb) that Vista is required.

Personally - i.e for me - this will be a disaster... well, a crying shame anyway. I'm hoping they aren't going to leave behind those of us still on XP and that this is mistake.

ruzz
    Last edited by ruzz; 01-19-2010 at 06:27 AM. Reason: Answered by Eric Persing

Re: Spectrasonics ditching XP?

Well from a company perspective I can understand dropping WinXP support - you can't continue with it forever and MS drop (extended extended) support this year too, so you can't blame Spectrasonics for that.

That said, as Vista and XP are pretty much compatible for most applications you should be ok so the s/w will likely work, although the 64bit versions could well be different. I guess XP just won't be an officially supported platform anymore.

Tim

I think it's way too soon to drop support for Windows XP.
    My guess is that at least 60% of Windows users still use XP. Maybe even more.
    Q6600 Quad Core 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, E-MU 1616m audio interface, Cubase Studio 4.1.2, Windows XP Pro sp.3, Omnisphere, Atmosphere, Addictive Drums, Amplitube 2 + Jimi Hendrix, Monstrous

Quote Originally Posted by yairhol View Post
    I think it's way too soon to drop support for Windows XP.
    My guess is that at least 60% of Windows users still use XP. Maybe even more.
    I agree completely. Way too soon do ditch XP. Vista is crap, even Microsoft knows that.

Quote Originally Posted by ruzz View Post
    I'm hoping they aren't going to leave behind those of us still on XP and that this is mistake.
    Microsoft will be leaving you behind in 2010 and the OS is coming up on 10 years old...I mean cmon....

However - you are most likely reading more into this than is required. What Spectra is most likely saying is that the upcoming updates will only be "supported" as in - you call the Spectra crew for help as long as you are running Vista as a minimum...however I suspect it will install and run just fine on XP - just no "official" support etc.

I know guys who are running Spectra stuff on Win2000 - still the best OS Microsoft ever made - and that certainly isn't "supported"....

Now if the installer stops in screen and tells you that you are installing to an "unsupported" OS - then I stand corrected. That definitely means no dice in that case.

Cheers!

VP

What saddens me about this is that it was tucked away in the very last paragraph of the statement. I have massive respect for Eric & the team but this is slightly worrying.
    So, okay we upgrade to Visat (no chance) or Windows 7 (possibly) but I have a feeling that there will be issues with other parts of my music rig that won't be compatible with Vista or 7. I need to delve into this.

As much as I like the new features offered in the statement, it may be that I would have to draw a line under future upgrades. And then--- what about future Stylus releases?

Yeah, a bit worrying.
    I'm sure that Eric will respond in due course.
    Neil B
    Pentium 4 PC Windows XP Home 32 bit 3.6 Ghz, Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian, Kontakt 3, GPO 3, EWQLSC, Scope Pulsar II, Cubase 4.5

Red face Re: Spectrasonics ditching XP?

Hmmmm..... Gosh, yeah, I'm one of those guys who's pretty much all XP.

I don't know when I'll be able to go to 7.

I'm going to be skipping the vista thing all together.

But just getting funding together is going to take forever to get to 7 for me...... and then I have no I dea what I'm going to do about all the updates. I'll be pretty much toast.

I just have to work within XP and hope that things continue to work with it. I think Trilian and Omni will work within XP with enough Horsepower.

No worries guys....that was just some wording that could have been better in the PR.

We are encouraging and recommending that our Windows users make the move to Windows 7 and 64bit hosts, as this offers many benefits for our instruments.

The new updates will still work on XP though.

The alarms that are being sounded are not warranted.

We'll reword the next press info on these updates to say "XP and higher" :-)

Whew.....thanks for the clarification, Eric, I nearly had a hernia here!

Cheers from Oz,

Mauri.
    Cubase 7.5 | Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.24GHz | Win7 Pro x64 SP1 dual boot on 2 x Crucial m4 SSDs + 2 x Crucial m4 SSDs for samples and project files | ASUS P5E | 8 GB RAM | Echo Layla 3G | ASUS HD 6570 | Vox Tonelab SE | Mackie HD624 MKII | UAD2 Solo x 2 | 2 x BenQ GL2450 monitors...and lots of software...

We're not worthy
    Thanks Eric
    Neil B
    Pentium 4 PC Windows XP Home 32 bit 3.6 Ghz, Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian, Kontakt 3, GPO 3, EWQLSC, Scope Pulsar II, Cubase 4.5

Go Back to forum