• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Steinway Pro lost hard drive

Steinway Pro lost hard drive

I installed Steinway pro on Win XP, and put the samples on a separate internal hard drive ('G' drive). That hard drive (or the mobo slot, not sure which) failed, so for now it is just unplugged it in the computer's rack. Now when I try to load the sounds in the player, there are errors, because the samples (and path to them) are no longer there. So the big question is, what's the easiest/best way to get back up running with the package?
    FYI I've mostly been using the samples from inside Finale 2009, with the Steinway player.

Is there a way to put the samples on a network path (I have a raid file server and would like to put them there) without re-installing the whole package?

Kind Regards,

Re: Steinway Pro lost hard drive

Hi Michael,
    you said you don't want to have to re-install the whole package,,,
    but the samples are on your bad hard drive, and that is the bulk of the Steinway, so you will have to install them again. If the hard drive was not bad, and all you wanted to do was move the samples you could choose "move", regardless, manipulating where the samples are is easy with the "Steinway Sample Manager"

I know you are on a Windows machine, but this is from my Mac, it shows the icon you want to look for next to Steinway Sample Manager.

This "Steinway Sample Manager" should be located in your Steinway folder where you have the Steinway software (not samples) installed. You can choose un-install, then install the perspectives (Pro Version) to the location of your choice.

Dan, thanks for the suggestion. I found the sample manager and ran it. It immediately gave an error dialogue:

Installation corrupted (Classic)
    one or more folder is missing.
    Status will be set to NotInstalled. You will have to delete the files manually.
    If you have moved the files manually, please select the locate option.

From this error, it sounds as if it checked for the samples and couldn't find them, which might be OK. Setting status to NotInstalled doesn't mean anything to me, I don't know why it is telling me that.

Saying 'you will have to delete the files manually" is not at all helpful, as I don't know what files it is refering to!

More help please ;^)

Just a followup, after going ahead with the error dialogue (one for each of 'Lid', player, stage, etc) The install dialogue appeared. I asked it to use a network folder to do the install, and it gave the error

\\tera\t\....(my folder name) is not accessible.

Is there a restriction that we cannot install the samples on a network drive?

Kind Regards,

I'm sorry but I don't know the answers to your questions.
    Jeff Hurchalla is going to have to help you further...
    I will email him and ask him to come here and help you.

Who is Jeff? Is his contact info available? Is this something Garritan could support, since it seems to be something not covered by the manual or FAQ, nor known at the Forum?

Best Regards,

Hi Michael,
    Jeff Hurchalla is Gary Garritan's right hand man

Jeff is the one that did all the editing and a lot of the design of the Garritan Steinway.

Click on this link and send him a (PM) personal message.

He is a great guy!

Hi Dan,

I sent Jeff a PM using the link you provided. So far no reponse. Is there a way to contact him or Garritan? So far it's been a while since I tried the forum with no luck.

Kind Regards,

Hi Michael,
    he should be here to help you get sorted out shortly

Hi Micheal,
    if you want to install the samples on your network drive, you will have to map this drive then select the mapped drive from Sample Manager.
    Pascal Maheux, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
    Montréal. http://www.plogue.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast