• Register
  • Help

Topic: playback volume to low

playback volume to low

Using Sibelius with Garritan Personal Orchestra Sibelius edition , the playback volume is to low, I raise it to a normal volume with the gain of the speaker amp, but then when I change to windows sounds or a CD if I forget to lower the volume the volume is ear braking loud. Powerful speakers need to be set at high volumes to sound at low volume. In the mixer, the master volume is set at “0 db” , after “0db” the graph is no longer green but begins to turn red, I imagine this means one should not go above “0db” to get clear sound.
    What then can I do to get a louder signal in playback?

Re: playback volume to low

Sounds like Modwheel needs to be raised. It will reset to zero unless otherwise told, which is great for pianissimo dynamics but not much else.

If you're on Sibelius 6.1, make sure that your score uses the Garritan Personal Orchestra playback configuration. For earlier versions of Sibelius insert modwheel data to the start of each staff by creating a text field above the staff and typing the the right code to insert modwheel data. (Offhand I believe it is "~CC1,64" but refer to the manual for exact syntax. CC#1 is modhweel; 64 is a middle of the road value).

Hope this helps,

Thank you so much, I got so excited when I received your message, I tried it out immediately, first I looked and looked for the exact syntax all over my Sibelius 5 handbook, all over my Garritan Orchestra Sibelius edition handbook and in the Sibelius reference, not being able to find anything I then tried with different syntax and diferent types of text imput possibilities, not hearing any difference I then moved the modulation wheels on my keyboard for a while, after 90 minutes strenuous work I resigned reluctantly to the low volume.
    If you could be a little more specific I would be very grateful, I am not very technical; I just like to try to compose music.

Thank you once again.

Hi, sorry, I had the syntax wrong. From the Sib 6 handbook (and I know it's in version 5 because it's also in 3)

Creating MIDI messages in Sibelius
    Because Sibelius reads almost all markings in your score and automatically turns them into appropriate
    MIDI messages when playing back ( 4.2 Interpretation of your score), you’ll generally
    only need to enter messages manually in Sibelius in very specific circumstances. These include
    changing the sound of a staff mid-way through a score, e.g. when, say, a clarinetist doubles on saxophone
    in the same piece, or if you need to use a different sound for different timbres on the same
    instrument, e.g. muted and unmuted. The clearest way to do this is to define a new word in the
    playback dictionary ( 4.9 Playback dictionary).
    However, you can also tell Sibelius to send any MIDI message you like at any point, by typing it in
    as text using the simple MIDI message commands described below.
    These MIDI messages can be appended to ordinary text and are hidden, so if you write 2nd time
    molto vibrato ~C1,90 in, say, a repeated section of your music, Sibelius will reset controller 1
    (modulation) to zero to silence the staff at the exact point where 2nd time molto vibrato appears
    on the printout. ~C1,90 is automatically hidden (and will disappear completely if View  Hidden
    Objects is switched off – so it’s a good idea to switch this on before working with MIDI messages).
    If you need to mute lots of staves, you can of course copy 2nd time molto vibrato ~C1,90 using
    Alt+click or -click to save you retyping, or you can add it to the word menu obtained when you
    right-click (Windows) or Control-click (Mac), and assign it a keyboard shortcut at the same time
    –  3.1Working with text.
    4. Playback & video
    When you import a MIDI file, you can choose to have MIDI messages in the file written into your
    score, in which case any control changes etc. will appear as if you’d typed them in yourself.

Go Back to forum