• Register
  • Help

Topic: Electric Rock Guitar Demo - Sound Realistic?

Share/Bookmark

Electric Rock Guitar Demo - Sound Realistic?

Hello,

I put together a quick demo tonight just to get some opinions on the sound. It\'s a very simple demo but does represent what kind of hard rock sound I am currently able to achieve using 100% GigaStudio. When listening to the demo keep in mind the following:

1) No external effects were used. The only effects used are a Aux chorus and Aux reverb.

2) The sound was captured \"live\" as an audio file. No post mixing was done. The drums and bass sound almost totally different when going through a final mix with compression added.

3) The mp3 file is about 1 minute long. It was encypted at a low rate to keep the file size down to under 1 meg. (800k)

4) It sounds better...loud!
    http://iproducts.com/toolasize.mp3

Re: Electric Rock Guitar Demo - Sound Realistic?

Not bad for samples on the guitar...still being a guitar player I know it doesn\'t sound \"right\". Especially he first section...too much static \"chug\" To be honest its better than most attempts I here with \"playable\" guitar samples.

I really suggest that if you are going to go for a \"band\" sound that you hire live players or atleast a live player for the guitar, after you use the samples to construct the song...sor tof the same with all the orchestral guys out here that hire live players to \"liven up\" the mix

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

Yes. I think it sounds realistic. Of course, if you hired a human it might sound better, but then again, it might not.

That\'s the whole point isn\'t it? Samples aren\'t going to give you the greatest player in the world but they should give you something better than a crappy player.

As (the beginning of) an intro to maybe someone coming onstage or the early build-up to some movie action, it\'s totally convincing. It isn\'t a matter of whether it could have been better or not but whether it \'could\' have been \'played\' (or really, whether it just sounds good or not). And this \'could\' have been someone playing. Also, this \'clean\' sampled sound is now so much part of the landscape that I\'m sure that guitarists are now being asked to imitate it (although you might not want to be around a guitarist who\'s just been asked to imitate a \'clean\' sampled sound).

KingIdiot - Overall I will take this as a positive comment. I agree about the \"chug\". In a final mix down I can reduce that dramatically. Again, all of these sounds are available in my performance setup so I can start just \"jammin\" anytime I feel like it. In the same performance setup I have acoustic and electric guitar chords that I can \"strum\" with. I will upload another demo using those structures as well.

\"I really suggest that if you are going to go for a \"band\" sound that you hire live players or at least a live player for the guitar, after you use the samples to construct the song...\"

Yes, I have thought about that. My short term goal is to produce some music for uploading on some of the mp3 sites to try to generate some income and exposure. I am primarily a vocalist, so this whole band in a cpu thing is pretty wild. Long term goal would be to hire \"real\" players if things start to get interesting.

Z6 - Thank you for your comments! I agree about the samples giving you a good sound right out of the box. As long as the sound could \"fool\" your typical pop rock listener I am happy. And I think I am at the point where the average listener wouldn\'t think it was \"sampled\" instruments.

\"As (the beginning of) an intro to maybe someone coming onstage or the early build-up to some movie action...\"

Cool! This bit was influenced by the band \"Tool\". It does sound like an intro to a action movie or something.

(Z6)- \"(although you might not want to be around a guitarist who\'s just been asked to imitate a \'clean\' sampled sound).\"

Now that IS an amusing thought! Asking someone to emulate a sample!

You know.. I think my problem is that I\'m comparing it to TOOL so I hear that volume knob turned down slightly distorted not so heavily pick raked chug on the beginning of the verse...

I\'m not the best choice to set up a guage of realism...since I\'ll probably always find samples of electric gutiars non-realistic....

then again....Scarbee still blows me away with the slap bass demos....those sound real...

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

Go Back to forum