• Register
  • Help

Topic: Canon of the Backward Maiden

Share/Bookmark

Canon of the Backward Maiden

This was a silly thought that occurred to me earlier today while I was wondering when this bandage could be removed from my hand. All will become clear in the end.

Canon of the Backward Maiden

Mp3 uses GPO Organ. Only about 2 minutes long.

Richard

Re: Canon of the Backward Maiden

Hey, thanks for the listen (I'm a sucker for organ music) I really enjoyed the Harmony of this piece and the way it seemed to create cresting (gentle) waves of tension. Thank you.

Richard,

Nice little organ work. I like the counterpoint and the use of the organ. Nicely done!

Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Hi Richard,

Such a pleasant piece; I really enjoyed it. The word 'maiden' really comes to mind as I listen. Nice job!

Regards,

Frank

A little background for those who may not be aware of the source of this little fantasy canon.

This canon-fantasy is based on "The Maiden's Prayer" by Thekla Baderczewska. Maid Thekla's theme appears at the end, in canon form, not Maid Thekla's original.

My edition of the Oxford Concise Dictionary of Music refers to this as the most tasteless music ever published, but it was one of the most popular pieces of all time. It was written by an 18 year old Polish girl, who died a few years later, possibly from terminal embarrassment. Composed in about 1856. I bought the sheet music about 1951 or so. It was quite popular for a long time. I remember being asked to play it in 1980 or so. It was dearly loved by elderly ladies, and if you could not play it for them with slobbering sentimentality, you simply could not play the piano. Since I made a decent amount of money playing sentimental schlock, I was pretty good with this piece.

I don't know what Maid Thekla was praying about, but it seemed to me that she needed a bit of help, herewith provided.

It has such a horrid reputation that I thought it might be interesting. So here is a link to my mp3, just uploaded tonight. I decree that my canon is an improvement on her work, and thank you guys for liking it too. It just seemed to me that you might enjoy comparing this little canon with the original, so here is the link. If anyone wants the original score, I can also provide that.

The Maiden's Prayer

Richard

Thank you for the explanation. Since I was not familiar with the original, it did not "become clear in the end" without that explanation. I agree with you that dear Thekla needed some help and you certainly provided it. (Perhaps that is what she was praying for.) Very interesting piece. (Yours, not the original.)

Pat

Go Back to forum