Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: RESURRECTION from Symphony #2-Mahler

Share/Bookmark

RESURRECTION from Symphony #2-Mahler

Written for Winds.

Gary

hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=8525106&q=hi

Re: RESURRECTION from Symphony #2-Mahler

I know you have done a good job, but Mahler's music has always sounded strange to me.
    There is no spoon.

You caught the mood of the extract from Mahler 2 well here, the chords are well sustained - I liked this wind version a lot.

It's nice to hear it with a very different setting. It brings out different voices. I noticed an odd note or two at 1:07-1:08 and 1:28-1:29, and I would like to suggest to make the upper voices a bit louder or basses softer in the beginning.
    Theo

Thanks for listening, Boulifb.
    To understand Mahler, you need to listen to Richard Strass (EINHELDENLEBEN, ETC); WAGNER. It's more into heavy, emotional settings.

Thanks for listening, Eugene. I feel more comfortable dealing with Winds.

Thanks for listening, FL.
    I don't introduce any woodwinds until the very end. I used the dark sounds of horns & low brass. When the flutes, clarinet & alto sax came in it was necessary to give them a low level dynamic range which is difficult to maintain in these upper ranges.
    I haven't heard this Symphony. I wrote it from a piano condensation.

Quote Originally Posted by FLWrd View Post
    It's nice to hear it with a very different setting. It brings out different voices. I noticed an odd note or two at 1:07-1:08 and 1:28-1:29, and I would like to suggest to make the upper voices a bit louder or basses softer in the beginning.
    I'm a Mahler fanatic and grew up with his 2nd symphony - one of the first pieces of classical music my parents had. (11 78-rpm platters!) I thought I new it pretty well and was going to disagree with your comment about the upper voices in the beginning, but you are right. I had the impression of thick deep bass, but the women's voices are as least as prominent as the men's.

I think you are right about 1:28-1:29. I'm less sure about 1:07-1:08 even after listening to a recording of that part several times.

Quote Originally Posted by garymosse View Post
    Thanks for listening, Boulifb.
    I haven't heard this Symphony. I wrote it from a piano condensation.
    ! Or rather, !!!

I though you were not only very familiar with the original but also had a full score. That's piano plus choral and vocal parts, I assume. Most of that section is either acapella or over very soft accompaniment so working from a piano reduction probably as good as working with full orchestra ... as long as it has the the choral part. But I can't believe you haven't heard it and still managed to that! Wow.

The only bit I thought could have been just a bit better is the part where the soprano soloist rises out of the chorus (mostly because the chorus dies away). I hear it, but not as well as I would have expected.

All in all a terrific job!

Pat

Thanks for listening, Pat.
    You remarks with regards to your experience are appreciated.
    Some works call for a definite mood. I wrote this thinking of the deep, Romantic Composers.
    I don't feel comfortable about writing for chorus.

Gary

Gary, I'm just amazed that you got it so very right without having heard the original.

Pat

Thanks for listening and commenting, Pat.

Gary

Hi Gary,

As I am just going through the board to find things which I have not yet listened to, I found your Mahler recording. As you may have noticed from some of my other posts, I am one of the Mahlerians here. I have not listened to the "original" Mahler 2 in quite a while, so I had an unbiased listen now to your recording. You did a very nice job, very unique arrangement, very enjoyable!

On my poor-quality laptop speaker here the music sounds as if there is brass in it - but you say these are only woodwinds, right?

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast