• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Help needed with Old Giga

Share/Bookmark

Help needed with Old Giga

My very old computer (running Microsoft ME as its OS - don't laugh!) running Giga, died last night. The only thing on this computer was a very old version of Giga (maybe 2.0), but I kept it around because I still liked some of the sounds and samples. As luck would have it, a few of the projects that I'm in the middle of utilize samples from this computer, and time is of the essence in getting up and running again.

The main hard drive has clearly died, but the "D" drive with all my samples is still good. I'd like to continue to use these samples, preferably through Giga.

I was thinking the quickest thing for me to do would be to run to Staples, pick up a Dell tower or something, shove my old "D" drive with all my samples in the new Dell, load in a version of Giga, and I'm good to go.

Possible? Stupid idea? Better solution that I can do quickly? What's the newest OS that still runs old Giga?

John

P.S. I know I could just buy a new boot drive for my old computer, but I'm a Mac guy, not a PC guy, so I don't know how to install a newer OS, etc., etc., on a new drive, and (as always) am under a time crunch, and need the fastest solution possible.

Re: Help needed with Old Giga

if your sample library is intact, the FASTEST way will be to pull the drive, put it into an enclosure, then access the library from any sample player that will read .gig -- Kontakt2 and up on the mac or look into G-player.

As a mac user, you will probably need to copy all the files from the enclosure drive to a mac drive, since it is unlikely a NTFS or FAT32 will actually work in a production environment (write). But you can probably boot it up and copy files.

i am but a hard drive crash away from being in your situation as well...

Word is the new update to Structure from Avid/Air will also read .gig - but I do not know how much of a gig file it will read, or what is lost in the import -- don't know if it is shipping yet.

I had to deal with this last month, and tascam graciously got me a new auth, but it took a day or 2 to get it sorted out. WHILE I WAS WAITING, I simply loaded a K2 instance and opened .gig files.

It is really time for all of us to have a plan B in case our GS app dies, and it will, it's just a matter of when.

I hear that MAC 5 is the way to go with playing .gig files on a MAC.

After doing some research (and realizing how inept I'd probably be trying to get a new PC to work with Giga, the cards, figuring the jumpers, finding a version of Giga that would happily work with a new computer, etc., etc.), I'm leaning towards a plan "B"..

I think I'm going to pull my data drive (which still works, and has all my Giga samples) from the PC with the bad boot drive, putting this data drive in an enclosure (with firewire, probably), and then using MOTUs Mach 5 on one of my Macs to import and read the samples. Mach 5 seems to have a great reputation, and the online ads specifically refer to being able to play and use GIGA samples.

Ordered Mach 5 and a box for the internal drive today. Fingers crossed, while my deadlines creep closer.....

;-)

John

John,

I wasn't going to trash Mach5 -- but I should mention that if you are running ProTools, there are mixed results for the rtas version. I am a Mach5 owner, and I no longer use it, since PT8. Granted, I have not followed the latest updates and they may have fixed what was broke, but by then the damage was done. MOTU lost me.

I hope you have better luck.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyroberts View Post
    John,

I wasn't going to trash Mach5 -- but I should mention that if you are running ProTools, there are mixed results for the rtas version. I am a Mach5 owner, and I no longer use it, since PT8. Granted, I have not followed the latest updates and they may have fixed what was broke, but by then the damage was done. MOTU lost me.

I hope you have better luck.
    Thanks, Jeremy. I have PT (and use it often), but would probably use Mach5 with DP7. I've been using DP forever (since well before it was even "Digital" performer), and probably use it at least 6 hours a day. I'm assuming/guessing/hoping/praying that since they're both MOTU products, I may be ok.

JDK,

The easiest thing is to get the G-Player
    http://www.soundlib.com/gplayer/

With this AU plugin you will be able to open GIGA files natively, without the need to convert your instruments.
    It's cheap and does the job. You can also try a demo of this plugin.

Do you have everything that's on your D drive backed up in multiple places? The only thing more challenging than getting a duplicate ME OS running would be quickly replacing those old libraries. If you haven't already done this I would suggest cloning the D drive and using only the duplicate drive with Kontakt, Mach 5 etc. Any newer OS or sample playback app will write back to your drive, even if just TEMP files. You don't want to add an unuseable sample drive to your worries!

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewW View Post
    JDK,

The easiest thing is to get the G-Player
    http://www.soundlib.com/gplayer/

With this AU plugin you will be able to open GIGA files natively, without the need to convert your instruments.
    It's cheap and does the job. You can also try a demo of this plugin.
    Well, nuts! ;-) Wish I'd known about this earlier. I've bought (and installed) Mach5, and am trying to get it up and running. So far, it's recognizing most of the samples.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by TechEverlasting View Post
    Do you have everything that's on your D drive backed up in multiple places? The only thing more challenging than getting a duplicate ME OS running would be quickly replacing those old libraries. If you haven't already done this I would suggest cloning the D drive and using only the duplicate drive with Kontakt, Mach 5 etc. Any newer OS or sample playback app will write back to your drive, even if just TEMP files. You don't want to add an unuseable sample drive to your worries!
    I was able to pull the drive out from the bad PC, put it in a enclosure, and now have most of it backed up on one of my Macs. I do still have the CDs and DVDs from the libraries I bought, so if worse came to worse...

Thanks!

Go Back to forum