• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Legacy

Share/Bookmark

The Legacy

These are the first two movements of the Symphonic Poem that will acoompany the 2nd book of the Reach Beyond Tomorrow trilogy. These two movements (one has been posted earlier as Chaos Dreams) are based on a devised 2 octave scale. The attempt in composing has been made to destroy or blur the concept of the barline. Tonal the harmonies are created from the 2 octave scale. I prefer to look more at the linear quality of a music line as opposed to the vertical. These will be a tough listen, but, I hope, worthwhile. I am trying to piant the mood of desperation and defeat.

Movement I: Unknown Event

Movement II: Lacrimosa

I am terrible at rendering (ask my brother!) I used the output as it came out of Finale 2010 with the Garritan Ambience set at dry:3.5, wet: -3.4 in the Concert Hall 1 setting. The Humanization (HP) is set to 21st century. Include a lot of hairpins and dynamics.

I do have Sonar 7, but am too lazy to spend the time it takes to render preferring to spend the time on composition.

Best Regards,
    Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: The Legacy

Hi Bill,

This is really nice stuff ... I liked these pieces a lot.

I think the renderings were pretty good too. I hear what you are saying about spending the time composing vs mixing ... I spend way too much time in the mixing stage, but it's really a personal choice in the end. But I don't think your presentation of these pieces has suffered any from not spending more time with the mix.

If there was one thing that stood out to me mixing-wise, it would be the 1:10 Bb drone in Lacrimosa ... that did sound static because of the length of the single-pitched line. Possibly adding and removing various instruments to the line (over time) would make it seem less static, but that's a minor issue and just one way to skin the cat.

I have to tell you Bill, I've been intrigued with your scale since you posted "Chaos Dreams" and have been working on a jazz big-band arrangement using this scale, along with your "measureless" phrasing structure. It's been a lot of fun working with these "specs"!

Once again, really great music Bill.

Regards,

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
    Hi Bill,

If there was one thing that stood out to me mixing-wise, it would be the 1:10 Bb drone in Lacrimosa ...

That note is some kind of Oops - I am trying to locate the cause and will repost the piece when it is gone. Somehow the Bassoon got bassooooooooooned...

I have to tell you Bill, I've been intrigued with your scale since you posted "Chaos Dreams" and have been working on a jazz big-band arrangement using this scale, along with your "measureless" phrasing structure. It's been a lot of fun working with these "specs"!

Once again, really great music Bill.

Regards,

Frank
    I would love to hear what you have come up with. Post it please. It is a unique scale.

best regards,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Ok, I found and fixed the problem with the Lacrimosa. It was caused by the program I used to convert the wave to an mp3. The link should sound much better now.

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Bump - because I am persnickity!

Challenge #10 Winner

OK, So I am ina BUMPING mood.

Challenge #10 Winner

Go Back to forum