• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO 4 Percussion drum rolls very quiet

GPO 4 Percussion drum rolls very quiet

To whom it may concern,
    I just purchased GPO 4 and I noticed that in the Basic Orchestral Percussion, the drum roll on A#3 and the snare roll on C#4 are very quiet relative to the rest of the percussion samples. I don't know why that is and I don't know how to fix it. I'd hate to reinstall for just that. Any ideas? Also, I notice that some but not all of the instruments I loaded into the Aria player as a VST instance in Sonar 8.5 Producer Edition end up having their volume levels severely reduced or even sent to zero when play stops unless I uncheck the box marked "zero controllers when play stops." Why would some but not all of those instruments be altered by that command? Does it have to do with the slots they're in? Again, unchecking the box solved the problem. But why was it there in the first place?

Re: GPO 4 Percussion drum rolls very quiet

These questions might be better placed in the "General Discussion" forum. Just sayin'.

Anyway, percussion rolls respond to CC1 information to control volume (same as winds and strings), so you just need to bump your mod wheel up for the volume to increase.

I don't have an answer for your second question. Sorry.
    Dan Powers

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Re: GPO 4 Percussion drum rolls very quiet

If the "zero controllers" is CHECKED, then all controllers, including CC1 and CC7, are zeroed. That is a feature in Sonar designed to prevent unwanted "inheritance" of controller data when restarting playback. It is a Sonar feature.

Since most sustaining instruments in Garritan Libraries use CC1 for dynamics, it follows that they will not sound or will be very faint if this feature is checked. This also applies to CC7, channel volume. The percussive instruments in Garritan libraries respond to velocity, so would be unaffected by the zerofication.

It is always wise to insert desired controller data at the beginning of each track, before any notes sound. that will avoid the zeroing and ensure that your sequence plays correctly without "inherited" CC data.

If you are new to Garritan libraries, it is a bit of a paradigm shift to realize that dynamics/timbre are managed via CC1 for sustaining instruments.

Jim W.
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Go Back to forum