• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Movin' On A Monday

Share/Bookmark

Movin' On A Monday

I thought some of you might like a little jazz. This is a piece I wrote on Monday and fleshed it out this week. It is NOT all JaBB. I will probably redo some of it to JaBB but the solos are real instruments. The Piano is the JaBB Jazz Steinway and the Bass (when not soloing) is JaBB upright #1. This rest is not JaBB but it is only a quartet.

Have a listen to:

Movin' On A Monday

RichR
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Re: Movin' On A Monday

Richard;
    Totally great and grooves galore!! This is so live sounding and accomplished, you certainly know your stuff! An enjoyable listen and thank you for sharing this, the bass, sax, piano all stood out and were well mixed.

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Hi Rich,

Well ... it was great hearing some straightaway jazz on this site ... excellent! Your head reminded me just a little of "Bye Bye Blackbird" ... nice changes; sounded like a really enjoyable progression to solo off of.

The alto solo after the bass solo was killer! ... was that you? Also, a couple of oddities hit me (but in a good way ): The piano, despite being an acoustic model, almost had a little dirt when you hit the block chords in the solo; they had a slightly EP/Rhodes-ish sound. It didn't detract at all though; it actually gave it a little grit. (BTW, once again, was that you on the piano solo? It was killer too! I know you are a reed man, but man, that was some great piano work there!)

Towards the end of the piece, at ~6:35, the alto started sounding almost a little synthy ... sounded like a few polyphonic moments and the bends became a bit exaggerated ... was that a live alto start-to-finish? Just curious.

I really enjoyed it. Wish I could add this to my download listening library, but it was a great listen nonetheless.

Do some more of this type of stuff Rich when time and the mood hits you ... it was very good.

Regards,

Frank

sd cisco,

Thanks for the comments. This was a fun piece to put together. Always something new to learn every time I engineer a piece.

Frank D,

Thanks for the comments too, they are always appreciated. AND I wish I could solo like that!

The solos were obtuse and only based on the chord progressions. You were right on with the synthy sound of the "header sax". I have uploaded a new version using the JaBB Tenor Sax 1 and made the bends a little more gentle. The piece has all JaBB on the back up instruments i.e. Piano (Jazz Steinway), Bass (Upright Bass 1 KS) and Sax (Tenor Sax 1). The exception is the drums which are RealDrums from Band-in-a-Box 2010. That is suppose to be Terry Clarke playing them. The solos are also Band-in-a-Box 2010 soloists. I used this session to help me in my engineering skills and my creative work with JaBB using CCs and mod wheel, aftertouch, and vibrato.

I hope it came off successfully.

RichR

Rich

Aaaah...a fine way to get a late start on a Sunday after staying up real late last night!

Hasn't BIAB come a long way in the recent past?

Then when you add those finishing touches in JABB it makes things that much better...I can see Wynton Kelly sitting at the piano there...

Only possible thing I might say is to bring up the bass solo a bit; it sounded a bit in the background, but that's it.

Snor
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Thanks for the comments Snor. It is nice to see that you liked the work. BiaB has done a lot to make more musical presentations. The Real Soloists do a nice job in getting the little bits balanced so that the solos don't sound so fragmented. The major work for me is getting the JaBB instruments to match the dynamics and EQing of the solo instruments so that it sounds like one group playing. Also, there was quite a bit of work in CCs, Aftertouch and ModWheel to get the JaBB tenor to sound more like I would expect my tenor playing to sound.

I have been struggling with the mix trying to get the balance listenable to all ears. Being an amatuer recording engineer with but one course in sound engineering under my belt, makes it difficult to produce the quality that I am really seeking.

In the PGMusic forum, the comments were (originally) that the soloists were too far in front of the group. This is my third mix attempting to balance the parts. I agree with you that the bass got down in the mix a little too far but the track's Db levels show it still 1 Db louder than its accompaniment instruments.

I appreciate the comments and am glad this was a good Sunday morning listen for you.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    Thanks for the comments Snor. It is nice to see that you liked the work. BiaB has done a lot to make more musical presentations. The Real Soloists do a nice job in getting the little bits balanced so that the solos don't sound so fragmented. The major work for me is getting the JaBB instruments to match the dynamics and EQing of the solo instruments so that it sounds like one group playing. Also, there was quite a bit of work in CCs, Aftertouch and ModWheel to get the JaBB tenor to sound more like I would expect my tenor playing to sound.

I have been struggling with the mix trying to get the balance listenable to all ears. Being an amatuer recording engineer with but one course in sound engineering under my belt, makes it difficult to produce the quality that I am really seeking.

In the PGMusic forum, the comments were (originally) that the soloists were too far in front of the group. This is my third mix attempting to balance the parts. I agree with you that the bass got down in the mix a little too far but the track's Db levels show it still 1 Db louder than its accompaniment instruments.

I appreciate the comments and am glad this was a good Sunday morning listen for you.
    I tip my hat to you!

The hardest thing for me has always been mixing with any semblance of musicality . I always left it up to the man/woman behind the glass to make it sound right; I had enough trouble just playing well.

I'll get there eventually--perhaps at a glacial pace--with you guys & gals around to inspire and instruct. On this forum and others is the music education I never had.

PS--I will not be at SNORCHAT today because of pressing NFL football obligations...wanna do RICHCHAT? The Browns aren't involved in any post-season action.

Snor
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir

I could richchat. What is involved?

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    I could richchat. What is involved?
    Well, if you do it the way I always do it, just get on chat at 4pm (it's now 1pm here; not sure if we are on the same time) and act goofy and obnoxious. Make fun of etLux if he shows up. That's all there is to it.

They'll cheer when they find out it's you and not me.
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir

Okie Dokey and give a cheer for the Colts on my behalf!

Rich

Rich

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast