• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Harsh interference between strings in GPO

Share/Bookmark

Harsh interference between strings in GPO

Hello everyone!

Info in a nutshell: I have kinda big setup here. Section strings for each instrument category and soloists to give vibrato to, and color, the sections. Problem is that when in the same register, I have a very harsh, synthetic sound. This applied to Pocket Orchestra as well, where I have a much more modest setup of the same piece.

I tried just sections, same result. I tried less soloists, same result. I tried soloists only, same result. I tried to massage all or part of the instruments with Sonar's and Kontakt Player's effects. Same results.

Question: Is it time for Kirk Hunter's or some other library, or it's possible to get more from GPO, in spite of my limited skills? I mention here that with Pocket Orchestra I managed to get violins to play the Overture to La Traviata and The Flying Dutchman sounding quite pristine. However, when the violas come in all of the malfunctions cited above ensue.

Any opinion?

Thanks.

Re: Harsh interference between strings in GPO

Hi, Sylva - Sorry to hear you're having a problem.

"...Problem is that when in the same register, I have a very harsh, synthetic sound..."

I can't know what you mean by this without hearing a sample. Your description is subjective and I may hear the same results differently, but at least it would be good to hear what you have and then maybe come up with some suggestions.

I always layer in soloists with section strings, and feel I get good results without the sound being at all "harsh" or "synthetic" sounding. But that's my own subjective reaction to what I do. Maybe you wouldn't care for the sound I have - impossible to tell.

The only thing I can think of after reading your post, is that you may not have a good balance between the instruments.

When layering in the soloists, I keep them at a substantially lower level than the section strings. And there's no way I can get that kind of balance through MIDI control alone. I set the soloists audio faders to a much lower level. I just use my ears to slowly move their faders up from the bottom until I can start hearing their presence just slightly. At that point they've added the detail I want in the wash of the section sound.

But there's no way those soloists can be at the same level.

Maybe that will help you try getting a different balance between your instruments, and maybe the sound will be more acceptable to you.

In answer to your question, is it time to look for other libraries - I would point out the many excellent sounding demos at the Garritan site done with just GPO. Many people have obviously achieved great sounding results with the tools at hand - So I reiterate that your current problem is due to an inadequate mix.

Randy B.

I agree with Randy.

Post some samples and we could help steer you in the right direction. Also, it would probably help to let us know what you are using, i.e. notation software or sequencer.

Rob

Thank you both. Your recommendations are very welcome. I tried the mixing remedies you're suggesting. However, I think there is more room for trials. One more thing: I rigorously pay attention to processing levels in the Windows Task Manager. It looks as though the Athlon X2 5600 dual processor is becoming insufficient for the task. It's constantly at around 88-93% load. So the harshness may be due more to digital distortion rather than mix. Maybe both. Let me see what I can do to compile a sample. As for sequencer, I use Sonar Home Studio 6 XL.

Thanks, Sylva.

PS: I ordered a Phenom X4 940 with which my comp's MoBo will max out. I am not sure that SHS 6 XL will use all 4 processors, though.

Another thing that can cause harshness is odd frequencies output by reverb plugins. What reverb are you using?

Jim

Thanks Haydn.

I am not using any reverb so far. Of course, everything is bone dry. Right now I am still building track content, that is, notes only. Will have to remix. I installed the Phenom 940 and SHS 6 XL works all four processors quite nicely. Now I can listen to everything. The processor goes up to about 40% usage, but with the intervention of the brass it's bound to reach into the fifties or even sixties. This amount of processing won't generate too many distortions. Nevertheless, playback is still harsh. Again, will have to play with mixing. The winds are absolutely pristine. Clear, clean and beautiful timbre, vibrato instruments playing in unison with non vibrato ones, giving the ensemble just as much as needed. Yeah, I listened to string demos and frankly, I have no idea how they were done. Well, people have a lot more skill than I, for one thing.

Thanks for the feedback. S.

Sylva, your among friends, so even though you're still working on this piece, and it's a work in progress, it would be helpful if you'd post a section of what you have. Everyone will understand it's not a finished work. I'm very good with both Sonar and GPO, so it's possible I could get more ideas of how to help out if I could hear what you have. Plenty of other people, including those already on this thread, have the same kind of expertise and could also help. We really need to hear for ourselves.

"...This amount of processing won't generate too many distortions..."

Distortion doesn't come from not having enough processing power, only from having the DBs too high at any point in the sound chain.

We can theorize about all sorts of things, including how it's possible that what you're describing as "harshness" is the un-real, brittle sound that instruments can have before they're sitting inside a reverb environment. But it's all theorizing before we hear something.

Please post a sample.

Randy

Today I hope to finish inserting about half of so of the piece. Only notes on a large mixing plate, many strings and wind soloists, but brass still missing, nothing worked out. Then I'll try to make a file. I may have a problem, in that on this forum I don't have rights to post attachments. How am I going to post my file? I only have dialup anyway, so it'll take time to upload.

Thanks, John.

Quote Originally Posted by sylva View Post
    Today I hope to finish inserting about half of so of the piece. Only notes on a large mixing plate, many strings and wind soloists, but brass still missing, nothing worked out. Then I'll try to make a file. I may have a problem, in that on this forum I don't have rights to post attachments. How am I going to post my file? I only have dialup anyway, so it'll take time to upload.

Thanks, John.
    Hello again - I thought you had posted music on the Forum before. Wrong assumption on my part.

OK - well the ability to add attachments to posts is disabled for everyone, you're not alone in that. That's not the way we post our pictures and MP3s on these Forums.

You need to upload files to an online storage area like Box, which many of us use. Then you post the link to that file. That's how all the music is posted in The Listening Room.

I understand it's a hassle to do uploads and downloads with dial up, but hearing what you have so far could help us out in determining what the issues are.

Randy

Thanks Randy, always ready to help. I know I am among friends, that's why I trust to turn to you for help. I kind of had the intuition that my mix is not up to snuff. I'll try to upload to Box as soon as I can. Never done it before, so you'll have to bear with me. I didn't yet finish what I wanted today, but there's very little left (1.5 bars) and then I'll make it into a file. SHS doesn't make mp3 files, but there's a work around by exporting the file to Wavosaur which will make an mp3 file.

Just out of curiosity: would Sonar Studio 8.5 be running on XP64? SHS 6 does, but it doesn't recognize some important software, such as Kontakt Player and many of the soft synths I'd like to use. Because of this and other problems that Cakewalk didn't care to fix (though it promised that in their Readme file), it's pointless to attempt running Sonar in XP64. It would be helpful though, because then one would not have to freeze tracks in XP in order to run some big orchestration or running two bigger projects in the same time would not be a problem. In my case my computer croaks because of XP's memory limitations (not processor limitations anymore, which made it croak as well). John.

Go Back to forum